What is the procedure to sell a house without a broker?

Asked by N, 91343 Mon Jul 27, 2009

When my mother died earlier this year, a neighbor's relative expressed interest in buying the house. The house is owned free and clear, and we want to sell it "as is."

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Richelle Briasco’s answer
Richelle Bri…, , Simi Valley, CA
Wed Aug 26, 2009
Selling a house is is a very large and demanding transaction. It is in your best interest to hire a Realtor or an Attorney. Contract law is very specific. If there is a problem, the judge usually sides with the buyer. That would not be you. If there was a problem with the property, the buyer could file suit against you for numerous reasons. A Realtor or an Attorney would draft a contract with language to protect you. Even if you sell the property "AS-IS" there are other considerations such as fair market value. Do you have an accurate assesment of how much the property is worth? Will the neighbor be stealing the house? If you are trying to save money on the comission, it could cost you even more in the end. You might want to negotiate with a Realtor so that you are protected, and they get paid for a valuable service. It would be win-win for both of you. Please feel free to call or email with any questions. Have a wonderful day.
Richelle Briasco
RE/MAX Estates
0 votes
Thanks for your "unbiased" opinion, real estate broker.
Flag Fri Apr 4, 2014
Merlin Barri…, Agent, Valencia, CA
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Dear Miss Naomi,

Is the neighbor's relative serious, about buying the home? Is he/she approved? Do you have a price in mind? Did you check how much are the homes selling, what has sold, in that area?

You'll need to write the offer & dont forget all the disclosures & paperwork involved, reports etc.. and that can be a huge headache if you are not carefull.

Again call me with any questions, so we can discuss, if the home is Free & clear, then there's room for everything else!

Good Luck!

Merlin Barrientos
Realtor Associate
Keller Williams Realty VIP
direct 661 713-8780
email merlin1@inbox.com or merlin1@kw.com
0 votes
Matt McClain, , Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Hi Naomi.

You can, of course, conduct real estate transactions without using a broker. You can look up your options However, if there is already an interest in the property to purchase it you may want to use a broker/agent for a smooth and worry free transaction.

There are many things that can go wrong in the state of California if certain documents and protocol are not followed and the potential legal issues down the road are not worth the dollars spent on a realtor.

I have handled situations like yours where two parties are in agreement, there is no advertising necessary of the property, and want the transaction to go smoothly and without issue. My broker and I are willing to do this transaction for a substantially discounted fee.

If you are interested or have any other questions, please feel free to email or call me.

Have a great evening!


Matt McClain
Axiom Real Estate
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more