When black mold is visibly present on walls does owner have to take care of it so it does not pose a problem to others viewing home?

Asked by Stella, Bridgehampton, NY Mon Sep 10, 2012

Answers

5
Jerry Cibuls…, Agent, Southold, NY
Wed Sep 26, 2012
The concerns should be reviewed by a professional mold remediation company for the best advice.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Sep 10, 2012
If you are the seller consider remedying the problem beforehand; most buyers will be alarmed by such an issue....
De Vonte Wil…, Agent, East Point, GA
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Hello Stella. The answer to this is no, however it may end up costing you the sale of your home since most buyers see this as a red flag--"well if there is mold, what else is there?" You should have it remedied. Be sure to have someone that is licensed & certified to do the cleanup and removal. You will still be on the hook, and are left open to liability if you try to do it yourself.

I advise my clients that they should have a home inspection prior to putting their home on the market, and if anything that could hinder the sale of the home is reported; to remedy it. You would be surprised over how something so small could be blown out of proportion and kill a deal, but buyers want what they are paying for--and rightfully so. So, though a home inspection may cost a little, it is a great investment in the long run.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you the best of luck,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Buyers are very turned off by visible mold. It would be in your best interest to take care of it properly. Consider it an investment in selling your home. If you fail to treat it you will get a lot of low ball offers from people looking to flip the property, normal buyers looking for a home will generally flee.
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, GREEN, BPOR
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Mon Sep 10, 2012
Do you have to? NO Have to NO, but it will be a problem once the buyers hop in and see it and
turn around and do not want to have anything to do with the home.

Even if you take care of it with a good reputable mold remediation company and believe me this is
usually not inexpensive, if it truly toxic black mold, as there is mold of other kinds. But it is the bad kind the remediation company will test, and then it is not clear if you are seeing it on one outside wall if it has not already migrated behind the walls and in other places...

So have mold specialist come in, check the mold, and make recommendations, that way you will
better understand what the real problem actually is and how to take care of it.

No matter what, if it is visible it is a problem to a buyer
If you take care of it and have the bills from the company and mention it in the sellers disclosure
it may still worry the buyers, but if they like the house enough and the location and the neighborhood they may still make an offer....

I work with a lot of buyers, and in order to protect them, I usually encourage them to buy a property with no evidence of existing or taken care of toxic black mold....

And then it always depends on how big of a problem is really is, if it is just in a small area, may be
not much of an issue. You will be told by the mold specialist the the house in that area may need
more ventilation ..... So at least get all the right information from the right expert.

Good Luck to you
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site