Why does the seller have to disclose if he is an architect? Why not a fireman? Or a doctor?

Asked by Architect, Philadelphia County, PA Wed Apr 22, 2009

Answers

3
Abu Musa, Agent, New York, NY
Mon May 21, 2012
Yes because an architect knows about the construction more then any other person, so an architect see the properties problem more than other people.
Erica Ramus,…, Agent, Pottsville, PA
Thu Apr 23, 2009
Builders, contractors, and yes architects have had training that gives them more indepth knowledge about homes and construction than your average fireman or doctor or teacher or whatever. With this in depth knowledge comes a greater burden on you to DISCLOSE DISCLOSE DISCLOSE when you know there is a property flaw. So if you do not disclose a problem, and later the buyer finds out you knew about it (or SHOULD HAVE known about it) someone with greater knowledge/experience will be held to a higher standard.

For example, if you do not disclose that there is dryrot around the door frame and the buyer finds it after the sale, he could sue you for not disclosing. If you're a doctor, you might say "I don't even know what dry rot is, so how could I know my house has it?" The judge might believe the doctor. But a contractor or a professional -- not so easy to say you didn't know it was there.

Bottom line: no matter what your profession, DISCLOSE anything you know that is a problem/flaw with your property so it doesn't come back to bite you later.
Web Reference:  http://move2pennsylvania.com
Kevin, , Media, PA
Wed Apr 22, 2009
Archie,

This is a great question, I recently had a seller who is employed by the vriendly neighborhood telephone/television/internet company disclose that he is a Low Voltage Wiring Technician. An unrelated answer on the same topic would be to make sure that form is filled out completely, the majority of real estate transaction related lawsuits stem from what is or more often, is not disclosed.

Kevin