What time of year is the best time to begin listing one's home for sale?

Asked by Joseph Angelo, Peekskill, NY Wed Jun 6, 2012

Answers

8
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Thu Jun 7, 2012
I disagree with the "anytime" answers. I've seen houses go on the market at the end of the typical selling season up north and then just sit through the winter. Then, when the buyers come back in spring they aren't interested in the property because it's been on the market too long and they suspect there's something wrong with it. The only thing "wrong" was that it came on the market at the wrong time. Use a local agent and get good local advice.
Patricia "Ti…, Agent, Yorktown Heights, NY
Thu Jun 7, 2012
Joseph,

Now is the best time to list your home. The interest rates are still so low that the buyers have more buying power, when rates are low.

If you are looking as a seasonal time of year, the more active time to list your home in the north east is when the weather is nice. That was the standards in the past. I am finding that does not hold as true.

Rates are regulating the market more than in the past when it was known as a spring market.

I hope this is helpful.
Tish
Michael Levy, Agent, Armonk, NY
Thu Jun 7, 2012
Hi Joseph: Usually the time you list is when you need to sell. It's all about your life's journey. Most people list in the spring so that they can sell in time for school to start for their buyer, because many buyers go into a new house to get their kids into the school district. Not sure if this is the case with your house. It also depends on what kind of house you have & in what condition it is. You may be able to better sell your house when you have less competition, like in the dead of winter. I'll be happy to help you analyze your options. There are ways to measure average prices per square foot by season for the last few years. Call me if you want to talk about it: 914-273-9688. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. http://www.GrandLuxRealty.com.
Valerie Leis, Agent, Croton on Hudson, NY
Wed Jun 6, 2012
Whenever YOU are most ready to sel is probably the best answer. In the sping/summer there may be more buyers, but there will also be more competition from other sellers as well. Other factors could enter into the decision that are specific to your property, that could be determined by a look at your property's location within the context of your goals and needs. Feel free to call me at 914-271-5115 for a chat.
Barbara Hall…, Agent, Irvington, NY
Wed Jun 6, 2012
Anytime, there are buyers its a good time. And thats all year long. There is always going to be someone who needs to move and someone who needs to buy. However, it is true that the most people are shopping in the spring-the beginning of March typically. But this year because the weather was so mild, or the interest rates were so low or who knows what, buyers were out in full force during the Christmas vacation and it hasn't stopped yet. Keep in mind that the spring is also when you'll have the most competion because it is also the time of year when there are the most sellers. So get your house ready, and put it on then.
Arthur Panag…, Agent, Lagrangeville, NY
Wed Jun 6, 2012
Hi! The best time is Spring time!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Jun 6, 2012
Keep in mind that buyers do exist year round, therefore list the property when you are ready, and need to sell....
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Wed Jun 6, 2012
Hi, the spring time is always the busiest in real estate but if you have a great home, in great condition and location it will sell anytime of year.

Sincerely
Christopher Pagli
914 406 9023