Will agents in New York City negotiate their commission?

Asked by John C., New York, NY Fri Mar 6, 2009

And, if I use the same agent to list my property exclusively and work with them on the (cash) purchase of the new home, does that give them an incentive to work for lower than the 6%? Would like to hear from people familiar with the New York City standards. Thank you

Answers

5
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Fri Mar 6, 2009
i hope none of the Realtors negotiate commission. We work very hard and we should know what we are worth.

We pour hours and hours and hard earned money in continuing education, and making ourselves more valuable to you the consumer. I assume you have a job. You go to work every day and at the end of the week or month, you get a paycheck. Does your employer start negotiating your salary with you and pay you less than you deserve? What would your reaction be if that were to be what happened each payday?

National statistics show that Realtor controlled deals bring in 21.6% more $ to the seller than transactions not involving a Realtor. I think we earn our commission.

Find a good Realtor and pay them what they are worth!
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com
Rent4life, , Cleveland Heights, OH
Fri Mar 6, 2009
Try to get a free MLS listing then offer 1%. Listen if the price is right it will still get sold. You can get 5% after that. Stay strong and take advantage of all the Realtors.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Fri Mar 6, 2009
John
It sounds to me as though you have not spoken with an Realtors, is that correct?

I think you bring up a great question. Why don't you interview them and ask them?
See what they say?

You remember what you were like your first year in your profession. Why not take Mr. Save 6%'s advice and deliberately find a newbie agent, then two more seasoned agents. See what you think.

My dad always said that confidence is the feeling you have right before you truly understand the situation.
J Douglas Mo…, Agent, Douglaston, NY
Fri Mar 6, 2009
Commissions are set by individual office guidlines, there is no set commission structure in the real estate industry. Remember however that the present market is very different that it was even a year back. Realtors earn every dollar they receive from a commission, as marketing has become much more intensive and consuming. Make sure that your property is priced correctly for the area and see that it shows better than other similiar listings in the neighborhood.

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to send me an email.

Best of Luck...

Douglas Montgomery, Broker/Owner
Home NY Corp.

Douglas@HomeNY.com
Save 6% Fisbo, , Milwaukee, WI
Fri Mar 6, 2009
4% max is what is decent. They will do 1.5./1.5% - just find someone new. All they need to know is basically how to post on the MLS and print out little brochures.