Why use an Estate Agent at all? I could put up a board in my garden and save on the fee’s that Estate Agents charge.

Asked by Ynspecter, Oakland, CA Thu Apr 4, 2013

Answers

16
John Juarez’s answer
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
You did not ask a question…you made a statement that is tantamount to waiving a red flag in front of a bull. Look at the reactions that you got!

Your statement is either one of supreme confidence – it is true that a small fraction of home sellers are competent and confident is regard to managing a sale without professional help – or you statement displays abject ignorance – most sellers have no clue how much work an experienced, competent professional puts into helping their clients end up with the best possible outcome in regard to the sale of their property.

Notice that I used the word “professional”. The very word speaks to the fact the selling a house entails more than putting up a “board”.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Apr 4, 2013
ps

you must be from Great Britain - I believe they call Realtors "estate agents" there!
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Hi Ynspecter:

There are some less than thorough answers below and a couple with some real information. The main thing you should take away from this discussion is that this is not like selling a used car. You don't just collect the money, sign the back of the title and hand over the keys.

There is a lot to consider about pricing the home, finding the buyer who will write you the best offer (and negotiating that offer), understanding the purchase contract, working through inspections and other deadlines, providing required information to the buyer, answering due diligence concerns and arranging for title insurance and closing service. Then there are all those legalities (Federal, State and local) that can cause you problems if you are not aware of what you are doing. You don't want to contend with a lawsuit down the road. "Caveat emptor" simply does not apply here. Don't get me wrong. Homes are sometimes sold by their owners without the help of real estate agents. However, It is much more complicated that just placing a sign in the yard. Before you try to sell it yourself, you need to obtain a lot more information.

Ron Rovtar,
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Jackie Care, Agent, oakland, CA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Many moons ago when I was not an agent I recall having the same question. 6% for what?!
Well neither the buyers or the listing agent and their brokerage are going to work for free, and you probably don't either. So you'll have to pay the buyers side and then you're down to 3%. Then if you have any sense you will at least use an attorney and pay a service to put it on the MLS, so maybe that's another 1-2% depending on your price range. And hopefully you will spend some money on marketing unless you only want the people who drive past your house to know about it. So at this point maybe you're saving 1%-2% . Most people like to have an expert steer them through a process
where saying or doing the wrong thing and not knowing the process or the players can lose you far more than you "save" not paying a listing agent. And then there is always the 1% who should probably go for it!
Benni.gholami, Both Buyer And Seller, Dallas, TX
Tue Jan 13, 2015
I suppose that you could do your own advertising for your house for sale or rent, but the estate agent will probably have a great network of contacts that you might not, and you can take a breather while letting your guy do all the work for you. To each his own though. Do what makes you comfortable.
Josh Barnett, Agent, Carney, OK
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Individuals hire professionals to ensure a job is done correct and that their rights are looked after properly.
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Hi Nanette: Thanks for pointing out that the questioner likes to "get a rise" out of us. I like to know where people are really coming from. However, this is a question that does cross many sellers' minds, so I am not feeling too taken in. By framing the question in such a basic way, I think Ynspecter gave us the opportunity to get down to some real basics that other readers will find valuable.

So, if Nanette is correct about your motives Yinspecter, hats off to you!

'Ron
Nanette Kune…, , Oakland, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Hey everyone: Joke's on us!

This "Ynspecter" is a known Trulia troll that likes to sponge any free advice they can but also get a rise out of agents with provocative (& lame) questions.

At a minimum - waste our collective time. Look how much has been wasted on just this 1 post?

And, yes, the irony is not lost on me wasting even more time pointing this out :p

Please - let's agree to starve the trolls on Trulia! And get back to helping our real (& paying) clients with real issues.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Apr 4, 2013
OK, so do that!

Question asked and answered!

Now, wasn't that easy?
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Thu Apr 4, 2013
I am not sure if you are aware of all the details that fall into selling or buying real estate these days.
It seems that you are selling in Oakland, CA, you want the home prepared, repaired and staged the best way possible to get the most interest of potential buyers, you want to price it right and only an experienced area Realtor can provide you with all the data, making adjustments for the items your property has or lacks of compared to recently sold homes, or currently on the market homes.....

If you are not considering to work with a Realtor, who is a well educated and experienced professional, who will not only market, advertise, show, your home but also negotiate the best terms and price for YOU, the seller.

Have you ever used a Realtor?

If you need a recommendation let me know I gladly send one your way for the Oakland, CA area.
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties ---- EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Diana Huggins, Agent, Castro Valley, CA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Ok, you get a buyer or buyer's WOW, that was easy! So now what are you
going to do hot shot?

You are out of your mind !
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
If that is how little you hold us in regard; please, do it yourself.
Antoine Pirs…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
About 88 things can go wrong with selling your house. How many of those do you know and what to do about it when they occur? And then there are all the legal and City requirements. How many do you know ?
Antoine
Nanette Kune…, , Oakland, CA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Just do it then. Why bother going to Trulia QUESTIONS with such a strident STATEMENT?

Hope you make (or even know) all the proper disclosures. Buyer lawsuits really suck....
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
Go for it. .
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Thu Apr 4, 2013
I'm sure you will hear from several folks on the whys.

You may find it interesting that the founder of ForSaleByOwner.com gave up on trying to sell his own place, and used a realtor to do it.

See http://agbeat.com/housing-news/forsalebyowner-com-founder-gi…

The articles states: AGBeat columnist Herman Chan said, “If people want to take a stab at For Sale By Owner (ie FSBO), go for it. But well over 80% of FSBO’s eventually have to list with an real estate agent to get their house sold. It’s harder than it looks!”

It goes beyond the hows...there are mandated disclosures that a seller should provide to the buyer. How much do you know is required, and are you insured against any errors/omissions?