Where can I go to find out if the additions on the property is permitted?

Asked by Denise, San Gabriel, CA Tue Jan 26, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jerry Sun’s answer
Jerry Sun, Agent, Pasadena, CA
Thu Dec 13, 2012
Go to the San Gabriel City Hall (See links below) Building Dept.
Just give one of the city clerk the "address" of the subject property than they will provide you ALL the permits available for the subject property. Good luck...
0 votes
Helen Chong, Agent, San Jose, CA
Tue Feb 1, 2011
You can go to San Gabriel City Hall on 425 S. Mission Drive, San Gabriel, CA 91776. As soon as you walk in, you'll see the planning and development department right in front of you. Just give them the address and ask to see all the permits for this property.
0 votes
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Tue Jan 26, 2010
The City Hall Building Department is always the right place to go to get any information on a property’s history of permitted work. If permits DO NOT show up, then the odds are 99.999999999 that permits were not pulled. Properties with unpermitted work are a substantial risk.

The following posts may be helpful:

You TOO Can Purchase A Ticking Time Bomb! One Easy Step!

What Might Your Next Home Purchase Have In Common With The Titanic?
0 votes
Joel Dameral, Agent, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Tue Jan 26, 2010
Your local building department will have the information on all the permits that have been opened and completed on your property. Depending on when the house was built they should also have the approved plans (possibly on film) that the house was built with. You can then determine if the addition was permitted. If this is a house that you bought the information about the addition should have been in the disclosures.

Good Luck,
0 votes
Daina Burness, Agent, Burbank, CA
Tue Jan 26, 2010
You could try http://www.thepermitreport.com . I believe you need to pay for the service but you don't have to go all over town to get them.
0 votes
Joan Patters…, Agent, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tue Jan 26, 2010
HI Denise,

I would advise you to go to city hall and the building and planning department. There they should be able to help you to find out what is or is not permitted.

Good luck!

Joan Patterson, B.A., G.R.I., A.S.P., Realtor, License #01431647
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Tue Jan 26, 2010
You should start with the HOA if there is one, after that, you can check with the city.

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in San Gabriel Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more