Home Selling in Pflugerville>Question Details

frustratedse…, Home Seller in Pflugerville, TX

What can a seller do if potential buyers say, "the floorplan doesn't work or flow.?"

Asked by frustratedseller, Pflugerville, TX Wed Oct 2, 2013

2 story home with 5 bedrooms 4 up (including master) 1 down...3 full baths 2 up 1 down. Study/Formal living area in the front of the house across from a formal dining. Kitchen Breakfast nook all open to Family Room back of the house. Bedroom in a hallway off of family room bathroom across from laundry room and then garage door...house has been on the market 6 months...3 contracts (2 retracted for stupid reasons and 1 ridiculously low ball offer countered and buyer walked away)

You can't make every buyer happy.
I agree! It sucks though. We get great feedback! The house shows very well and is very clean, yet no official takers yet!
Flag Wed Oct 2, 2013
You can't do anything about a home's floor plan but you can do something about the appearance of the layout. One of my listings had a nice but odd floor plan and the furniture, accessories, and placement of items within the home made it look and feel more odd.

As I evaluated the home it became clear that the problem was not so much the floor plan but lack of a comfortable flow in the house from one area to the next. I quickly hired a well-known professional interior designer. The company used some of and removed items in the house resulting in a cohesive and function-friendly floor plan flow and environment. It only took me a few days to generate new buyer and agent activity resulting in a cash offer and closing within 10 days of the offer. Total listing period to accepted offer was less than 60 days.

I think it would be very tough for some sellers to look at their homes and see anything other than their comfortable homes full of wonderful memories and collectibles. Good luck to you and thank you for sharing your story.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013
You are welcome! You've received some great activity on the house and received offers...folks are interested in your house. I truly enjoy motivating, inspiring, and exciting buyers. As a broker, failure is never an option in my business. I thrive on challenges and this results in positive solutions for my clients. With offers, I always suggest to my clients that it does not matter if an offer comes in low. Getting an offer is a grand opportunity to renegotiate terms and pricing. Lowering the price will invite additional pool of buyers, and maybe generate second showings from prior interested buyers. Please update us on your progress. We are here to help! Thanks again and best of luck to you.
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
Thank you! We've done all we can, so we've just lowered the price and we'll see what happens. It's a nice house, someone will love it!
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations here.

We have a couple of listings where "floor plan" came up in the feedback. There isn't really much you can do about that.

The fact that you have had offers and were under contract twice is a good sign overall. I would say that patience needs to be a part of it.

Good luck to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013
Thank you!
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hello Frustrated,

Selling a home can be stressful. Assuming the home is priced correctly and it appears that may be the case because you have had some offers I can recommend the following. If there is an issue with the floorplan you really cannot do much with that but you can make sure the home is staged to show as well as possible.

Make sure you remove any overly large furniture to open up rooms. This will automatically create a better flow. Remove a lot of the personal items and make sure rooms are being used for the purpose they are created for. Make sure there is plenty of light. Roll up the blinds and make sure the windows are spotless. I could go on but this should give you some ideas if you have not done all of this already.

Hope this helps.

Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013
We 've done pretty much all of the above. Thank you!
Flag Thu Oct 3, 2013
How many times have you heard that out of the 20 + showings? Is the same floor plan for sale somewhere else? Or has the same floor plan sold recently in your neighborhood. Have your realtor look at those sales to see if you're priced in the same range or talk with the other listing agents to see if they are having or have had the same comments.
Have you asked what it is about your floor that doesn't work or doesn't flow?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013
Try rearranging furniture or even removing some furniture. Try and define spaces and focal points, potentially changing the feel of the layout.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 2, 2013