When a house is listed for sale and there is NO lockbox on the property. Who is allowed to open the house to show?

Asked by T. B., Murrieta, CA Wed Jan 16, 2013

Can the listing agent send a maintanance guy to open the property without being there?
Is the listing agent responsible to do so after the appointment has been approved by the tenant?

Answers

4
Jim Beatty’s answer
Jim Beatty, , Toledo, OH
Sun Jan 20, 2013
I don't believe that a listing agent is allowed to have his maintenance man, or other unlicensed person "show" you the property.

However, there may be some grey area on this. Did he "show" the property and act in the capacity of an agent, or did he simply let you in the house.

If he actively showed you the property and answered a lot of questions, provided the listing price, or otherwise acted "like" an agent, I would think not.

Many real estate classes deal with situations regarding "the spouse helping at the open house", this sounds like a similar situation.
Ashlie Velker, , Toledo, OH
Thu Jan 17, 2013
The listing agent can provide access to contractors. Even with a lock box they are often given one day codes to perform work, which gives them access to the key. I personally would ask my client if they were okay with that before authorizing someone to enter without being present. The listing agent is not necessarily responsible to let anyone in aside from showings on the property. The owner is responsible, but they may have an agreement that refers to property management.
Cindy Keil, Agent, Papillion, NE
Wed Jan 16, 2013
Whether the home is vacant, or occupied, I suggest contacting the listing agent to schedule a tour
Carol Venia-…, Agent, Sylvania, OH
Thu Dec 4, 2014
In Ohio, only Agents that have been approved by the listing Agent can get into the house. If there is not lock box then a key would have to be obtained. Do not let anyone in unless you have received confirmation from the listing agent.