What is the best way to advertise an open house?

Asked by Kensington, 21222 Sun May 22, 2011

I just listed my house,and am trying to get the word out.Thanks-Dan

Answers

11
Ania Miller, Agent, Millersville, MD
Sun May 22, 2011
Some Agents list homes and hope that they sell, others market them to sell. There is a difference! Since you have decided to sell your own home, make sure that you can reach an audience outside of the zip code the state, and yes, even the country. Internet is a wonderful took if you know how to use it.

Open Houses do work if done properly with plenty of preparation..Advertise, make up flyers and walk them around the neighborhood, sometimes, your neighbors can be your best advocates.

Good luck to you, let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help.
One thing to remember...if you are selling your own house and without an Agent, take precautions...you want to know who is walking through your house, have they been qualified to purchase? and the like.

Ania
aniamiller@kw.com
Web Reference:  http://www.aniamiller.com
Also Ania,

Miłego dnia!

Mike
Flag Sun Feb 3, 2013
Ania,

Great answer! I couldn't have said any of it better myself, so I won't even try. I hope Dan has great success planning properly for his open house. Equally importantly, I hope he has an agent who has the same attitude as you about the necessity of preparation.
All the best!
Mike
Flag Sun Feb 3, 2013
David Burnham, , Washington, DC
Sun May 22, 2011
I get about half onf my open house visitors from the Internet and the other half from signs. I usually put out about 15 signs, so I can get people in from the main roads, so you may want to try tht option. If your are doing FSBO, then the Internet might not be a great source for you, because you will not be in the MLS. What you can do is look for other open houses in your neighborhood and put your sgns up so that people going to these open houses will see your signs and hopefully stop by. This way, you can take advantage of some of the traffic that an agent is able to generate online.
The Roskelly…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Sun May 22, 2011
Hi Kensington,

Use a combination of the Internet and print media to get the word out about your open house. Then the day of the event place directional signs from all major intersections to lead potential buyers in. Note for you: Your best "open house" is to have a GREAT photo slide show of a well prepared house on-line for visitors to see 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The days of Open Houses as a marketing tool are almost gone. They just don't work.
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Sun May 22, 2011
Dan, get together with the neighbors on your block and come up with a block garage sale, and grand edge it with your open house. It will draw many to the block, you'll get to make a few dollars with the garage sale as will you neighbors, and the potential lookers of the house will get a great view of how friendly the area is. It is always a great day for showing the house, and dozens if not hundreds will show up!
John Herreid, Agent, Media, PA
Sun May 22, 2011
Best place to advertise an open house is on the Internet, but my feeling is don't bother. National Association of Realtor statistics are that about 1% of the houses sold each year are found on an open house. What they can be good for is helping the realtor find new buyer clients, but that does not help you to get your house sold.

To get your house sold, make sure you have the widest possible Internet exposure, complete with a lot of pictures, an extensive virtual tour and a good description. If you have that, you basically have a 24/7 Open House on the Net.

That plus having the right price will get your house sold.
Web Reference:  http://www.JohnHerreid.com
Marney Kirk, Agent, Towson, MD
Sun May 22, 2011
Hi Dan! If you listed with an agent, your agent can put the open house in the MLS, which feeds to many different sites. If it doesn't feed directly to sites like this one, your agent can manually enter on a few different sites. Your sign post out front can have a rider stating" Open Sunday" or "Open Saturday", and then on the day of the open house, depending which day, your agent can put a number of "Open" directional signs during the time of the open house, and hope for good weather! :)
Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
Web Reference:  http://www.realtormarney.com
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun May 22, 2011
Kensington;
The National Average for open house sales is 2%.
Focus your advertising on other vehicles.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
Ryan Smith, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Sun May 22, 2011
Hello Home Seller. Hopefully your listing agent will take care of promoting your home and any open houses. I'm not sure what the statistics are in your area, but here in Southern CA, open houses generally will not find you a buyer. Like Ron stated, most buyers are online. Ask your agent what they're doing to promote your home on the web. Online exposure, being listed in multiple listing service (MLS) and having your home priced correctly will bring in the buyer.

Best of luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.ajsocal.com
Terry Brennan, Agent, Lutherville, MD
Sun May 22, 2011
Best to post sign on home and put on internet under open houses
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sun May 22, 2011
The figures we are given are that 70%+ of the Buyers are using the Internet. I have seen that the three best spots are Trulia.com, Realtor.com, and Zillo.com. That said, I have found that most people go out looking in the neighborhood they want to live in, and look for the signs for Open Houses. Spontaneous. So, I use 10-20 signs directing people with good ARROWS to the property. When I ask them what brought them in, they say, THE SIGNS! Go for it!
Greg Myers, Agent, Gaitherburg, MD
Mon Feb 6, 2012
Other than "For sale by owner" home seller web sites your only other markering tools are open houses. Real Estate agents have so many more tools in the tool box to procure a buyer for a home. Maryland real estate laws
apply to you as it would any Md licensed RE agent. Be carefull and do you home work to ptotect yourself.