What should I improve to sell my house quickly? Granite tile in the basement, replace all windows, brick

Asked by Andrea, Oakland, CA Tue Jul 29, 2008

paver for 1500 sqft of backyard on the lake, fancy furniture, or finish inside of my boat house, or etc

Answers

5
Gerald Rober…, , Macclenny, FL
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Hello Andrea, Gerald Roberts here.. Professional, I have studied this in a couple of realestate investment courses and what i discovered is the following: First and foremost is curb appeal and this is very important for several reasons mainly it determines whether a potential homeowner will want to see the inside or not, grass, shrubs, edging, flowers should be trimmed and neat, exterior structures repair or replace if needed, pressure washed, paints, contrastings strips, roofing, etc, etc you get the idea, Inside the home remember FRESH AND BRIGHT The two most important rooms inside the home are kitchen and master bedrooms, new home owners will be paying close attention to these two rooms and again fresh bright and clean repair or replace tile, carpets, vinyl, paints, plumbing, lighting, fixtures, if needed.. You should be able to get five times your money back invested at closing.. This is information i have learned through my studies.. Hope this is helpful.. Regards
Leah Baxter, Agent, Frisco, CO
Tue Jul 29, 2008
The first two things that people look at in a house are the kitchens and bathrooms. Without seeing your house, it is hard to say. Is your kitchen updated? If the windows are in bad shape, I would definitely replace them. If there is brick falling off of your house, also fix that. A new coat of paint, and clean or new carpet also helps sell the house quicker. Good luck. Leah Baxter, Summit County, Colorado.
Web Reference:  http://leahbaxter.com
Shirley Coro…, Agent, Clarkston, MI
Tue Jul 29, 2008
Hi Andrea,

Very tough question to answer without having benefit of knowing what the house currently looks like. For example, the question about replacing all the windows...this may be warranted if the windows are obviously in questionable condition. However, to spend the money to replace windows unnecessarily would likely not be an amount recovered in the sale. The most important thing in the minds of the buyers in this market is price. After they like the price, they then look for updates. Obviously, they are looking for the best updates for the best price. If your price is right, it is possible that a good staging is all that would be necessary.

Although it is very common in today's market for homes to be on the market for months and months with little activity, it is also common aggressive pricing will lure buyers out of the woodwork with multiple offers as the result.

Having said all this, your best recourse is to invite a realtor to view your home and offer advice before investing a great deal of money that may not be recovered. It may be as simple as a lower price point.

Best of luck to you.

Shirley
Team Green /…, , Traverse City, MI
Tue Jul 29, 2008
As an EcoBroker I would suggest you start with the basics. An energy efficient home is a desired feature in todays market. Hiring a Home Energy Auditor to perform a Home Energy Rating System survey on your home will let you know what can be done to the home to make it efficient and comfortable. This usually runs around $350 and can be used in 2 ways. The first it can help you make improvements that matter, and second it can help prospective buyers qualify for an energy improvement mortgage, allowing them to afford more home based on the energy savings. If you feel the look of the home needs upgrading I would look to a green home designer or decorator. Green and sustainable products are very affordable and 80% of todays buyers look for green and energy efficient features when considering buying a home.
Web Reference:  http://www.greenhomestc.com
Gordon Johns…, Agent, Plymouth, MI
Tue Jul 29, 2008
You ask a very good question. The answer isn't an easy one, there are many things that you can do to stage a home so that it shows well to potenial buyers when they come see the home. The trick is to get potential buyers interested enough to actually come look at it. To market the home taking good photos and the most important issue is pricing it correctly to show buyers that the home is truly a good value. As far as specific improvements you will need the help of a Realtor to determine what would be best, many improvement project havea very low or no payback when you sell.

If you want a professional opinion on your home feel free to give me a call or e-mail and I will be happy to help out.

Gordon Johnson
Gordon@MInextHome.com
(734) 658-3662
Web Reference:  http://www.MInextHome.com