What is the time limit in which to get a home inspection in NJ?

Asked by Claire, 08840 Wed Dec 30, 2009

Our buyers had one inspection a day after we signed the contract. Now it is two weeks later and they want another one. The initial inspection showed virtually nothing was wrong with the home.
Do I have to allow a second one? Perhaps a third? When does it end?

Answers

14
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Wed Dec 30, 2009
Claire

I'll just agree with what every one else said cause it would take to long to rewrite it all so you'd think I was saying something new....

or I could just say... Depends on what the contract says

Dunes
4 more points towards my Level3 VIP Badge for posting a lot
Our moto "Quality Smallity hand me that keyboard"
Randi Tirado…, Agent, North Brunswick, NJ
Thu Dec 31, 2009
Hi Claire -

We actually had a similar situation like this in our office a couple months ago (I wonder if its the same buyer...). Its almost as if the buyer didn't believe the inspector from the first inspection, because it turned out well. Either way, I believe it played out that a second inspection was not permitted, because the contract didn't specifically allow for it. I honestly don't remember what the outcome was, but I'll see if I can find out.

Cooper

Cooper Ford
Gloria Zastko Realtors
cooper@zastko.com
Web Reference:  http://www.jerseycoop.com
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Thu Dec 31, 2009
Hi Claire,

I would not worry about it too much and you will find out what the method behind the madness is at some point. The buyers could be.. well, nervous if they are first time home buyers. They may have received a referral and thought the guy did not do a good job..

Then, they could also be with one of these people that call themselves "buyers agents" that guarantee to take off 10-20k of the list price, false advertising .. a hook to get people to buy a house through them.
I had buyers agent come in and found out the inspector charged them $900.00 to do the inspection.. it was the agents (small agency) uncle that was doing the inspection and they tried to shake the seller down for 8k. Did not work, we told them to take a walk. They came back tail between their legs and bought the house.
Some agents fill buyers brains that everyone is out to get them.. and they can see the light. It is nonsense.

Be leery of the inspection, but, if you want to sell the house ask your attorney to ask why since the buyers want another inspection since they had one.. you should get an explantion. Go from there.

Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Wed Dec 30, 2009
Cheaters at Trulia, surely you jest...

Besides creating an account is worth 100 points, that takes 10 minutes to earn posting Call me answers

Multiple profiles = multiple ribbons and certificates.. win win
Gina Chirico, Agent, Fairfield, NJ
Wed Dec 30, 2009
Claire,

As others stated, there should be a specific time period for inspections to take place either in the original contract or during the changes made by the attorneys during attorney review. Is it a specific inspection like an oil tank sweep, or an additional inspection by an expert of a specific field, like chimey repair, or just an additional general home inspection? If nothing was found the first time around, why the need or expense for an additional one, I cannot answer.

Start by checking your contract and changes/addendums made by the attorneys for timeframe deadlines. I would also ask your agent and/or attorney if they know the need for an additional inspection. Sometimes buyers, especially first-time buyers, are quite nervous and unsure about the whole buying process and maybe they just want a second inspection to ease their minds.

Good luck with the sale of your home and I would definitely check with your agent to see if she knows the reason for another inspection.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential NJ Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116 office
Gina.Chirico@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Dec 30, 2009
Hi Claire, the contract will have specified a timeframe for completion of inspection and receipt of written requests. Our standard contract states 10 calendar days from date of contract but this may have been adjusted during your attorney review period, so do check. Also, remember the clock begins after attorney review is complete and you are under contract. There are instances where additional inspections are requested - perhaps as follow up to the first, or to evaluate a system not included in the first. But that initial written request for repairs needs to be received by your attorney by the specified timeframe....it sometimes builds from there, but there are surely guidelines in the verbiage of your contract.

Check with your agent and attorney - they should be able to provide guidance and assurance. Buyers are extra diligent these days in checking over homes. Good luck working your way through this contingency.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Find success at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Fri Jan 1, 2010
Hi Claire, Happy New Year!

Yes, buyers can be difficult! I do try to bring my buyers to earth with realistic values in buying a home. Let's face it, this is not rocket science and the issues with the house wil present themselves to everyone. You sound as if you are a diligent home seller and you have done what was necessary to realistically sell your home.

I tip my hat to you and I hope the rest of the process goes smooth and everyone is happy.

People forget that this is a home being sold and somebody's new home..This is a big step for both the buyer and the sellers. Everyone should be happy and move on to the next step of their lives!

Good luck to you and again Happy New Years!
Claire, Home Buyer, 08840
Fri Jan 1, 2010
Hi John and Cooper,

Thanks for your input.
I have refused to allow a second inspection and they seem to be fine with it. I am not at all certain as to what their agenda was but they are not entitled to the second inspection. We were very proactive and had our own inspection done prior to selling the house. Anything we knew about had already been fixed so it was no surprise to us when their inspector found only a few minor things.
In this market buyers are so difficult and demanding. Our ultimate goal is to sell our home as smoothly and honestly as possible. We want everyone to be happy! That way we all win.
I loved your answers because they were different. Neither of you told us to cow down and allow ourselves to be pushed around. Just because it's a buyers market it does not mean that sellers should get walked all over. I am amazed at the lack of respect most buyers have. Not everyone is out to get over on them!
We're good people selling a wonderful home for a price that we feel is far to low. The buyers got an outstanding value. Perhaps buyers should be more appreciative and considerate.
Selling in this tough market has taught me a great deal of valuable lessons and I certainly plan to be a much more reasonable buyer!
Much thanks to you! Happy New Year!
Claire
Claire, Home Buyer, 08840
Thu Dec 31, 2009

Thank you for your quick answers. I will check the contract but I am certain that their time frame to request a second inspection has expired.
I too wondered why they needed a second inspection when the first one was performed by a company of their choice. They were with the inspector and seemed very pleased with him. I asked them why they needed a second one if virtually nothing was wrong with the first one. They said they just wanted to be certain that everything was fine. That just did not seem logical to me.
They did not ask to bring an HVAC or specific inspector. They actually hired another company that does general home inspections exactly like the company that they had used previously. The first inspectors report makes no reference to needing an additional inspector.
Frankly I feel as though they are trying to find something to get a reduced price. Mention of this was made during the contract negotiations.
I have no problem accomodating a request that is reasonable. I want them to feel comfortable but there is no need for a second inspection.
Either way I have no intention of permitting it at this time.
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sun Jan 3, 2010
Hi Claire, as follow up to my earlier response - thank you for returning to the post to update us, very gratifying to hear your updates. Some buyers are leveraging the buyer's market to continue to ask, and ask, and ask for more in repairs, credits, etc. If you have negotiated a fair transaction - and it sounds like you have - and are offering a well-maintained home - then it is very possible that the buyer is testing you and will continue to ask until you say, "no more". This is precisely what happened with my most recent transaction, and though the seller was anxious to comply so as not to rock the boat, we finally convinced him to say "enough". Once said, the buyer was satisfied that they had gotten all they could.

You have communicated a very good outlook from your experience - to carry forward in your conduct as a buyer what you have learned as a seller. That's the way I like to operate as well - good outlook, and best of luck to you for a successful close.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Find success at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Audeliz Angie…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Fri Jan 1, 2010
Claire,

Happy New Year To You! Congrats on getting an offer on your home.

The simple answer to your question is it ends when the buyers are completely satisfied with their findings.

Now, normally, a standard NJ real estate contract allows up to 10 calendar days from the date of the contract for all inspections; it generally stipulates a time set forth by both parties to report findings to the seller and a time period for the seller to react to any home inspection repair requests or credits. During attorney review, the time periods are either extended or clearly defined.

All inspections are at the buyer's expenses but for the purposes of your contract, be mindful of when home inspection begins and ends. It's somewhat like discovery in legal terms where if you do not provide the evidence to the other side within the time period given, it’s inadmissible.

The buyer, in theory, could have the property inspected right before closing. In fact, a less formal inspection takes place 1-3 days prior to or on the day of closing called the walk thru.

I once had to take a buyer back to the home they were buying 6 times with contractors, inspectors and this
obviously made the seller nervous, but in the end the same level of nervousness was being felt by the buyer. In the end, the deal closed on good terms and both parties were happy.

Have confidence in your upkeep of the home and be mindful of the start and end dates of your transactions milestones.

Wishing you the best in your home sale!
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Wed Dec 30, 2009
Actually,

I'd rather have the level 1 ribbon. I may throttle back on responding to keep it LOL. The casual Trulia reader will think that the Level 1 ribbon is better than the level 3 ribbon. Think about it...

It should be reversed: You should attain the level 3 ribbon 1st and move up to the level 1 ribbon.

Of course, as we all know, there are several agents on this board who keep multiple accounts so that they can give themselves a thumbs up to artificially boost their scores. You can always tell who these phony, fake, fraudulent, 2-bit hustlers are - their posts appear with a thumbs up within a few minutes of posting. Can't be bothered to earn it, so just cheat, right? Good example for the kids.... NOT!

I'm just sayin!

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Member: Worldwide ERC
Member: New Jersey MLS, Garden State MLS, Hudson County MLS
Licensed Realtor NJ
Licensed Appraiser NJ & NY
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Agent of the Year 2008
Agent of the Year 2009
Owner: Sands Appraisal Service, Inc.
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Search the Garden State MLS: http://www.marcpaolella.com/SearchMLS

-Marc
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Wed Dec 30, 2009
Hi Claire,

Read your contract. It stipulates the deadlines for the home inspection issues to be presented. If that deadline passes without the buyers presenting any home inspection issues, additional home inspections are superfluous.

Having said that, if they want to do another one, let them. They are buying the house and they are the ones who ultimately have to be satisfied.

Getting in their way at this point can only poison the deal. In this market, the buyers are more in control than the sellers. The sellers typically just have to be patient and hope for the best. There are few buyers and lots of homes to buy.

So keep it pleasant, give them easy access, and hope things work out. You have a much better chance to close if you avoid power plays. They have the money, they are on the strong side of the supply-demand equation, they set the agenda.

In 2006 you could have thrown them under the bus and found another buyer in 2 weeks. But this is 2009. At least until Friday...

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Member: Worldwide ERC
Licensed Realtor NJ
Licensed Appraiser NJ & NY
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Agent of the Year 2008
Agent of the Year 2009
Owner: Sands Appraisal Service, Inc.
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Lori Jeltema, Agent, Suffolk, VA
Wed Dec 30, 2009
Depends on what your contract says. When I'm on the buyer's side, I will encourage my buyer to have whatever type of inspection they want if it's within the allowable time. They may have a standard home inspection but the inspector may not be licensed in HVAC, for instance, and recommend that the buyer have that separately inspected. Most inspectors will put 'recommend inspection/certification by licensed XXX' on items that they review but are not licensed to service. My opinion? I'd let them check out whatever they want and are allowed to check out during their inspection time. They likely have a right to do so and better to let THEM order and pay for the follow up inspections than to ask you to do it! Many buyers here will ask the seller to perform some follow ups and give proof at settlement on HVAC, electric, plumbing, etc., Better to let them explore and feel secure than to freak out later on over something they think they missed..just my opinion.