Which home improvement option would give a seller more bang for their buck in a two-story rowhouse: adding a roof deck, or finishing the basement?

Asked by Jillian T, Philadelphia, PA Sun Jul 27, 2014

Answers

3
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Sun Nov 23, 2014
If finishing the basement space adds living space then definitely that is the way to go.
Eric Fox, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Sun Nov 23, 2014
Hi Jillian. It really depends upon the space and condition of the rest of the home in my opinion. Adding a roof deck is certainly one of those things that could convince a buyer to purchase your home versus another house whereas a finished basement doesn't typically have the same effect on a prospective buyer (it's not as much of a wow factor). But again, it really depends upon your house. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Simon Campbe…, Agent, Miami Beach, FL
Sun Jul 27, 2014
If remodeling is being completed in order to sell the property rather than increase the pleasure of living in the property, a home owner must carefully weigh the costs against the return. In the 2014 Cost vs. Value Report produced by Remodeling Magazine, the average return on a remodeling project is only 66.1%. Of course, some projects have a much higher return. Some areas of the country, for example the Pacific Region, has a greater return on investment. It is good to calculate the return before a project begins.
Knowing what is important to the area you are trying to sell in is important. Personally I would go with finishing the basement. Having that extra enclosed area can be really nice for a lot of people.
http://deyoungbrothers.com/services.htm
Flag Fri Oct 24, 2014