Where is the best place to advertise a home for sale?

Asked by Heidi, Norwell, MA Tue Jul 29, 2008

Aside from MLS where should I advertise my house for sale? Newspaper? Online sites?

Answers

17
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Heidi
The question I would pose is this:
Do you want to advertise your home, or sell it?
There are many places to advertise your home As a owner selling without professional representation, forsaleowner.com, owners.com, fizber.com are all great places. You can also find a flat fee MLS entry only broker that will list your home in the MLS. You pay the buyer's agent their percentage, then you save a couple of percentage points WHEN and IF you sell.

You should be aware of a few facts that might help you shape your plans:
1. Buyers use a Realtor 90% of the time. Why? Because the buyer does not pay anything. They get an expert negotiator, someone who knows the neighborhood, for free. And what is a buyer's most precious commodity? Time.

2. Owners selling without professional representation sell to someone they know 5% of the time, someone they don't know 5% of the time, and list with a Realtor 86% of the time. Not surprising, when only dealing with 10% of the market homes sold by owners without professional representation sell on average for 15% less than those sold by Realtors.

Think about it. If a buyer can get a Realtor to do all the work for free, why would a buyer not use a Realtor? Answer - because they think they can get a better deal than a Realtor can. So is it any wonder that homes sold by owners without professional representation sell for less on average?

So, what is your best move? MLS entry only broker? Could be, but I did a survey of limited service and MLS Entry only Brokers in my MLS
1. The fail to sell 33% more often
2. They sell, on average, for about 2.2% less the Full Service
3. They take longer to sell.

So, it would not surprise you to know that a REaltor that knows their job can help you net more at closing. I suggest that you interview three Realtors. Ask them for an Estimate of Seller's Net Proceeds.
Then you run the numbers and make the call.

You may be able to sell on your own. GREAT
If not, you have a plan B.
THank you so much for your advise. I think I will call a realtor. Just not sure where to go? Google might help? Thanks again, Diana
Flag Tue Aug 1, 2017
Homes that sell by brokers sell for more? How can you possibly prove that statistic? I hired a real estate professional who wanted to list my condo for sale for only $125,000 and I said to him, how about listing it at $135,000 and he tried to talk me out of the higher price and I insisted and the place sold the first day for $135,000 because I pushed him to list it at that higher price. So, if you can prove that pros sell homes for higher prices, how do you prove that? There is no possible way to even prove this because the same home cannot be sold twice by a so called pro and then by a homeowner to prove the statistic. This is just a bunch of bull that agents have made up to scare people into hiring them.
Flag Sun Nov 8, 2015
I can't get my realtor to advertise (which is not free for them). I'd love to know where I can promote it myself, even if at my own expense.
Flag Sun Aug 9, 2015
that would happen even if you didnt have a realtor. Closing cost are on all unless the seller pays them for you. and as for you help buyer with closing cost that was a negotiation you had to agree to.
Flag Wed Sep 24, 2014
Not really!! I am selling my house and I have to pay $10,000 closing cost and $5,000 helping buyer... So how can u say its for free? I live in Va. I would think the buyer needs to pay closing cost and the seller just has to pay for lawyer, and some fees?
Flag Thu May 22, 2014
@Keith Sorem, interesting stats on entry only MLS listings versus full commission listings, it's inevitably a market by market discussion. Glendale entry only MLS listings may perform poorly, however, Massachusetts entry only MLS listings are performing quite well, selling a lot faster than full commission listings and at a higher price per square foot - a recent example of what's happening in Roslindale (a Boston neighborhood) is noted at http://entryonlynewengland.com/roslindale-boston-flat-fee-mls-fsbo/.
Flag Tue Nov 26, 2013
Karina Altie…, Home Buyer, Guilford, CT
Thu Aug 28, 2014
MLS is only available and most used by real state agents and truly when a person is looking to buy a house , automatically they will go to the most known site such a Trulia a zillow where they have accesses to... for sale by owner i think is the best way to do go ... you can save a lot of money as a seller/ buyer why paying to 2 reals state agent crazy %%% $$$$ ... it is better to have a good attorney and have him do it all, protect yourself .
I agree, except, I advertised on Zillow, and I checked owner to get information on my house for sale, and I got a call from a real estate agent who told my house was showing as sold.
Flag Sat Feb 27, 2016
Dean Charles, Other Pro, Boston, MA
Wed Jan 23, 2013
@Heidi We're now in an age of what I would call the "Internet Enabled MLS". The Multiple Listing Service (MLS) is the source, all property listed in the MLS is then syndicated across the web to literally thousands of websites, large and small.

Do you select a flat fee MLS entry only listing service and save on Realtor fees, or, do you list with a traditional real estate brokerage approach, there are times and places for each. One thing remains true regardless of which route you take, that is, the MLS needs to be your starting point.

Dean Charles
http://entryonlynewengland.com
Dianacodered, Home Buyer, Port Saint Lucie, FL
Tue Aug 1, 2017
wanting to sell a beautiful 3/2/2 in port st Lucie Florida that backs up to a wild life preserve. Once the bridge is finished in a few years it will be 15 minutes to one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida. [half hour now] Forty minutes to palm beach, 2 hours to Orlando. Priced around $200,000. Plush carpeting, 20x20" porcelain Italian tile, Real wood new cabinetry throughout, granite, pass thru window in the kitchen to 40' porch, wet bar, planter, New paint and screen rooms, the front entry also, indoor skylight & planter in foyer.Almost all rooms open to porch. . fenced yard. Immediate occupancy. Great Deal, moving. WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO ADVERTISE?
RealtyWW Info, Other Pro, Kirovograd, SD
Mon Jun 6, 2016
Hi! if you're searching where to advertise a home

- you can try http://realtyww.info/

It is free and international

Furthermore, every ad will be distributed to social medias.
The Graveline…, Agent, Longmeadow, MA
Tue Feb 3, 2015
If it's on the MLS, staged, and priced well it will sell. Online sites mirror MLS listings, you're already there. Wouldn't recommend newspapers.. Winter is slower, but we're still moving property.
Robert Graham, Home Buyer, Atlanta, GA
Sun Feb 1, 2015
Zillow or websites similar
Mike Mathers, Other Pro, New York, NY
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Honestly in my opinion the best place to post a home listing is on ZidoZone.com
Users can also see all your other listings by clicking on your profile this way it increases the exposure to yourself and to your homes. Unlike craigslist with ZidoZone I believe you are providing a wider selection.
Web Reference:  http://www.ZidoZone.com
Ralph Lanzet…, Agent, Canton, MA
Thu Sep 15, 2011
First, it should be professionally priced and then it should be advertised on all of the most popular web sites such as Trulia, Zillow, etc... Your local real estate office will post it to MLS and depending on partnering agreements, your ad will then propagate to most of the other on-line search sites. This keeps you from wasting time researching all of the other web sites and manually entering your ad with them. Why reinvent the real estate wheel.
cheers
Ralph.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue Sep 13, 2011
No questions online. It is where the majority of modern day home buyers start their search. Also in the sunday section for open houses. Make a website for your home and do a bunch of seo so it shows up when buyers are searching certain key words.
Web Reference:  http://territory.com
Tom and Joan…, Agent, Boston, MA
Sat Sep 10, 2011
Heidi:

The most important component to advertising a home for sale is the offering price! If you are not within the market suggested price range it does not matter what you do it will not sell. If you are within the market suggested price range then the next most important component is your professional photography. Everything starts with the photography. Best
Jennifer Cub…, Agent, Hanover, MA
Thu Sep 8, 2011
I agree if you are not going to use a REALTOR, wasting your time on print is probably the worst way to go about letting people know your house is for sale. This is the age of technology and papers are going out of style. People rarely read the paper anymore. Your best bet is to use a site like this or FSBO (for sale by owner). I would also recomment Craigslist. However I do have to tell you that your best option is to use a REALTOR. A REALTOR can give you exposure to all of these sites and so much more, however at this point I am sure that you are already aware of this. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to contact me.
Chris Head, Agent, Norwell, MA
Thu Oct 22, 2009
Other than the MLS, which gets your property on Realtor.com, this site and Zillow will be your best bets. I wouldn't waste money on print unless you have a specialty property such as a luxury, waterfront or antique home.
Yea those are fine but a lot of people these days are using classified ads websites a lot more because they are just easier to use. Check out ZidoZone.com you might like it.
Flag Tue Jan 22, 2013
Chris Head, Agent, Norwell, MA
Wed Sep 9, 2009
Hi Heidi,

Seriously consider Keith's comments. I know it sounds self serving coming from a real estate agent, but those are the facts.

If you are determined to go unrepresented, don't waste your money on print advertising. If you have a fair amount of traffic past your property, get a property specific website and advertise the domain on your For Sale sign. (A professional sign please- no home made signs!) There are a number of sites who host single property websites for short money. Visit http://www.32TroutFarm.com to see one of my property sites. Take good pictures or hire someone to take them for you.

Craigslist is good for traffic, and you can drive people to your property specific site from there also.

Most important - Never show your home by yourself! Make sure you have someone there with you.

Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Craigslist is great. You can also try posting responses on real estate blogs. I would also consider making a simple website for your property (with pictures, brief description and your property info) and then doing some seo so when people search google for places in your area the website comes up top of the list.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
whats an seo that is referred to in your post , so when people search the site comes to the top??
Flag Thu Dec 27, 2012
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Jul 29, 2008
GREAT QUESTION: General public views so many sources of the media, any place you can place an ad to your advantage. If you are using the web keywords will be critical. You need to check with you listing agent determine your not in violation of the listing agreement.

Your listing agent can post your property here on Trulia.
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Hi Heidi- I assume by this question you are not hiring a real estate broker to market and advertise your home for you (?).
If that's the case, Yes- getting the listing on MLS is a key. Other than that, I have sold 2 of my own homes without help of a broker, and I can say the following-
Newspapers are very much hit and miss, and are pretty expensive to advertise in.
I sold my condo via a newspaper ad, and no RE agent was involved on either side. (This is a rarity.)
Craiglist doesn't hurt and its free. You might get lucky.
Get a decent yard sign, if possible. Those $2 hardware store yard signs aren't going to do your home or listing justice. (and are hard to read/ small)
You might consider ISoldMyHouse.com also. That does cost some $$- not sure what. I think it's close to $500 or more to list there. Used to be about $100 -4-5 years ago.

If I can be of service, please let me know. Thanks,
Ken L.