Curious, Home Seller in 92130

What is the fee usually charged for HOA docs. Did CAR recently have an article about this

Asked by Curious, 92130 Wed Sep 21, 2011

Answers

18
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Curious: Yes, CAR did a Press Release.

"New CA Law Halts Excessive HOA-related Document Fees (AB 771)"
http://www.trulia.com/blog/steve_ornellas_mba_re_mastersgri/…

Best, Steve
Sinead McAll…, Agent, Oceanside, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Hi Curious,
It defnitely varies. Some are free, some are $50 and some are up to $400. Some homes have more than one HOA too!

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister
858-205-5215
Frank Dolski, Agent, Lahaska, PA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
It depends on the community and HOA. I typically see about $150 for most of the communities that I work in. You can contact the management company for the HOA directly.
Jason Richar…, Agent, Encinitas, CA
Wed Sep 21, 2011
yup, its a racket for the HOA's
Web Reference:  http://www.noviproperty.com
Jim Fishinger, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Wed Sep 21, 2011
I did not see the CAR article. The fees vary from one association to another. They can be as little as $100 to over $400.00 the last I noticed. There have been challenges in the past about the amount being inappropriate based on what is actually provided, but most people just bite the bullet and pay. You need to check with the management company for the association to check specific fee for the association in question.
Jim Fishinger
Broker Associate
Excel Properties
DRE 00882123
http://www.jimfishinger.com
Allen, Home Buyer, San Diego, CA
Tue Sep 13, 2016
Hi Everyone, thanks for the answers as they were very helpful. I was asked for $700 today and was shocked! Fighting them now to see why it's so high. Selling condo in 92128.
Garrigus Real…, Agent, Redlands, CA
Thu Aug 14, 2014
It completely depends on the HOA, the fees are not regulated they are charged and determined by the individual HOA's. Please contact us directly for more information.
Craig Sanger, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 14, 2014
Conservatively, I'd estimate $400 in HOA doc fees.
Mary Lou Joh…, Agent, Arroyo Grande, CA
Wed Apr 9, 2014
Yes. Fees must reflect actual costs of producing and delivering the documents. Electronic files can be sent without a fee.
critterkeepe…, Home Buyer, Greer, SC
Fri Jun 15, 2012
I just received a request to pay $599 for the HOA transfer fees. Packard Mgmt uses "Condocert" to fill out the forms and handle the transfer and it must be paid up front by a credit card, mine, the seller. This is so very wrong.
That is a lot, but guess what I had to pay up front? Ready for this? $1344!!!!!! You read that correctly. One thousand, three hundred and forty four dollars. Absolute nonsense. It's downright criminal, and I'm looking into legal action.
Flag Tue Jan 27, 2015
In our area, it is the escrow company that orders the condo cert but the payment can be made by buyer, seller, or a third party. It depends on the purchase contract.
Flag Fri Jun 15, 2012
Greg Von Her…, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Mon Sep 26, 2011
The fees are outrageous sometimes...I've seen $500. Just crazy. I'm glad CAR is taking this up as an issue.
Danny Davis, Agent, Encinitas, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Also Curious,
If you are thinking of selling you home in Carmel Valley, let me know what HOA you are in and I will contact them to find out exactly what your fees will be. I can include those fees in a sellers net sheet along with other fees associated with selling your home to give you an idea of what you would net.

Danny Davis
Broker Associate
858-829-8888
Danny@dannydavishomes.com
Danny Davis, Agent, Encinitas, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Hi Curious,
In most of the transactions in San Diego, the seller normally pays HOA transfer fees and HOA document preparation fees. These fees can vary based on your HOA and are not set in stone. If you need help determining whether you are paying too much feel free to give me a call.

Danny Davis
Broker Associate
858-829-8888
CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Curious -

In fact Governor Brown just signed into law (AB 771) requiring HOAs to prevent buyers being charged "excess document fees". However, the loop hole is determining what is excess and what fees are allowed to be charged?

For example, many lenders require a master insurance certification and a lender's questionnaire to be completed by HOA management group that addresses owner occupancy, delinquencies and other pertinent information. Yet, because these questionnaires are not standardized and the lender wants it on their form, HOA see a right to charge above and beyond the normal document prep fees.

If you review the CAR seller's request form, the two items above are not listed, so are these considered reasonable? I always advise my selling clients to request as much as the form lists. I advise my buyers to expect to be charged about $125 for master insurance certification and $75 for lender questionnaire.

As a buyer/seller you can detail these paying responsibilities on the purchase agreement but it is not always clear what the HOA is going to charge unless you have very recently dealt with this specific HOA. I have written contracts that state seller will pay for all required HOA doc fees including master insurance certification and questionnaire but many times the buyer ends up paying for the last two items. This is especially an issue in short sales.

Unfortunately, there is no "usual". However, as a seller you can contact your HOA and ask how much they charge for transfer fees and document preparation.

CJ
Web Reference:  http://www.TalkToCJ.com
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
As you can see the cost varies, as does the size of each complex. There are complexes with 300 plus units, and complexes with four, so it really depends on the HOA. I also didn't see the article about this, but it wouldn't change the amount of an HOA's document fee! If you're in escrow, and you're thinking the HOA fees are high, or you've been quoted a high price from your agent, just call your HOA to verify. And, yes, sometimes we think some of them charge too much too!
Raymond Esco…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Usually $250-350 individually decided by the HOA. There is express charge involoved by extra couple hundred dollars. I believe it's not the issue CAR concerned at this moment.
Vadim Agamir…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Sep 21, 2011
Hi

The normal fee is anywhere from $250-$300 for the HOA docs. Additional fees may apply for rush service or other services provided by HOA.

Team of Excellence
Vadim Agamirzoyan
(877)247-MySD
Web Reference:  http://Www.SDhomes4sale.com
Carmela K. K…, Agent, La Mesa, CA
Wed Sep 21, 2011
each have it's own fee chart. ususally $200.00-$400.00
have not seen any article from CAR about it.
Carmela Kramer
Realty Executives
858-361-8536