2 brothers & I are joint owners of a small house. How should can I take my name off the house?

Asked by Liz, Central State, Schenectady, NY Fri Jun 19, 2009

The house is valued at under $100K. There is no mortgage. I think I could gift my share to him or sell my share.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Deborah Cont…, , Malta, NY
Thu Jan 14, 2010
Hello Liz,

Contact an attorney. Please! Relatives or not, disagreements can happen as well as "Issues" with what you want to do. Yes, you can do the proces yourself, but I would strongly advise you against it and would strongly advise you to obtain and attorney to do the paperwork. You will then have the legal protection and the attorney will make sure that all parties are made aware of the process in writing. I have had clients do the very same thing for a minimal fee. Good luck!

Deborah Conti, Associate Broker, CSR, CBR, SRES, CIREB
Re/Max Park Place - Re/Max Multi-Millions Top Producer - Hundreds SOLD!
Phone: 448-9101
0 votes
Therese L Ko…, Agent, Bayside NY 11361, NY
Mon Jun 22, 2009
Hi Liz- No matter how small the house is or low it is valued- are you giving them your 1/3? Are you getting bought out?. You can get a comparative market analysis (usually free) from a local Real Estae broker and find out what the value for the house is and let them buy you out. Between the 2 of them-they should pay you approx 33K-speak to an attorney and split the cost to draw documents. $100-$200.00 dollars-it'll be worth the expense. Terry K 718-614-3167 cell or email me therese.korahais@elliman.com
0 votes
Shelley Engl…, , Glens Falls, NY
Sat Jun 20, 2009
Hello Liz,

You could also do a Quick Deed and file it through the County yourself. A Quick Deed can be purchsed at Staples or the County Clerks office will have one for you. There is a filing fee. But it is very minimal. Call your County Clerks office and speak to someone. It is a very easy process. Or you can contact an Attorney. My recommedation is to try it first yourself and save some money.

Shelley Englert,
518 812-5510
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Jun 19, 2009
Hi Liz,

This is a situation best referred to an attorney for their input. There may be other options that may be otherwise overlooked.

Good luck
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Popular Schenectady Neighborhoods

Email me when…

Learn more