Tom Audet, Both Buyer and Seller in 04401

Why do people list their house for sale, but with its "Address Not Disclosed"?

Asked by Tom Audet, 04401 Fri Mar 27, 2009

When I'm house-hunting, I won't waste any time looking at a listing unless I can see where it is on the Map and Street View. Location is so important to people, why would you purposefully leave that information out of your listing? It's like putting your car in the Newspaper want ads, but not saying what kind of car it is. What are people trying to gain by not listing the location?

This is the same reason a seller doesn't want a sign on their property. Some of these sellers are prominent people in their community, own large businesses and don't want to worry about customers thinking they would be closing their businesses. I speak from experience owning a business for over 30 years. We had to be very careful when we moved.
This is so important for a seller to have an agent to protect their privacy. If you are really interested in a particular property contact REALTOR and have them send you the specifics and pictures so you can make an informed decision. You don't want to miss your dream home by overlooking just one of those properties. LIsa
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 4, 2013
I believe that some agents or sellers may just want the phone to ring and have a conversation with folks who may be interested in the property. They may be forgetting that we are living in 2014 where consumers "need" instant information and will pass up possible opportunities is critical details are eliminated. Take a second and call to find out where the place is. It could be just the place for you.
Hi Tom

There are some great answers below given by my peers.

Many times, there are erroneous posts.
Some owners and agents list as they can be scam artists.
Others post to look busy on web sites, and have their names there.

Most post, as a home maybe "Coming Soon" and one is creating awareness.
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
They want to not have "drive-bys"...and this is a sure fire way to do it. "Address not Disclosed" will also potentially keep it from being posted on Realtor.com ....and then the listing won't be sent out to syndicated websites (it will be the best kept secret a seller ever has" ! )
Tom, in glancing at the responses to your question, so far, all are correct. The only other thing I would add is that once a buyer is 100% committed to purchasing a home, they normally recruit an agent who will know what areas, style etc. are important to that buyer. That agent will find properties that meets the buyer's search criteria and obviously share any undisclosed addresses secure in the knowledge that the buyer is committed to purchasing a home. There are a lot of buyers who are really "lookers" and don't have any real intention of purchasing. Agents and sellers alike need to manage their time effectively and sellers sometimes chose withholding an address to weed out the "legitimate" buyers from the "lookers".

For sale by owners may want to keep their location a bit low key & not have drive-bys or unannounced door knockers. Some folks don't want the neighbors to know they are selling.The majority of the properties listed for sale in the Multiple Listing System have the address set up for public knowledge. In the "olden" days- -it was everyday practice to keep the address out of the ads- that was to encourage prospective buyers to call the real estate office. . Marketing styles have totally changed with the introduction of the Internet.
Instant gratification is the norm now ! Why don't you contact a local agent who can conduct searches in the particular areas that interest you the most? Any one of them would be more than glad to help you ...and it may put an end to your frustrations.

Town & Country, Realtors
1162 Union St.
Bangor, Me 04401
Hi Tom - I would twist your analogy a bit. Actually, it's like putting your car in the paper, telling what kind of car it is, maybe posting photos on line but not telling where you have it parked. I do understand what you are saying about location and of course, it is so relevant to real estate and not to cars.
Continuing the discussion: the practice of posting addresses is fairly recent in Maine. Until a few years ago, you never saw addresses on the websites, just Realtor contact info. It is not uncommon to leave the address out at the request of the Seller if it is a high end property and/or vacant. Or it could be an elderly person who has concern for security. Or any of the reasons listed below. BUT almost always now, if an address is not included, it is at the request of the Seller - an agent prefers to post to address whenever possible but will always (and in fact must) honor a Seller's preferences in advertising location.
A third and fourth reason to add to Rockinblu's 2 is 3. homeowner has hired an agent to market the home and does not want the address published and 4. homeowner has hired an agent to market the home and does not want people knocking on their door. It depends a lot on where you live, too. In my area it isn't customery to publish the address. If you are working with an agent they can tell you the addresses, and I'm sure the agent would rather you rule out homes in advance rather than driving all over to unsuitable homes.
Hi Tom,
A lot of people don't want strangers coming to their house or even driving by. Sometimes they haven't told their employer that they are planning a move. They could be in a private location or on a long driveway where they would be uncomfortable with people coming by to see their house.
If you don't want to waste a lot of your time, get yourself a buyer's agent. We can do all that homework for you and it usually costs the buyer nothing. Give me a call and I'd be happy to explain how it works.