Which home improvment project would be the best ROI; french drain to control seeping water in the basement or remodel the bathroom? Or both?

Asked by Photious, Indianapolis, IN Wed Sep 28, 2011

I am researching what to do to sell my home in Indianapolis, specifically Irvington. I have been collecting estimates for making improvements to both the bathroom and basement.. I don't know if I should invest in both? It seems that most homes that we looked at in Irvington had leaky basements? Is that a common issue?

Answers

5
Marita Topmi…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Thu Sep 13, 2012
French drain first, then bath. A dry basement/foundation will give buyers a
secure feeling about the condition of the home. Update the bath as much
as you can afford to after that because people think critically of kitchens
and baths. Then clean, clean, clean.

Kind Regards,

Marita
J, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Thu Sep 29, 2011
In general, it sounds like leaky basements are an issue in this area according to what you've written. I guess you may want to ask yourself if you would buy a home with a leaky basement. Updates (any) are always a plus in today's market. Putting yourself in the shoes of a potential buyer when selling a home is a good rule of thumb. Good luck!
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Wed Sep 28, 2011
French drain first.

Reason: Water seeping into the basement can be a deal killer. Adding a French drain won't add value to your home; buyers will expect a dry basement. (Despite your observation about the many leaky basements that you've seen.)

Remodeling the bathroom (assuming it would benefit from a remodel) probably would be a good thing to do. Kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. They make them a lot more desirable. So I encourage you to consider doing that, too.

But given a choice: Definitely stop the seepage first.

Home Selling…, , Virginia
Wed Sep 28, 2011
Photious ~

I don't know your area, but has or does your basement leak? If so, then yes, find a solution and fix.

Kitchens and baths are the top 2 remodeling projects to help sell a home.

You may not get back the money, but you could sell faster (depending on how the rest of the home shows).

You can visit my blog for lots of free tips on how to show a home when selling.

Alex Pereira…, Agent, Farmington Hills, MI
Wed Sep 28, 2011
any time you have seepage into a basement you want to control it. its not a matter of better return, its a matter of marketability. Very few buyers will buy a home with water issues in a basement. There certainly are homes with water issues but trying to sell one is next to impossible for a good price.