What do home sellers want most from a Realtor?

Asked by Laura Wheeler, Louisville, KY Sun Feb 6, 2011

Realtors all think they know exactly what sellers want in a Real Estate Agent. I want to hear it straight from the horses mouth. If you've had your home for sale in the last few years- be as honest as you can, and tell me what you liked, and didn't like about your agent. Also, was there anything you wish they had done differently?

Answers

13
Wes Black, Agent, Louisville, KY
Fri Feb 25, 2011
Laura, The sellers want their realtor to be enthusiatic, communicate with them on a regular basis and very important, let them know what is happening in the process and why. Many sellers feel like they have no control once they turn the listing over to a realtor. I do my best to explain to them that there are three things that sell their home, location, price and condition. The last two are critical to the success of the sale and pretty much under their control. I give them my best advice and encourage their buy in to achieve a mutual understanding and respect for the job at hand. What I believe the sellers don't like is overpromising and under delivering agents. Less of that and we may see a downtrend in expired listings. Thanks for the question.
David Pauley, , Louisville, KY
Mon Feb 7, 2011
One answer: return every phone call, every day. I've been in mortgage lending for over 17 years. Real estate agents and mortgage originators share a lot of similarities in terms of developing client relationships and discovering new ones. We've always the rule to return every phone call, every day. If someone calls four times, call them back five times. It's a very nervous and exciting time when it comes to buying a home. Buyers (and sellers) like to be able to stay in touch.
Elizabeth Mo…, Agent, Louisville, KY
Sun Feb 6, 2011
A Realtor with a strong marketing plan and overall a Realtor that they know, trust and believe can get the job done!
Daniel Smrt, Agent, Washington, MO
Mon Feb 1, 2016
i know this is an old post, but I was googling something and this came up...so just one thought..I am A Realtor in Washington Missouri ( mentioning that might help with my SEO, lol ) I could be wrong but didn't Laura ask for comments from the horses' mouth ( A Seller ), why did any of you answer???hilarious, none of these Realtors actually listened....geez
Cliff Amasol…, Home Owner, San Antonio, TX
Sat Dec 20, 2014
Laura, I bought and sold few real estates in the past, and one realtor, Mantas Raulickis, while I was selling a home in 2006 in Las Vegas, NV. If I may add, this was a remote, email, and phone conversations since my military career moved me to San Antonio, TX. Also, I don't normally make selection without any interview.

So in 2006, I browse the internet reviewing realtor profiles and calling them until I spoke with Mantas. He did not tell me things that I just wanted to hear rather he knew his market and he had strategy. This home was in North Las Vegas. Mantas listed it, and within few months, I received an offer, and I told Mantas to pass; however, Mantas explained to me and convinced me to make a counter which is the normal practice. Mantas submitted my counter and it was accepted. It was smooth transaction even though no face-to-face contact with each other. It closed and my mortgage was paid off.

If I had not met Mantas virtually, I would have been in big trouble - the property value was $335K when it was listed, and when I visited last year, the property value was around $109K. Buyer or seller must do their due-diligence and ask the tough questions. Also negotiate. If you find an "honest" realtor that you can trust and work with keep that realtor. I am now retired from the military after over 21-years, and I was approached to become a realtor, including my wife, http://www.EmmaLopezHomes.com @EmmaLopezHomes, who became a realtor after our few real estate transactions. I am better off just helping in her marketing and operations:) - Thank you.
Joe Kucharski, Agent, Naperville, IL
Thu Jan 23, 2014
I keep losing listing after listing due to my sincere honesty (I think). I work in a affluent area, so even if the listing expires with the agent that told them what they wanted to hear, I believe the sellers ego keeps him/her from picking up the phone and calling me, I may be wrong. My wife tells me I probably don’t get the listing because my commission is 6%, I don’t believe this to be true. I can statistically prove that I sell my listings for about 3% more than the average L S ratio,vs. OLS ration.

I am in constant contact with all my clients, I also update them in writing every 10 days, I do not advise them for my personal gain-commission breath. I always promise to represent their best interest as I would my own, and I do. I am intelligent, very communicative, and tell the truth in a tactful way with the prospects permission. I’m getting to a point to where I just don’t know what to do after 20 years in this business. BTW–I am tech savvy as well. Please help if you can, I love your post.

I had a great listing appointment last week and the woman told me, “Between you and I, we are strongly favoring you out of the 3 agents.” This is when I was walking out the door, no commissions were discussed that some great the rapport was. 2 days later I get a text message thank you for all your help you were fantastic, but were listing with another agent. (LOL, what the heck?)

JUST A THOUGHT: “The horses mouth,” is a prospective seller, and unfortunately not one of us. What I would give to hear their heartfelt response, which I always get from my referrals, which thank the Lord most of my business is referral or else I would be broke.

Sorry this is so long, I’m just a bit frustrated.
Linda Pillard, Agent, Woodland, CA
Thu Dec 26, 2013
Each Seller is different. You really do not know what they want until you understand what is most important to them. I take each client through a process to understand them and the things that are important to them so I can best serve each and everyone of my clients.
Ronnie Bramer, Agent, Fort Thomas, KY
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Simply to sell their home. The other stuff is just actions we do to get there.
Laura Wheeler, , Louisville, KY
Sun Feb 6, 2011
Love these! Keep 'em coming!!
As a current owner/seller of two properties in a High Development Area of Jefferson County I can tell you my brief experience. I contact a prospective agent, met with them was promised the moon, signed contract and then within 2 months they fell off the radar. It wasn't until by doing my own research online that I found out a new fast food restaurant was going in and 3 other major properties within 1 mile of mine had sold for $375,000 - $1,00000 per acre which my agent had not only informed me of but didn't even know about the sales. I fired the agent and took the properties off the market. I am now putting the properties back on the market but am way ahead of any agent except for the ones who are in the process of closing the current deals.
Flag Sun Jun 16, 2013
Vicki Holmes, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Sun Feb 6, 2011
The most common complaint that I hear from sellers who have had their property listed previously by another agent, say that the agent didn't keep in contact with them. They say that they never heard from their agent and never knew what was going on with their listing and the acitivity and certainly didn't get feedback from the showings. The sellers are so anxious to sell and not knowing anything can be very frustrating.
The other qualities that I hear from sellers is an agent that will listen to their needs and work on their behalf to market the home.
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Sun Feb 6, 2011
Laura feed back from the people that I talk to is to get the home sold at an acceptable price. I can not take every listing opportunity that is presented to me because the price that is acceptable to the owner is not a realistic market price.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Feb 6, 2011
Honesty, quality service, and feedback!
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Sun Feb 6, 2011
Honesty, Integrity are great. Getting the job done with a marketing plan, and a true evaluation of that home in the current marketplace and where it should be priced to SELL is key!