What is one legally obligated to disclose about my home?

Asked by Trulia Chicago, Chicago, IL Fri Dec 14, 2012

Answers

20
Maria Cipollone’s answer
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
In most states the only disclosure necessary is anything related with the property. You may need additional disclosures depending on what state the property is located.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 tenace

http://www.Flhomepsecialist.com
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Fri Dec 14, 2012
That depends upon your local and State laws. Before we had specific disclosure documents, I (as an agent) would make a judgement about how much the customer understood and if I thought they would not recognize that, for instance, the home needed a new roof, I would find a way to communicate that. If they were savvy enough to figure that out for themselves, then I would not feel compelled to mention it. Things that a normal person could not observe that I knew about (such as a failed septic) would be mentioned. I didn't dwell on it unless asked, but wanted to make them aware.
Dirk Gould, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
It is impossible to answer this question without further information. If you want to discuss in detail, I would be happy to help you as a realtor or as an attorney
Sohail Salah…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sat Dec 15, 2012
All material defects that you are aware of must be disclosed. We have a real property disclosure report required that is required to be completed and on this form it asks you specific questions that you must truthfully answer.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Usually your agent must disclose any defects in your home that they are aware of to potential buyers.
Miekeba Jones, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Hi Trulia, known defects.
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Legally that is a good legal question to ask a good attorney James Schutz 773 680 7426
Maja Brajic, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Feb 5, 2013
Any material facts that you are aware of. Read all disclosures from the agent before you sign them.

Maja
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 19, 2012
best to call your attorney about all legal questions
Ivan Sagel, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Dec 19, 2012
All material defects that you are aware of must be disclosed. Read the forms slowly and carefully. If there is a line you don't understand, ask for an example.

Best of luck,

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
Seth Captain, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Dec 17, 2012
Based on the amount of property disclosures I see as a buyer's agent in Chicago, I'd have to answer:
Not much
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Dec 17, 2012
everything on disclosure sheet that the agent has you fill out
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Legally....not sure about that!

However, the general rule of thumb that agents should live by is, "disclose, disclose, disclose."
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
legally sound like you should consult your attorney
Manuel Brown, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Dear Homeowner,

Any known defect must be disclosed. If you have no knowledge of a defect, how can you disclose it?
If it is later found out that a homeowner selling a home had knowledge of a defect they could be held liable depending on the state law.
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Any material defects wrong with the property.
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
All items on the standard disclosures must be honestly answered:
Mold, radon, Lead Based Paint, Residentail Real Property Disclosure Report.

In addtion if you are a Realtor and it's your house you must disclose & you must disclose if you are related to your client.
Phil Mistrata, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Adverse conditions that affect the home that you are aware of. Its mandatory to fill out a property condition report and the questions need to be answered honestly to avoid litigation after the sale.

As answered before consult an attorney if you are questioning anything you want to withhold. It will come back to you after the sale
Mark Bazzetta, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
If you are using a licensed real estate broker, they should be able to provide you with the necessary disclosures that is mandated by law.

Mark
Web Reference:  http://www.MarkBazzetta.com
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 14, 2012
You should speak with your attorney about that, but if you were a buyer what would you want the seller to tell you???