Gladys, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

What is TLC?

Asked by Gladys, Los Angeles, CA Sun Apr 17, 2011

I saw a listed home and the say it does not have TLC

Answers

11
Hi Gladys,

The definition of TLC has already been answered below so just keep in mind it's a matter of interpretation, TLC, Fixer Upper, Diamond in the rough, lot's of potential, deferred maintenance etc. Until you actually see the property you won't really know in what shape it's in.

Best of luck.
I just used this in my recent short sale listings to describe a home that has not been maintained totally and will need some cosmetic and minor repairs by a new buyer.

Tender Loving Care needed certainly does not mean a home that is turn-key or move-in ready.
gladys,

This could mean a lot of things. I've purchased many homes in need of TLC but I'm a broker, contractor and investor and I look for homes like this. In fact we love the homes that most buyers and agents cringe over.

Bring us the worst of the worst be they cracked slabs, bad roofs, dry rot, bad infrastructure, concrete in the toilet and plumbing, ripped out copper wiring and piping, torn up drywall, stolen appliances, toilet fixtures, etc and we'll purchase them for cash if it meets our buying criteria and exit strategies.

We provide a one-stop turn key solution to investors and prospective homeowner looking for a bargain on distressed properties. If, however, you don't want to go down that road in order to save thousands of dollars then you'd be better off dealing with a good RE agent/broker who knows how to find the best home in the area you want to live in and for the price point you can comfortably afford. Good luck
It can mean there are defects, both seen and unseen..so..Buyer Beware!
Don't consider this property if you don't want a "Fixer Upper" in this market that can mean anything from simple fixes to a complete home Re-Pipe or Electrical and Roofing. These can cost you to repair. I recommend you get a good inspection done before you plunge!
Gladys,
Tender Loving Care
This is a nice way of saying;
the house is tore up.
Lack on being maintained.
Some would say cosmetic.
Some would say ugly to the bone
Some would say start off with a bull dozer
Some would say plan on becoming great friends and later enemies with a bunch of construction workers.
Some would say,... NEXT
On some places it might just be carpet and paint, and cabinets, Doors, baseboards, flooring, showers, sinks, toilets, counter tops, appliances, water heaters, air conditioners, heaters, light switches, plugs, drywall patch replacing,....
You know TLC

hit like if you laughed
Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomesrealestate.com
http://www.socalhomesrealestate.com
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
T= Tender
L= Loving
C= Care

Means the home will require work AND it could mean only cash buyers

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
tender loving care.... it means that it probably hasn't been updated recently, needs styling and could also have some other issues that are not cosmetic. It can mean that the property was not well maintained so if you are thinking of purchasing here's a warning....."INSPECT, INSPECT INSPECT!!!!" Since I work in Los Angeles, you can also call me for additional guidance.
As others pointed out it stands for Tender Loving Care, but in the context of real estate it can mean anything from needs some maintenance to a serious fixer. Depends on the agent/broker as it is a subjective term.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
In my experience, TLC (Tender Loving Care) means that it needs some cosmetic work, but is structurally sound.
tender loving care.... however everyone interprets this differently. I have seen some real fixers labeled TLC. Some agents use it so as to not offend owners that property needs to be completely remodeled :)

Glen
Web Reference: http://www.maui4rent.com
Usually means it needs some work.