Sellerinmn, Home Seller in 55122

What is the best FSBO site to use?

Asked by Sellerinmn, 55122 Tue Jul 27, 2010

What are the best sites, what are the differences? Does any one have any experiences to share with using these sites?

Answers

36
Castellucci Laura’s answer
Also, in the interest of my seller's, and anyone else's sellers for that matter, I will absolutely not take strangers to see a home, that I have never I net either met or have received a pre qualification letter or POF(proof of funds) and I also check out the mortgage co and/or call the back to verify. It just takes a matter of one incident for Realtors to wake up!!! Realtors are supposed to always be workin their client's interest, I don' t know why they show homes, not knowing who they are meeting at the property. This should be a standard.. I found that the buyer's wo are SERIOUS about buying WILL provide the necessary documentation...
SAFETY FIRST!!!
. The OP asked about FSBO websites,and instead of getting answers they got unsolicited advice and berated. No wonder they want want to go FSBO. The remarks by most Realtors here makes me want to stay far away from them as possible! What a rude bunch of condescending people.
Ive had success using fsbo sites.

You save your money.

Ive used a couple of fsbo sites and my best experience was with isellmyhome.ca.

They post your property on the MLS as well.
And in my opinion post your property on many more websites then an agents even done for me.

There the cheapest fsbo site out there in Canada and my best experience so far.

Lesspercent.com makes agents bid for your business. ha
Flag Wed May 18, 2016
You still have to be available whenever you are contacted by a realtor who wants to show your home FSBO or realtor listed. These showings can come at any time. Are you telling me that if I am sitting down to dinner I wouldn't be contacted by my realtor that someone wants to show the house? Of course you will.

Houses always needs straightening up no matter how clean you keep it. If you have dogs like I do, you have to make arrangements for them. I f you have a lockbox on your door, you don't always have to be there to show your home either. I used one and the realtors were free to show my house at their scheduled time. As far as buyers not showing up, this can also happen either way (it did for me when I used a realtor too!).

You don't have to keep detailed information on viewers. I could tell within a few minutes if someone was a serious looker or not. My buyer came from an agent because I offered a buyer's agent commission.

You don't have to be home every weekend. You can decide (just like an agent) when to hold your open houses.

You have to go with the best method for you. I have used real estate agents 3 times in the past. Will I use them again in the future? Don't know, but doubt it. I was about to sign with a very good agent, but wanted to wait out the last month of the first time homebuyer's credit qualifying time before I did. I got a buyer and saved me several thousands of dollars out of my pocket.

My problem is a realtor making very generalized statements against FSBO where the scenarios can apply to either side. Of course, realtors aren't going to like a home seller going FSBO. Lost money = sour grapes. But at least make valid arguments.
"Flat fee MLS service : $400-800
Flyers: $50
Open house : $360 (3 OH's at 4 hours each at what your time is worth $30/hr)
Your time showing the house: $300 (20 visitors at 1/2 hour each at $30/hr)
Newspaper advertising of open house: $200-$300 each time
Contract negotiations and follow up: $450 (15 hours at $30/hr)
Time spent waiting for buyers to show who don't: $150
Total: $1860 to $2360 (and there's more I left out)

Things a Realtor does:
Enter into the MLS and take pictures. Upfront cost to you : $0
Advertising on 10-15 wesbties (some paid sites). Upfront cost to your: $0
Ordering and printing flyers. Upfront cost to you: $0
Placing a lockbox so you don't have to be home to have the house shown. Upfront cost to you: $0
Newapaper advertising of open house(s). Upfront cost to you: $0
Contract negotiations and all follow up phone calls and paperwork. Upfront cost to you:$0
TOTAL upfront cost to you: $0 unless the house closes"

Mary,

The one flaw in your argument (although my time is worth something) is that it is not $$$ out of your pocket to hold an open house (I am home anyway!) or sit down for contract negotiations. I kept my house clean and it was almost always ready to show at a moment's notice. Newspaper ads do not cost ANYWHERE near what you put down.

Does it costs money to do a flat fee MLS and flyers - sure, it does. No where near what I would have had to shell out to a selling agent. I did offer a 3% buyers agent commission, but I still saved thousands.

For me the $$$ come down to the bottom line at closing.
you must be a realestate agent?
Flag Sat Jan 25, 2014
Wow, Scott. Your friend definitely sounds like a realtor I would want to stay away from!

FSBO's can work if you do your homework and know what you are getting into. If you do not educate yourself on the process (especially if you have never sold a home before even with a realtor) I would not do it.

A lot does come down to the realtor as your selling agent. I have used 2 realtors in the past and I did more to sell my home than they did! Exposure is the key to success and offering a buyer's agent commission!

To offer up a blanket statement that FSBO's don't work and you have to use a realtor is not true.
The most popular is http://www.forsalebyowner.com. So that's where you want to be if you are going to market on your own.

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director/Appraiser
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Coolest map-based home search: http://www.marcpaolella.com
Watch out if you use forsalebyowner. You need to read that for 299.00 you don't get a local MLS. From my research 80% of FSBO sell using a buyers agent. you have to spend the 499.00 to get that included. Many other Co's for less.
Flag Tue Jul 26, 2016
Mary Said: Open house : $360 (3 OH's at 4 hours each at what your time is worth $30/hr)

The thing is, outside of work most people don't literally get paid for hours of their time. So unless the person is actually forgoing a paycheck to host an open house or wait for buyers to show up there is no real $$ “cost". For example a seller who works the typical 9-5 and spends the weekends relaxing at home probably wouldn’t consider hosting an open house on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon a cost.

Also, unless your goal is to NOT sell your house, what difference does it make if there is no upfront fee associated with listing with a realtor, when your house sells (which according to the majority of the posts I’ve read on Trulia is inevitable when you list with a REALTOR) you'll have to pay them. If I were a seller doing a price comparison of FSBO vs. listing with a REA I would be more concerned with the TOTAL cost to sell my house not who is the cheapest upfront.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 28, 2010
You want to make sure you have the most exposure as possible, so I would put it as many places as you can. Many great sites are mentioned. I would definitely look into a flat fee transaction broker that will put it in the MLS for you as that way you will reach the a good deal of Realtor community as well. We recently brought buyers to one of these and closed the sale. Also, you will get the added benefit of reaching buyers searching the public mls site on their own. You can also try a service called postlets.com, that will post your listing on numerous websites. Hope that helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 28, 2010
Flat fee MLS service : $400-800
Flyers: $50

Things a Realtor does:
TOTAL upfront cost to you: $0 unless the house closes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 28, 2010
There is craigslist.com and fsbo.com but in todays market the cost of not using a pro may be higher then you might think.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 28, 2010
The difference is obviously $$$, you avoid paying commissions. It becomes especially valuable in selling a property under $50K when you're paying a minimum commission regardless of how much the property sells for. The agent is less motivated to sell for more and will likely be aggressively pushing the price down, as the commissions are still the same. Minimum commissions are usually $5,000. Plus lots of red tape.

I have purchased my condo FSBO; it was advertised on a local Craigslist and I responded. I was familiar with the area, liked the complex, the low assessment, the garage parking etc. So we made a deal, I recycled an old contract from the condo sold years ago, located the title company, and bingo, it's transferred.

Really no big deal, anyone can do this. And just to think, the realtors charge a $5K minimum commissions for THAT? A robbery on a highway if you ask me.

My 2 cents.
I would suggest that if you really really are going to go down that dark place of selling on your own then you can look at Foresalebyowner.com, craigslist.com and zillow.com.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 9, 2014
What is dark about it? I have sold a lot of my own houses over the last 40 years. Saved a lot of money.
Flag Mon Mar 2, 2015
I would do a google search in your area for what sites are available and then peruse their site and get as much information on what they will do for you vs. what you could get from a discount broker that will put your home on the MLS and syndicate the listing to numerous other sites like Trulia, Zillow etc..

If you find one that can get you in the MLS with minimal fees you can try that and see how it works for you. Obviously, the more exposure your listing gets the better. You may want to consider slightly increasing the asking price to help pay for maybe a buyer's agent (they will typically want 2.5% to 3.0% depending on your area) and could be well worth paying to get your property sold.

Good luck and hope that helps!
The concept of the more exposure, the better, only works theoretically. In practice, realtors don't always sell despite all the exposure. It all boils down to the right place, right time.
Flag Mon Jul 25, 2016
AS a flat fee real estate Broker I highly recommend sellers do their homework. Look for flat fee Brokers within the state you reside. Talk to them directly. Questions to ask include but are not limited to 'How are leads processed to the seller?' 'Does the Brokerage retain buyer agents that work the leads instead of forwarding to the seller" "How many changes may be made to the listing at no charge" "Will your company have any hidden fees that will appear on the settlement statement at closing?" "Is the seller able to set the compensation fee payable to a buyer agent if one is involved or does the Brokerage mandate a specific fee?" "Is the Broker willing to provide you contact information for sellers in your are so you can contact them directly about their experience?" "Does the listing include enhanced showcase realtor.com (an absolute must if you intend to procure leads and many do not offer this service)". Many of the national sites up charge you and refer your listing to a Broker in your state for a portion of the fee--often times quality control is not a consideration as their goal is to generate revenue. as the seller you need to do your homework so as to ensure the best customer service available in your state.Although we service Ohio you are more than welcome to visit our website to gather information that may assist you with comparing Brokers in your own state http://www.Ohiobrokerdirect.com . I wish all of you the best with the sale of your home!
Thanks, Joan; we are so lost, after 3 realtors, 2 we had to fire for improprieties, and the last one quit on us as she is sweet, but we live in a rural area of GA (made a big mistake, moved from FL) and there are not jobs here, etc. we bought a home, nothing was disclosed and put over 65 k into it after we moved in, b/c we were scammed by local agents!!!
We have just listed on zillow and trulia, and that's it. Since we have always used realtors in the past, who had integrity and did their job, i guess we expected that to happen again. Well, the world is not like that anymore.

i looked at your site, like i said, we are unschooled in this, not real techie and so tired of scams; we also have a large mortgage due to the house not being built to code and the tiny town of good old boys are not honorable. The house is perfect now, beautiful, as well, more like an estate; Any help or direction you can give us would be wonderful. Thanks for your posting, it gives us hope!
Flag Fri Jan 29, 2016
Best FSBO experience I ever got was from isellmyhome.ca .... Would definitely use them again
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 17, 2013
I used ForSaleByOwner and purchased the MLS listing. It sold right away because of the MLS. However, I had to contact the website several times to get the listing removed. It was easy to set up and saved me a lot of commission.
The one that sells your home, LOL! Obviously I 'm a Realtor so I"m bias towards using a Realtor but it looks like you are doing your research which is a great place to start. I wonder if the consumer research site would have actual statistics for your area? Worth a try.

It's ok to try selling yourself, if it works great!! but the old saying is...you get what you pay for...
finding a "good" Realtor, perhaps word of mouth is the best way, and having their expertise and assistance, guidance, etc. can save a seller in the long run much more money than they might be aware of. If a FSBO doesn't have a realtor, I recommend at least hiring an attorney. But the reason the attorney's charge alot less, I don't believe the attorneys prepare the market analysis, market the property, show the home, attend the home inspection, put the signs out, lockbox's, prepare flyers, handle the appointments, are in contact with seller often, on the phone all day with the processing part of it, reason for the percentage's fees..... you get what you pay for, bottom line. I'M AM ALSO VERY CONCERNED with SAFETY ISSUES and time wasters; does the sellers know who's coming in their homes, does the seller know if these prospects are pre qualifed; does the seller know what precautions to take before letting strangers enter their home.????????
FIND A GOOD REALTOR, IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!
There are lots of sites out there only we are in a buyers market! So naturally they aren't going to be looked at as much as the main sites. Realtor.com and Trulia are some of them. Ask your realtor to set you up and you are sure to be happy!
Several sites but if you want the highest exposure to the most able buyers consider a Realtor. Realtors sell homes for 6-10% more than a FSBO which makes the fee you are trying to avoid for free and without the risk of accepting an offer from a non-qualified buyer who will put you through months of aggravation and possibly no closing. However, if you want some tips on selling your home on your own, visit my website below and click on For Sale By Owner Tips.
A realtor avoid wasting my time? I had two buyers who were qualified but not approved! My realtor didn't understand the difference and was too stubborn to learn from me.
Flag Mon Apr 25, 2016
There is craigs list and fsbo.com. But I still feel the if you hire a Realtor you will do much better.
In a buyers' market, no FSBO site is ever best!
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
I understand the time commitment involved. My main question is... between
http://www.forsalebyowner.com
http://www.fsbo.com
http://www.homeavenue.com
http://www.owners.com
Does anyone have experience selling there home on any of these sites?
I agree that a flat fee listing on the mls is crucial. Should just be a few hundred bucks but well worth it.

I have tried forsalebyowner.com to look for listings for my buyers and have been frustrated.

Doesn't seem like a lot there, certainly not as many as the FSBO signs I see around.

Does anyone know, is there a lot of success with this site? If FSBOs aren't listing on there, are there other popular FSBO websites?

I would love to have a great FSBO resource, otherwise I feel like I am leaving out a significant segment of listings available to my buyers. I wish there was at least one definitive one, the go to place where you know, if its a FSBO, it will be there. I don't feel like that exists yet.
Mary,

I also consider my time outside of work more valuable and certainly more enjoyable than my time at work but that fact remains at the end of the weekend no one is handing me a check for the time I spent lounging at home with my husband or going out to dinner with friends. So it's really like comparing apples to oranges. A seller's perceived value of their time is not the same thing as $$ cost.

And not to nit pick but in your example of not being able to go to the movies or dinner actually demonstrates a $$ savings to a FSBO because that's money that they would have otherwise spent had they listed with an agent but as a FSBO they're actually saving that money rather than spending it.
FSBO , Worth a TRY! Finding a reputable and Honest Realtor to help you through the process, PRICELESS!
Stephanie,

I don't know about you but MY time outside of work is actually MORE valuable than my time at work. It's time for my family and friends, and to relax.

By selling FSBO, you are stuck home nights, and weekends showing the house. You have to be more than accomodating to the times the potential buyers are available to see your home, and that can mean dinner time, mid-afternoon on a gorgeous Saturday, or when you have already made other plans.
You constantly have to check voice mail or answer the phone to make appointments for potential buyers, and then be there when they arrive (if they even do).

You have to keeo detailed records of people who saw the home , and follow up with them. (something an REA will do for you)

So yes, I think unless you really don't mind having to be home every weekend, or having to change plans to accomodate a buyer, and never go out at night for dinner or a movie, that this time is as vaulable, if not more so, than work time.
Getting it listed on MLS is key, here in Tucson over 80% of homes sold are thru MLS. Please read my blog about the advantages of using a Realtor. I understand the appeal of doing it yourself, but in the end, a lot of time I see it ends up COSTING the seller more than what the commission would have been. Personally, I would not represent myself in court, I would hire an attorney. Just like I would not try and save a couple of bucks by working on my own teeth, I use a dentist. When you factor in the expenses you are footing plus lack of knowledge about the contract, legal rights, comps, the process in general...the potential loss of $$$ far outweighs the couple of % you could save by doing it yourself. That is simply one Realtors opinion, and of course I realize it is biased. Good luck.
I don't know if there is a "best" site to use - people use different sites so it would probably be impossible to find a site that has all of the FSBO's listed. If you are looking for a site with homes (other than FSBO's) I think the best ones are Trulia and Realtor.com
Hi Seller. There's nowhere in the market to get the same bang for your buck that you would get using a licensed real estate agent or REALTOR. Nothing comes close. I've sold homes both ways BEFORE I was licensed in real estate. I'm being completely objective.

Even the discount companies cannot market like a seasoned professional. A very good friend of mine worked for one of these companies a few years ago. She told me, off the record, that there was little to no incentive for her fellow agents to work hard to get a higher price on their listing, since they were working for flat fees. They always jumped at the first offer and strong armed the owner into taking it.

GOOD LUCK!

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
As previously mentioned forsalebyowner.com and craigslist.com are two proven resources for FSBO's.

A word of caution: several years ago, when we were in a completely different type of market, FSBO's were experiencing a fairly high level of success because buyers viewed this market sector as a means by which to save on their purchase.

Today's buyers are better informed than any buyers ever before and know where savings can be found. And that is in the Short sale and foreclosure markets. These highly discounted properties reprsent the "hottest" market ever. With this said, anyone tossing their hat into the real estate ring should do so with the undertanding that their main competition will be these distressed sales. If you don't market your home effectively, don't benefit from the experience of a RE professional, and don't price it accurately a a reflection of the current local real estate market, the road you choose may be long, lonely, frustrating, and more costly in the long run.......

Best wishes,

Sorry, Ron, but I have to disagree with you. I used craigslist, Zillow and owners.com. I also used a reputable flat fee MLS service, printed flyers, had open houses and was successful in selling my home FSBO and saved over $3000 doing it. The key is to educate yourself on the process, market like crazy and get on the MLS.
Sellerinmn,

There are a few websites forsalebyowner.com, fsbo.com, owners.com but can I be honest if you are selling your home none of those sites work. Ill be straight with you like you are a friend or a brother you will put your property on one of those sites and will recieve so many calls from realtors telling you they have buyers and see if they can come talk to you abouutlisting your house and no buyers will call. Realtors go on those websites more then buyers do to solicite listings. I know you may want to save some comission or fell that the market is soft or just that you can do it on your own but as a friend whether it be me or another 'PROFESSIONAL' on here you choose to talk to remember comission is always negotiable until you accept an offer, the more yor home is marketed the better chance youu have of a higher offer and just putting your home on one or two web sites to save a comission is not going to sell your home. Do some homework and see who is a realtor who is a good listing agent who has a lot of listings and who is aggressive in marketing and someone you trust to get the job done for you and let one of us help you trust me if you find the right realtor you wont mind paying and negotiating a commission with them.

Ron Simone Jr
All Towne Realty
Realtor/Associate
732-978-0991 Cell
732-453-2900 Private
Ronsimonejr@gmail.com
I'm sure Rockinblu will be along sometime to answer, but in the mean time try this blog. It's a little lengthy but full of great FSBO information.