Anna Colletti, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL

What is the best way to get a seller off the fence?

Asked by Anna Colletti, Chicago, IL Fri Jun 21, 2013

Answers

4
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Jun 21, 2013
If you are representing the buyer, then the best way Is to show them how accepting your client's offer solves their problem. If you are representing the seller, I think the best thing to do is to bring them a glass of iced water every now and then . . .
Abbas Broach…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jun 23, 2013
I usually tell both my sellers & buyers to think of it as a glass half full rather than half empty.

For my sellers, I point out that the market has come a long way from the low’s of the post 2007 crash. Although the market is not at the pricing of the pre 2007 peak in any way, fashion or form and may not be for a long time to come but the fact of the matter is that the market has improved. The wait time for a good home is much shorter than the 9 to 12 months of listing time that we have experienced in most areas in the recent past. So if the seller has been waiting it out for a few years for the market to improve…than the time has come to list and be able to get a decent offer in a reasonable amount of time.

For my buyers I caution them that now is probably the tail end of the time for getting a decent bargain on a home. The era of rock bottom pricing on homes is fast fading and will probably be gone soon.
Jackie Beard…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
I'm not sure you can do anything but to educate them on the market. If you show them in black and white how the market compares to years past and why we are still uncertain of the years ahead they may realize this is the time to sell. While we do NOT know the future we know present tense and how things today have picked up for sellers since last year and the year before. Knowledge is power, know your stats, good luck!
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Anna,
It's hard and may not be the best use of your time. As an agent, you must put their needs ahead of your own. If your market is improving as it is in many areas, time "may" be on the seller's side. If they are also a buyer though, it may work against them as more expensive homes go up in value and the affordability gap becomes greater.
Don't focus on one potential client or become more motivated than they are. You will be pulling them against their will throughout the whole transaction. Keep your client informed as to what the market for their home is doing and for what the market for their next home would be too and focus on finding other buyer's and seller's who are ready now.