What is the current commission for commercial real estate sales?

Asked by Harry, Suffolk County, NY Thu Feb 5, 2009

Property is in western Suffolk county. 6,000 sq feet. listing at 1.6M

I realize this a residential service, now that I am posting.

Answers

11
Dp2, , Virginia
Thu Feb 5, 2009
As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think commercial properties get listed in the MLS. Nevertheless, commissions are negotiable.
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Thu Feb 5, 2009
There are a lot of commercial brokers, such as I am, who are involved in these services. The question, however, is one that no Realtor or Real Estate Agent in their right minds would consider answering.

Commissions are individual; each charging that which they believe they are worth. Anti-trust laws prohibit any kind of standardization of commission.

If you would like to give me a call or email me personally, I would be happy to discuss commission structures AFTER you decide you want to hire me for my abilities, experience and know-how.
Web Reference:  HTTP://GailGladstone.com
Wow! Seriously??? You seem quite upset that a silly client would dare ask how much you charge. Imagine going to an investment advisor who wouldn't tell you how much they charged until after you sgined over your account. Hah!
Flag Sat Feb 1, 2014
Angeliadiep, Home Buyer, Portland, OR
Sun Nov 10, 2013
what is the commercial selling ?
Hector Gavil…, Agent, Commack, NY
Mon Jul 16, 2012
Communications between brokers regarding what commissions they charge is considered collussion and a violation of antitrust laws. Any agent who posted their commissions here could potentially lose their real estate licenses. In other words, Agents are not allowed by law to get together to discuss what each of them charges clients. it is illegal for agents to get together and agree what is customary to charge sellers and buyers for their services.
Irene Renna, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Fri Feb 20, 2009
Hello Harry,
When hiring someone to do a job for you, do you automatically go with the cheapest? When hiring an agent to represent your property the basic principles of you get what you pay for are in play. You want to interview agents as well as the company they represent. Some agencies have more advertising budgets and thereby have an advantage in the market place. The commission is the cost of doing business. Good luck with your sale.
James Joseph, , 06281
Mon Feb 9, 2009
Hi Harry,

How many people actually answered this question?

And they wonder why agents are so distrusted!!

Hope my answer helped.

James
Carol Bromm, , Babylon, NY
Thu Feb 5, 2009
If you need assistance please feel free to contact me. I'm at Prudential Douglas Elliman. We are all over Long Island, but I'm located in Babylon. You can put Commercial Listings on our MLS. We not only handle residential, but we also have a commercial department.

CAROL BROMM, SRES, CBR
Prudential Douglas Elliman
631 422-8269
James Joseph, , 06281
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Hi Harry,

5% is a good commission on an average sale.
If the commercial property is MM then the rate should be negotiated lower.

All the Best,
James Joseph
Terrence Cha…, Home Owner, Allentown, PA
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Commercial, rental, residential, multi family, vacant land. If it's real property, it can be put on the MLS. Sometimes with commercial or some multifamily properties, the owners do not wish the property to be "publically" know that it's for sale. I.e. no MLS, no sign, etc.

Usually, in these as well as all cases, the agent needs to use additional marketing techniques to try to get buyers via special magazines, networking with other real estate agents across the country, using specialized web sites which deal with investors.

There are numerous methods which some real estate agents can use to sell specialty properties, whether it be commercial or muti million dollar homes.

The expertise is out there.

Terrence Charest, e-Pro
Thu Feb 5, 2009
See that, attention to detail...... Matters not, you still need an agent who can market it with all the services available.
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Harry,

Commissions are totally negotiable and you should shop around not for the lowest price, but who will market your home in it's best light and give you the best advice as to how to prepaper your home.

You will need someone who will not only just take pictures of your home and put it in the MLS, but one who can get videos done for your home, have a seperate site dedicated to showing your home and have a floor plan page available for a buyer's use to plan where furnitur will go.

A home like yours needs special marketing and you need an agent who can do this. Just remember, cutting commissions will also cut what the agent will do for you.

Terrence Charest, e-Pro