What should I improve to sell my house quickly such as granite tile in the basement, replace new windows,?

Asked by Andrea, Oakland, CA Tue Jul 29, 2008

brick paver for 1500 sqft backyard on the lake, fancy furniture, finish inside boat house, etc?

Answers

2
., , Oakland County, MI
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Andrea,

Generally it is advisable to complete any deferred maintenance such as broken tiles, pavers, windows, roof repairs etc. Make sure mechanicals, plumbing equipment and appliances are in good working order. Painted walls should be clean or freshly painted and woodwork may need to be touched up or repainted. Carpet should be clean, repaired or replaced as needed. Landscaping should be trimmed, weeded and can be spruced up with a few seasonal flowers/plants in ground or potted.

It is not necessary to make major investments. Curb appeal is very important as is the general condition of the home. It should be very clean and neat without much clutter. You may want to consider having a professional stager or asking your realtor to give you some tips on presentation.

As you will not recover the entire cost of your investments it is best to take care of the existing details and then price your home according to recent comparables in your area taking into account the differences in special features and updates.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Andrea
I suggest that you speak with a few local Realtors in your area and find out what buyers in your area are looking for. The worst thing a seller can do is work on something that will not help them, and not on something that NEEDS attention.

I have a client who was told by a Realtor to upgrade a bathroom, to the tune of $6,000. However, upon inspection, he should have spent that money on a new roof.

So get a couple of perspectives, also, ask them for other ideas about staging, cleaning, etc. Home buyers want Value. The do not care how much you paid, how much you owe, how much you need to net.

You have a very challenging market and only the homes with the most value and marketing, priced right, will sell.