What does the term, co-listing agents mean? Also, could they be from different areas or even states?

Asked by Jeb, Idaho County, ID Sun Aug 16, 2009

Was wondering if this would be something we might look into when our present listing runs out. We are presently living in Idaho and are looking to move to the Wenatchee area when our home finally sells. This is a hard market to be selling in, especially in the area that we live in. Beautiful country, but not alot of jobs. Guess you would say, "great for the retired people."

Answers

2
Kristin Laur…, , Meridian, ID
Sun Aug 16, 2009
Hi Jeb, a "co-listing agent" is when two agents team up to sell a listing, this is usually a real estate team, but also could be two agents who just happen to set up an agreement to work on that particular listing, and then they have an agreement to split the commission side for the listing agent. As for your question regarding co-listing agents being from different areas or states, my understanding is that the agent who agrees to take a listing (even as a co-listing agent) must be licensed to work in that state. Also you it would be in your best interest to have the agent(s) be members of that particular multiple listing service so that you get the most exposure of your home. My advice to you right now is if you're looking at finding another agent that you look for someone who can target your home to that demographics you described, and who has a lot of relocation and out-of-state marketing resources to get your home listing out there to the most amount of people. You're right it is a hard market right now, but there are still homes selling, as I don't have any specifics on your home I can't be more specific, and since you are working with an agent it is not ethical of me to approach you. Good luck and I hope my advice helps!
We have just been advised that we should "ask/request" for our agent to CO-LIST and the suggestion came when I called another office in his company & ask a few questions.. He neglected to inform us that he does not have membership to our local MLS although he does have a NC & GA Real Estate License. Buyer Beware - or - maybe anyone who uses the services of a real estate agent need to be very real estate savy to know what to ask...
Flag Fri Aug 16, 2013
Rekha Shah, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Wed Mar 4, 2015
Every State has their own rules regarding Real Estate, I would not suggest to hire co-listing agent from different state. some brokers also doesn't allow two different Broker to list the property.

949-202-6106
Rekha at Keller Williams Coastal