What does adding a gate to a community do to home values?

Asked by George Holmes, Walls, MS Mon May 7, 2012

Also, does it make it harder or easier to sell. The greater exclusivity I'm sure isn't a plus for everyone.

Answers

1
Cathy Bureau, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon May 7, 2012
A gated community tends to have less crime since the egress, ingress is challenging. Its sort of like when a car thief goes car to car to check for one that's unlocked, then steals radios, etc. Its called the path to least resistance. You may get a discount on your home insurance depending on your state and community.

In a gated community there tends to be greater control over the aesthetics of a community. If you are a meticulous person then this is a good option for you. If you are a messy person then maybe not as the neighbors will rat you out. Homeowners also need to get architectural committee permission for home improvements which prevents your neighbors from bringing down house values.

I hope this helps.

Cathy Bureau
Broker-Owner
Green Home Realty