What is the best month to sell a house in Houston? (Get the highest price for it). What is the best month to sell a house?

Asked by mariannehorton, Houston, TX Sun Jun 9, 2013

We are in West Houston and it seems housing prices have jumped in just the last couple of months. Will we miss out if we wait too long?

Answers

16
Sahar Samadi…, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Dec 15, 2014
The best time has usually been in the summer time. Most folks are trying to move prior to their kids starting school. Spring Break is also another great time, but sales typically have a greater turn during the summer.
Justin Moore, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Jul 20, 2014
Sales are cooling a bit, here in Houston but prices are remaining at an all-time high due to lack of inventory. Increased activity is seen in 77082, 77081...from most recent experience. If you are interested in listing your property, I can help you with that and determine the price that is the sweet spot to sell your home in West Houston.
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Jun 10, 2013
There are too many variables. If interest rates continue to rise there will be less buyers in all price points... this means less demand and slower appreciation. In the spring and summer there are more buyers but there is also more inventory. I just listed a home here in Austin that had two buyers outbidding each other. The home ended up selling for almost $20k over asking price and over what it appraised for... if those two buyers were not in the market the home probably would not have sold for what it did.

So my advice to you is sell when you are ready to sell. I do think we could be at the beginning of a long appreciation as far as home values are concerned. While that view is based on good information I could be wrong. It's not likely but anything can happen. Deciding when to sell depends on your circumstances. Are you buying another home? If you need a mortgage the longer you wait could mean a higher interest rate for the life of your new mortgage. Rates could even go down again or stay where they are... nobody knows. We can only speculate so in your case you need to evaluate your specific circumstances and do what is best for you.

Hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference:  http://www.AustinListed.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Mon Jun 10, 2013
People have traditional said and the stats showed it that the most homes sold in April-July, but that may not mean the highest prices time. Market is strong today but how long does it last? One month, one year, 10 years.

I always think it is the best time to sell when you need to sell. No one can really time the market. If they could they would be billionaires. What is the best day next year to lock your interest rate? What is the best day next year to buy gold? When will the price be highest on silver. Which day next week will be the cheapest to buy gas?....you get the picture.

There are just too many variables for anyone to be able to predict accurately.

Sell when you need to sell.
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Jun 10, 2013
Marianne ...

It has little to do with the time of year ... if it did, everyone would wait. All statistics and number-crunching aside, it's all about supply and demand. Right now, inventories are near record lows ... lots of reasons for it, but there's no need to be over-analytical here. At the moment, there are more qualified buyers looking for homes than there are sellers with properties on the market ... it's that simple. Multiple offer situations are common, and homes often sell for more than the original asking price ... close to a feeding frenzy.

I don't see any advantage to waiting. If your home is in a desirable location, is in excellent condition, and is competitively priced (not to worry ... the market will determine what it should sell for) it will likely go quickly.

If I may be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards ...
Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/algeffon
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
Marianne,

Home prices are up all over the Houston area. Average 3 1/2 month supply of homes to sell if nothing else comes on the market. Prices are jumping up quickly.

If you list now, you will likely get a good price and sell quickly. If you wait till next year, you will likely still benefit from the higher prices (we don't expect them to come back down anytime soon!), but possibly more competition if more sellers decided to "make the move". Many sellers are waiting as the current prices are still not where they need to be for them to sell. They want to see them come up a bit more and plan for where they are going to go once they sell.

The best time of the year to place your home on the market is March-June. Getting the best price will depend on a lot of factors including competition you will be facing, the condition of the home and pricing the home to the market at that time.

Of course having a great Realtor assisting you will be the final step. One that knows how to use the latest technology, but still has the personal touch for your needs. If your ready to speak to a Realtor in regards to possibly selling, give us a call now.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
Persis Behra…, Agent, Cinco Ranch, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
Hello Marianne,

Your question is something that all sellers think about currently - do they sell now or wait to see if the market prices rise even more. If you are ready to sell, it is a great time, however, if this is your homestead, do you have another home purchase ready in mind? Also, once you get ready to sell, you need to be prepared to close very quickly if the opportunity arises. As you noted prices are rising, because there is an extreme demand for buying. New homes are selling like hot cakes and resale homes are getting multiple offers.

When you are ready to sell, price it right so you can get offers. Make sure that your home is attractive to all buyers, so you can get the right offers.

Good luck with your decision and if you have any questions, or need assistance, please feel free to call or email.

Persis
persis.realtor@gmail.com
713-294-7747
http://www.har.com/persis
mariannehort…, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
Thank you so much for all of your answers! I never thought about summer being a good time because of people getting ready for school. Maybe we should sell sooner than I was thinking : )
Kevin Sechel…, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
I would list now... The market is on fire and homes are moving fast. My last listing had 5 offers in 48hrs. Now not all homes will move that fast but your chances for top dollar could be now. Houston is in the middle of an inventory shortage and a surplus of buyers. Contact me and I can explain more.

Talk soon,

Kevin Sechelski
832.545.5503
Contact@HouseHuntingHouston.com
Jimmy Farag, Agent, houston, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
Summer used to be the high season but the way the market it is, I would say all year long
David Tansey, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
Its hard to say. It is an extreme seller's market right now. Many experts project that the Houston housing market will be very strong for at least two years. However, timing any asset sell or purchase is risky.

I would be happy to give your a free broker price opinion. If you want to get an idea of your homes value.

P.S. personally I am still purchasing investment property not selling it : )
Web Reference:  http://www.DaveRealty.com
Jordana Ford, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
Marianne, west Houston is selling fast. I have several buyers looking and have had to go above the list price often lately. Certain schools are in demand as well. I don't really see it letting up anytime soon as there is plenty of pent up demand. That is my primary location for selling. Would love to preview your home.
Bobbie Wagner…, Agent, Conroe, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
Summer months are always best, before school starts. And yes, prices have increased and inventory is down so thus is a great time to sell. I just put a home in the market a week ago and got an offer today.

Thus us also a goid time ti buy a new hone, as honebuilders have inventory hones marked siwn.

I would be happy to assist you.

Bobbie Persky
713-530-4088
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
ASAP.......Homes are quickly selling, prices continue to increase, but most importantly at your best time. Speak with one of us, Realtor.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
joelocator@att.net
Web Reference:  http://joelocator.com
Patricia Isom, Home Seller, Katy, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
I wouldn't say that there is a best month. Certainly, you will have more families buying during the summer months (so that they can get established before school starts). I would say that the best time is when you're ready.
mariannehort…, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Sun Jun 9, 2013
I also meant to ask the best month to buy a house.