Will a broker agree to a contract for less than 6 months? Or list without a contract? And what is the commission rate now?

Asked by Barrclanajr, Ronkonkoma, NY Thu Oct 31, 2013

Answers

18
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Thu Oct 31, 2013
It looks to me that you are a home seller looking to get the "mostest" for the "leastest".... oh well don't we all. Some tidbits for thought for YOU:

a) Realtors are licensed Professionals, with an enormous amount of expertise and knowledge in their particular markets, and they have constant expenses to run their business, and just imagine - surprise surprise, they do not want to work for FREE they just like everyone else need to make a living, but
Realtors do not get paid until they close with a loyal client on a property!!!!!

b) Question for YOU, would you expect your Attorney, CPA, Dentist, Family Doctor and similar provide you with their services without payment? Of course not, many take your co-pay minute one and your insurance info, or an initial min. payment like Attorneys and then bill you as they continue to provide services to YOU.....

So now back to your various questions....

Why would you want a 6 months or less contract? (Remember the Realtor will decide based on your local market, style and size and price range of your home, upgrades/updates, lot size and how well your home will show in the current market, how long it will take potentially to have a contract on the home, 6 months may be a good time, but the Realtor could very well estimate that it may take longer!
And it will then also all depend what asking price you the seller will agree to......
You own and love your home, but the Realtor will look at the home in relationship to the comps and
how a potential buyer will look at the home, it is a different perspective~
Furthermore remember when you interview and meet first with a local Realtor, that Realtor also is
interviewing YOU, in other words the experienced Realtor will determine how serious you are about
selling your home, and how agreeable you are to the pricing and preparation of the home for a reasonably quick sale.....

A licensed Realtor / Real Estate Brokerage WILL NOT LIST A HOME FOR SALE WITHOUT A
CONTRACT, it is a legal transaction, and lots of money involved in the sale price and the closing fees, and yes the marketing and advertising fees and enormous amounts of time involved on the side of the Listing Agent/Office, absolutely a listing Agreement will be necessary!

What is the commission Rate now! Well this is another problem NO REALTOR SHOULD ANSWER THIS QUESTION, why BECAUSE ALL commissions in a listing agreement are negotiable and
therefore there is no current rate! Furthermore the rate itself often depends on the needs of advertising, marketing, open houses, etc. etc., i.e. depends on the efforts the listing office/agent has to make in order to get the home sold, some properties require more than others. The commission and what the services are that it includes will be discussed with you by your listing agent before
signing a listing agreement...and will be in writing.

I hope this explains it a bit better for you. And always remember, as with everything else in life,
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.....

Good Luck to you!

Sincerely yours & a Great Day to YOU
Edith YourRealtor4Life
@Properties – 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Il. 60093
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com WEB: http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4LIfe
City of Chicago,N&NW suburbs; also W&SW subs – NORTH SHORES Fine Homes
Worldwide Services French, German, Spanish and more
I meant it was a answer question.. opps.. :o)
Flag Fri Jan 27, 2017
I sent a email as a reply, this woman really seems full of herself in her first sentence, it is a honest answer and maybe this is a first time buyer or seller and didn't know. So for people to jump to conclusions like this woman did, is one reason why I hate to sign 6 month contracts, you never know what kind of realtor you are going to get and you end up stuck.
Flag Fri Jan 27, 2017
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Commission is always negotiable between you and your agent, there are no set standards; therefore choose your agent with care and not by commission alone. The lenght of the listing can also be negotiated, but don't expect to list without an agreement; keep in mind that without it, highly unlikely anyone will properly market the property.
Thomas Moser, Agent, East Northport, NY
Thu Oct 31, 2013
The length of the listing agreement and the commission rate are both negotiable. It is impossible to "list" without a contract, as without a listing agreement an agent cannot put your home on the MLS.

Tom Moser
Keystone Realty USA

Long Island's Commission Rebate Realtor
http://RefundAtClosing.com
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Everything's negotiable in writing.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Thu Oct 31, 2013
The terms and conditions of a listing agreement are negotiable.
With my "First Look' options a home can be sold without a listing agreement or preferably a 30 day listing agreement (to be extended when offer accepted). The availability of such options rely on the agility of the professionals involved and that agents influence in the top three tiers of motivated and qualifed buyers.
-
This WILL require a strong committment from the home seller also. Sorry, this is not some foggy starategy where the agents commits the resouces only to be betrayed by the seller. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SELL, the options you seek are available...and always have been. But they are ONLY available for 'A LIST' buyers and sellers. Prove yourself to be worthy of 'A LIST' ranking and watch what happens. Please be aware, this strategy is very, outcome focused. If you confiuse this with low cost services....you are not an "A List' seller.

Call a local REALTOR and have a open and honest discussion.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Move to the FRONT OF THE LINE (http://FirstLookHomes.us)
Terry Farnsw…, Agent, Lisle, IL
Thu Oct 31, 2013
You might find a broker willing to do a 3-6 month listing, but typically due to the amount of work that it takes and the amount of upfront cost an agent has to generally assume to do the job right - most will want a longer term commitment.

If you just want an agent to take some pictures with an IPhone, slap your house on the MLS, and wait for phone calls, then I'm sure there are more than a few agents who would be willing to take the business.

No licensed broker is going to list your home without a written contract signed by all parties involved.

There is no "standard" commission rate, and it is illegal for agents to suggest that "you are going to pay roughly the same regardless of who you choose". Commission is 100% negotiable.

Hope this helps!
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Oct 31, 2013
You will be hard pressed to find an agent who will work without a contract, it is for both or your protections. As far as time, that is negotiable, 90 days is more like average then 6 months. As far as commission, it is ILLEGAL for any agent to discuss commissions in a public forum, you should ask what as agent charges and most important, what you get for what you pay. They can tell you what they charge, but cant discuss what others charge,
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Fri Nov 1, 2013
I won't say listing for less than six month is not done, the question is: what is the days on market in the area? This will help the agent determine if it is worth taking such a listing. Without a contract you should not expect an agent to market the property(spend money) Commission has to be discussed with the agent you are considering listing with.
Fajardo Dela…, Agent, Flushing, NY
Fri Nov 1, 2013
Try to interview a few agent and ask for rate and is if you they are willing to
negotiable. Try to get the best agent it will save you time and money.
Fajardo Delacruz
347 932-0609
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Hi Barrclanajr, as everyones has said commissions and length are negotiable with your agent. Have a few agents in to see the house and give you their opinions on it's value and how they would market it. Keep in mind that the cheapest commission is not always the best deal for you, if the house doesn't sell the commission doesn't matter. You should be able to find the right blend of commission, marketing and personal style. You will be entering into an important business relationship, picking an agent whose style conflicts with yours can add a lot of stress to the undertaking. Write down some questions for the agents so you can compare apples to apples answers. Don't be afraid to ask anything as you want to be clear on what the agent will or will not do for you. Good luck and choose wisely.

Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, BPOR
Licensed Associate Broker
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.SuffolkFreeCMA.com
http://www.NassauFreeCMA.com
#1 Listing & Selling Office on Long Island
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 208
Plainview, New York 11803
Jonathan Dal…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Commissions are variable and negotiable. Listing agreement lengths are variable and negotiable.

Virtually zero chance of finding an agent who will list a home without a contract given all the liability that goes into listing a property.
Web Reference:  http://expiredtosoldaz.com
Elizabeth Ag…, Agent, Farmingville, NY
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Good Morning,
Yes, broker may agree to a contract for less than 6 months.

You cannot list without a contract.

We can discuss the services we offer in our company including commission terms.

Elizabeth Agurto
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Much depends on how you price the house. If the house is priced to sell, it should sell in less than six months. We cannot "list" a house - that is use the multiple listing service of Long Island without a contract. There are several different options available to you. Commissions are negotiable. I would be happy to meet with you to discuss your needs. Good luck.
Irene Renna, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Good Morning Barrclanajr !

To answer your question, Yes, on the 6 month listing. No on the list without a contract. Commissions are negotiable.
The important question is do you really want to sell your house?

If so, the length of the listing should not be an issue for you.
Getting an assertive agent who will work hard for you is.

Many agents will shy away from a short listing period for several reasons. I would be happy to continue the discussion via phone so please feel free to call me and I will assist you in any way I can. Have a great day!!!

Get your mobile search app here:

http://app.kw.com/KW2O82ADI

Enter code kw2o82adi at the startup of the app for all the latest info

Irene M. Renna

Licensed Real Estate Salesperson

Certified Buyer Representative

Keller Williams Realty Homes & Estates

400 Townline Road, Suite 145

Hauppauge, NY 11788

Business 631-352-3210

Cell 631-291-2180

Office 631-675-0770

Irene.Renna@Gmail.com

Providing Outstanding Service to BOTH Buyers & Sellers

http://www.IreneSellsHouses.com
Lawrence Gar…, Agent, Massapequa, NY
Thu Oct 31, 2013
A fair question: You should interview more than one agent. An agent that is willing to work for less and not sign a contract is probably not the best choice for you. This is one of your biggest assets it should be treated as such looking for a bargain will ultimately cost you time and money in the end. I would love to be one of your candidates for hire. Have a great day!!

Life's Good,

Lawrence Gardner :-)
Exit Realty All Pro
1-631-647-8844 Ext. 107
1-631-742-4657 Cell
Carol Claudon, Agent, Seminole, FL
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Just to throw this out there...I spend money listing a house. I advertise my listings in local media, I pay money for signs and lockboxes that go on the doors. My company helps me with some of these expenses (because I am with CENTURY 21 and they provide much support to their agents), but I do have expenses that go into listing a home. I spend time listing a house--more than just the listing agreement--I work hard to get just the right pictures and generate a good visual tour, I pitch the listing at our meetings and make sure it gets to all the right websites and that it is presented in its best light. Most good agents do more behind the scenes that it appears that they do. I could continue to hash through all I do to list a home, but you have to realize that I am not about to begin this process without the seller's loyalty expressed in a formal agreement. Perhaps you will find an agent who might agree to cut commission or work without a contract. Ask yourself if you want a professional or a fly-by-night person representing your negotiation? It's more than just the digital pictures...you are talking about contracts, negotiations, and qualifying buyers. CHOOSE WISELY!

Carol Claudon
CENTURY 21 Top Sales
Seminole, FL
Javier Menes…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Melville, NY
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Also, make sure you speak to a local Realtor who knows how business is done in Long Island. The way things are done in other parts of the country is not the way things are done in our market.
Thu Oct 31, 2013
Commission is typically 5-6% and you might find a broker willing to take on a listing for 3 or 4 months. The thing is that for some good brokers, there is more to it than just listing a house. It's not just doing the paperwork and submitting to MLS, there is more to it. Because of this, you're more than likely not going to find a broker who will list your house without a contract.

The best thing a serious seller can do is interview more than one broker. Ask questions, find out what the broker does to market the house, how often they'll do open houses, where does that broker stand in the market share, what will the selling agent's commission be on MLS, etc. Do your homework.

Once you think you found the right person, don't be afraid to sign a listing agreement. I'm sure other brokers here will have more advice for you as well. But don't be afraid of committing for 6 months to the right broker.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(516) 740-4478 Office
(516) 918-5383 Fax