What's more important in choosing an agent to sell a unique Hollywood home?

Asked by PoliEcon, 90068 Thu Oct 11, 2012

Is it most important to find an agent with lots of successful closings across the city similar in price to mine? Or in the case of a unique, revitalized and historic home is it better to find someone who knows and can sell the neighborhood and the history?

Answers

9
Rene' De Blanco, MBA’s answer
Rene' De Bla…, , San Diego, CA
Mon Aug 12, 2013
As a home owner of a historic home in Hollywood, you will want an agent who sees the value of your home. The neighborhood is not as important since it is constantly changing. Most realtors know the overall trends in a specific neighborhood. Hope this helps.
John McQuilk…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Wed Feb 11, 2015
It's important to find an agent who knows the area and that you are compatible with.
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Thu Oct 11, 2012
Oh my I could probably write a book about your questions...

I will try to make it short
a) You need an agent with whom you have great communication and who understands your needs
b) because your home is special and unique you need a Realtor who can think outside the box
and has the time to promote your home as uniquely as it is itself
c) You want an agent who has time and will personally interact with you and market your property
him or herself.

d) And yes your Realtor needs to have some expertise in your area, what sells and what does not
etc....

e) and if in your case this Realtor has some knowledge and or architectural expertise that would
certainly come in handy when showing your home BUT having said that, if you can find a
Realtor who is ready and willing to do the research and put in the extra time to describe your
home for the unique diamond it is, then may be that is the right person for you....

I always say after you talk with a Realtor for a while and exchange some ideas you know who is
the right one for you, most of the times..... (you know just like falling in love with the future hubby or wife..... same goes for Realtors, there is no direct this that or something else, that will make one
Realtor better than another until you have a conversation and exchanges about your home and the
marketing AND ONLY THEN WILL YOU KNOW)

If for any reason you would like some recommendations of some area Realtors, feel free to get
back to me and I gladly send some recommendations your way.
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Mack MacReady, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Nov 11, 2013
In my experience, an agent who understands historic homes will bring more expertise and it will help speed the sales process and maximize sales price. I’m not just talking about, who previously lived in the property, but also, what advantages and disadvantages are inherent in homes constructed in earlier periods.
As one example: I represented the sellers of a large property built in 1926 that still had zoned, gravity heating for the first floor. Many buyers would view this to be a disadvantage. We have become conditioned to view forced air heating systems as the only approach. My team and I highlighted how gentle this form of heating was and how cost effective having a zoned system can be. This is only one small consideration, but each detail builds upon itself when marketing a home.
We did find a buyer who was thrilled to have a well maintained, historically accurate property.
Mike Dronge, Agent, West Hollywood, CA
Fri Oct 25, 2013
To have experience in selling similar homes in and around that area.
George Kasab…, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Thu Oct 11, 2012
neighborhood exposure is a must!
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Thu Oct 11, 2012
Dear PoliEcon,

Very Interesting Question, thanks for that.
There are Realtors, and also entire brokerages, who specialize in historic properties. I would think that such a Brokerage would be highly trained and also might have the following to sell that type of home. If you are thinking of appealing to a Connoisseur of your style of home. If you home is very unique it might only appeal to this demographic.
On the other hand, if it's the neighborhood and many homes are similar style then a local Realtor should be able to sell your home successfully.
Ken Dorfman, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Oct 11, 2012
The agent who brings the buyer will, probably know the area, the housing stock and/or the type of house. The agent who lists the house should be knowledgeable in advertising, marketing, presentation, structure and title issues. In a good many cases, an independent broker or an agent in a small firm will be able to better devote time and resources to a unique project than a large agency with millions listed, just something to think about.

Ken Dorfman, Broker
Kenneth B Dorfman Real Estate
Phone, 888 846 0688
E Mail Ken@TheRealEstateOffice.Biz
DRE # 675912
Alex Nesic, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Oct 11, 2012
Hi, I believe the most important is personal knowledge of the neighborhood followed closely by how you relate personally to the agent -- after all, you will have to be in close communication throughout the listing process, open houses, showings and escrow and it is really important to have confidence as well as comfort with your agent. I also feel that it is beneficial to work with an agent who does not have too many listings at once so that you get a lot of personal attention and are not dealing with assistants.

I work out of the Beverly Hills North office of Coldwell Banker because I feel it gives me greatest access to all of LA but I have owned my home in Beachwood Canyon for 7 years and have lived in the Hollywood Hills for 14 years and am intimately familiar with the neighborhood and its history.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to meet in person.

Alex Nesic
Coldwell Banker | Beverly Hills North
Cell: (323) 570-1441
Office: (310) 777-6393
DRE Lic # 01884185
http://www.nesicproperties.com