When do houses get listed for the spring market? How long does the spring market typically last?

Asked by Kathleen, Boston, MA Mon Feb 11, 2008

Answers

19
Fran Berman, Agent, Groton, MA
Tue Mar 31, 2015
Because of our long snowy winter, some towns are a little behind in the Spring Market.
Usually the listings are ready to be offered by the end of March through April for the Spring Market.
The Spring Market usually last through the end of May,
Ellen D'Ambr…, Agent, Duxbury, MA
Tue Mar 24, 2015
I would consider March, April, May and June to be the true spring market. If you are planning to sell your home, I would suggest you do so ASAP to get the most money for your home.

If you want to look at what months had the most listings last year, check out this Boston Globe link:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2015/03/20/what-spring-m…

Ellen D'Ambruoso
Waterfront Realty Group, Duxbury, MA
Angela Guo, Agent, Brookline, MA
Wed Mar 4, 2015
If you are trying to catch the spring market you should be listing and have your open houses before easter. Spring market closings are in March-May which means
David Botelho, , Naples, FL
Wed Feb 13, 2008
We are seeing many homes being listed NOW. March to June in the past has been very busy for us listing homes. It does slow down in July. http://housemenus.com/
Web Reference:  http://housemenus.com/
Michael Lefe…, Agent, Westborough, MA
Mon Feb 11, 2008
Kathleen,
When people talk about a "Spring Market" they are usually referring to homes that CLOSE in March, April and May. These homes are typically on the market NOW. In our office, we say the Spring Market for us starts January 2nd. Based on the increased activity we saw company-wide for open houses yesterday, Spring has Sprung! Too bad Mother Nature doesn't agree! : )

Travis Barfi…, Agent, Boston, MA
Wed Apr 8, 2015
Hi Kathleen,

The snow is finally gone!!! With that said the buyers are out and now is a great time to sell. The market should stay strong throughout the summer and into the fall. If you have any questions feel free to contact me anytime via phone/text or e-mail.

Travis
Ellen D'Ambr…, Agent, Duxbury, MA
Tue Mar 24, 2015

Ellen D'Ambruoso
Waterfront Realty Group, Duxbury, MA
Tony Roberts…, Agent, Rochester, MN
Wed Mar 4, 2015
Typically the Spring market starts in March. This year and last year were a different though as the housing market started to pick up early January. If you are contemplating selling your home, I recommend reaching out to a professional in your area ASAP!
Wendy Bornst…, Agent, Needham Heights, MA
Sat Apr 26, 2008
We are currently hitting the spring market. It is a great time to buy!! There are many home options available for the first time buyer.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Mon Apr 7, 2008
Usually you start to see activity at the end of February and last until about June (when schools get out and people head off for vacations) but this year it has been slow starting. I think that is a mix of the market (some people are holding on to there properties) and the weather (I am starting to feel like it has rained more in MA than Seattle this year). The volume gets the buzz going and the weather gets people outside. It will be interesting to see if we have an active summer this year to make up for the lag.
Web Reference:  http://www.territoryre.com
Belinda Arro…, , 02038
Tue Mar 11, 2008
s far as buying is concerned, this year the spring market is not quite as active as in recent years past. However , it all depends on your local market. Real estate is always local. In my professional opinion ,this is still the best time to list because buyers like to get settled before school opens and the fall season. If you have a home to sell, make sure you use an experienced and knowledgable realtor. Its imperative in this market.
Web Reference:  http://www.BelindaArroyo.com
The_Bayou, , Newton, MA
Tue Mar 11, 2008
Belinda, Mike and Dave and Sean,

You said that your Spring markets began in early February. How have they panned out? Did you see a lot of accepted offers as compared to last year's Spring market?
Irena, , Newton, MA
Tue Mar 11, 2008
If you are looking for a good deal than the spring market is not very good for you. It also depends on what you are looking for.
Most overpriced listings from last year will come back on, as well as new ones. Also a lot more people will be looking. Most buyers are trying to move before the school year starts, so that beginning of the school year will slow down the spring market.
Also the real estate market is very local, and given the state of economy and mortgage issues, it would be particularly hard to predict anything since the data available is completely partially unreliable and skewed.
Apparently Boston has bottomed out. Who knows what the next statement will be.
Best of luck
Gerry Bourge…, Agent, Leominster, MA
Tue Feb 12, 2008
In my opinion, I see the 'Spring Market' as being the time of increased activity in the early Spring months. This is mostly due to the weather in New England - but is also influenced by people wanting to be settled by the end of the school-year in order to be prepared for the upcoming school year (assuming a different district/town/etc). Another factor driving the so-called Spring Market is the fact that some sellers and buyers don't want to be bothered during the 'holiday season'. Also, many sellers feel that their house looks a lot prettier when the flowers are in bloom. Buyers, I feel, like to be able to see the roof, foundation, landscaping (...is there any grass under all of this snow?), etc. Thus the increase in activity.

In the 18 years of selling homes in North Central MA, the 'Spring Market' starts anywhere from around President's Day (now) and can last through May. Mostly it is dependent on the weather. However, there are other factors that come into play as well (such as interest rates, overall economy, job markets, gas prices, mortgage market shut-down, etc.).

It may last for 3+ months, or may be just several weeks depending on those factors, and who knows what else?

When asked when the best time to buy or sell is? I always answer "Whenever You Are Ready".
Why? Because In the winter there are less buyers competing for homes. And anyone who is driving through 6" of snow to see a house is most likely a Real Buyer!

Also, the sellers that are out on the market are 'serious' sellers. If they are willing to show their house, while many "take theirs off for the holidays", they are serious sellers.

Here's something that I see many sellers don't realize: They wait until Spring because there will most likely be more buyers - and their house looks SO PRETTY with the flowers...
What they fail to see is that with the increase in the quantity of buyers, there is also an increase in the amount of inventory (competing homes) which also have PRETTY flowers.

In the past 2 Springs, the amount of increase in inventory surpassed the amount of buyers.

Hopefully this Spring will be better than the last two. Given the low Mortgage Rates (for those who can qualify) and the beaten up prices, I see this to be a great time to buy - as long one has at least a 2 year perspective or more. The 'quick $' will be hard to come by for a while, as I see it.
Debra Cence, Agent, Maynard, MA
Mon Feb 11, 2008
I believe the spring market depends on the weather. Sellers like to have their home in and out ready for the buyer. Unless there's a time constraint on the seller, they typically like to wait till they can see their grass and maybe a spring flower bulb, some feel the buyer will appreciate their home more at that time. There's plenty of homes on the market now as a pre-spring rush, but sellers understand their competition towards other homes is only going to heat up when the true spring market hits. Typically if they are thinking about moving when school gets out in June, it's these sellers that most likely will list around the March time frame. As being a buyer in todays market, todays a good day, but you most likely will have more to choose from very shortly.
Mike Calef, , 02127
Mon Feb 11, 2008
I agree with the other agents. NOW NOW NOW. If you are buying or selling in our particular area (south boston/dorchester area) the time to look is now. I showed a buyer 7 properties yesterday that were having open houses, and at every home we were well down the list of people that had seen it. Buyers are out in force in the area right now. Hope that helps.
Web Reference:  http://www.mikecalef.com
Belinda Arro…, , 02038
Mon Feb 11, 2008
Mike answered your question.Houses that are ready for the spring market, are usually listed now. That is normally the time for a lot of buying activity in the real estate market.If you are interested in looking at any homes now , Please visit my website to sign up for free listings of homes on the market. I also have foreclosures.
The_Bayou, , Newton, MA
Mon Feb 11, 2008
I have also heard the Easter - Memorial Day housing market referred to as the spring market. These are people that want to close by mid summer at the latest so that they are settled into a new home by the start of the next school season. With Easter only about a month away, some of these homes should be hitting the market soon, if not already.

FYI, I have heard some optimism about this coming spring market as cities and towns that were out of reach to new home buyers only a couple of years ago, will have several homes available to new home buyers. There may be competition for those houses.
Sean Hayes, Agent, St Louis, MO
Mon Feb 11, 2008
Mike is right on with his assesment of the spring market. We are here! Things start happening as soon as the holidays are over and the weekend after the Super Bowl is full steam ahead. If you are looking to buy or sell, contact your local agent now!
Web Reference:  http://seanhayes.cbp1.com