What can I do to make my house smell YUMMY for my open house today?

Asked by Amwagner, Pacific Palisades, CA Sun Jul 24, 2011

Last week I baked a few apples, but it didn't last very long. Any suggestions would be awesome! THANK YOU!!!

Answers

32
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Might as well roast some marshmallows! Just a clean and shiny home with a mellow smell will do!
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Aug 3, 2011
If you're still doing Open Houses (I hope you are under Contract by now);

We have had good luck with Cookies and especially BREAD!

I remember my Dad's shop was down the street from the WEBER's BREAD bakery. YUM!!!
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Thu Jul 28, 2011
Dump Pine-sol in the commodes, use lots of incense and eucalyptus throughout the enclosed part of your home. Plant some last minute Disneyland and Star Jasmine at all the entrances. Don't fart.
Rudi Hofmann, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, El Segundo, CA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
No one mentioned popcorn. What's wrong with popcorn? Most folks love the smell of fresh popcorn. Don't you?

Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference:  http://www.umboc.com
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
Chocolate Chip cookies or Lasagna,,,,,I think the cookies will be easier to make though.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
GERALDINE CL…, Agent, Brentwood, CA
Wed Jan 15, 2014
To create a homey atmosphere, put some cinnamon spice in a pot with water. Have it simmer on your stove for a half-hour before your showing.

Or purchase an apple cinnamon candle or apple cinnamon spray. This will create a nice inviting environment.
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Thu Jan 10, 2013
I personally dislike most flavorings and smells, but love a airy home. In your area you likely have a nice ocean breeze coming in. Open all the windows that should be enough.
susana, Home Buyer, Pacific Palisades, CA
Mon Oct 29, 2012
We have lemons all the time. My house is always smelling fresh. You can have a try to plant lemon tree in your yard.
Verena Robin…, Agent, Mammoth Lakes, CA
Fri Aug 31, 2012
I have to agree that if the property is already clean, then the smell of fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies is a great way to achieve this.
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sun Jul 15, 2012
Dear Amwagner,

Tricks of the Trade: Most loves scents

1. Vanilla Vanilla and vanilla-based aromas have remained the most popular scent for almost a decade.
Other favorites
cinnamon
coffee
mocha
pumpkin
apple pie
brown sugar
hazelnut.

I would recommend burning a scented candle as they will last the entire day.
Heather Paul, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Wed Feb 22, 2012
Good quality candles last a really long time. Also, you can never go wrong with chocolate chip cookies! :)

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
310-586-0364
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Thumbs up to Allen. Love the MELLOW SMELL as WELL.
Tatiana Xene…, Agent, Portland, OR
Thu Jul 28, 2011
Hi Amwagner - it depends on what is causing your home to not smell yummy..if it is carpet, then a solid, deep cleaning is suggested, if it is pet odors, open window and use a gradual dispensed air freshener. For my opens, I always like to open windows to clear out the stale air, light a few candles or get air fresheners that are of the variety of "fresh linen, green gresh, mountain air, fresh rain" etc Fred Meyers has a $1 variety of air fresheners that dispense gradually that have outdoor flavors. - otherwise you'll have really fake smells in your home. Hope this is helpful.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Mon Jul 25, 2011
I love cinnamon and orange peels simmering on the stove!

Chris
Web Reference:  http://raveis.com/chrispagli
Shel-lee Dav…, Agent, Rolling Hills Estates, CA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
My recommendation for long lasting good scents is either cinnamon or vanilla beans in a pot of simmering water or a small crock pot. The scent lasts as long as the water does, so make sure you keep adding a little water every few hours. And they are not as overpowering as some of the candles people burn. When the scent is too strong it is a real turn off, as people wonder what odors you are trying to hide.

Of course, baking a batch of cookies every 30-45 minutes and having them out, warm, on a plate for the people coming through the open house usually scores pretty high, too.

Have a great day and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis, QSC®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource – SFR®
Certified HAFA Specialist – CHS®
SSG Pro®
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
424-2HELP12 (424-243-5712)
myrealestateanswers@gmail.com
http://shel-lee.listingbook.com
Elliott R. O…, Agent, McLean, VA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
You can't go wrong with SUGAR COOKIES!!!!!
Heather Wrig…, Agent, The Dalles, OR
Sun Jul 24, 2011
I love it! I think freshly baked chocolate chip cookies are great! Everybody loves the smell of cookies baking! I hope that helps! Good luck!
Heather
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
We have a lemon tree in our yard - we fire a few lemons down the garbage disposal ... :)
.
Margaret Has…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sun Jul 24, 2011
Bake some cookies! And offer them to people who come to visit the open house. It's a great trick new home builders use. You can also check out my blog at http://www.trulia.com/blog/margarethassani/ for easy tips and tricks to help sell your home.
John Barry, Agent, Eagle Rock, VA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
Hi Amwagner,

How about baking some chocolate chip cookies? Talk about smelling yummy! Plus, you can hand them out to your guests... If that is too much, I have heard you can put a few drops of vanilla on a baking sheet and put that in the oven, which will also smell pretty good. You can always try scented candles also. Good luck with your open house!

John Barry
DRE #01856079
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Email: john.barry@coldwellbanker.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RealtorJB
Twitter: @RealtorJB
Emiepstein, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Fri May 19, 2017
doctor aromas! http://www.doctoraromas.com

they are coming out with a new "on the go" size so you don't have to invest in the entire product, too (although I would recommend that you do... well worth it) and that is PERFECT for open houses.
Kevin and Ju…, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Fri Jun 6, 2014
baking cookies sounds like a good idea -
whiskeyjenki…, , Silver Spring, MD
Thu Jun 5, 2014
Have you though of burning some incense? My sister does that when she has visitors over and it smells good. I'm not sure what scent she uses but it always gets compliments.

Will Jenkins http://www.htfmall.com/listing.asp?dept_id=27030&nopopup=1
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Mon Jul 22, 2013
Use something natural. Today many have sensitivity to scents and the artificial sprays are not acceptable.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Is this home still on the market? It must be reeling from the mixed bag of fragrances by now. LOL!
Douglas Lagos, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Jan 14, 2013
It's question is 7 months old
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Wed Aug 3, 2011
"For my clients, I set the table with placements and dinnerware (nothing expensive that can be taken by sticky fingers)."

Hmm...........if I saw a fully complimented table ready for a feast the first thing I'd be doing is looking for some fine dining which would totally distract me from the subject at hand.

"I place large vases of fresh flowers in the home to draw the buyers eye to a staged scene, and I create emotion with themes."

Now just how do you know that YOU are creating "Emotion with Themes?" You don't think a few fresh fragrances would suffice? Nothing better than indigenous aromas permeating the environment. Frankly I think anyone with a sense of smell would be lured to a fresh fragrance. But then that's just my humble opinion.
Jessica Acker, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Mon Jul 25, 2011
Renuzit has a line of air freshening pearls in a jar that are light and refreshing and you do not have to plug anything in or worry about a fire hazard with an unattended candle. These pearls are super odor neutralizers which eliminate the toughest scents like smoke, pet, kitchen, and bathroom odors.

I use these at my rental vacancies because many of them do not have electricity and the beads keep the unit fresh for weeks at a time.

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
1415 Stanford St., Suite #4| Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct: (310) 828 - 3132 Fax: (310) 829 – 2079
Email: Jessica@wellmanproperties.com
Web: http://www.wellmanproperties.com
DRE #01894323
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sun Jul 24, 2011
There are many options purchased in store last longer than baking or cooking

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
Oh wait a sec ... you are in CA ... pulled pork may not be a great idea with all those vegetarians :-)
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
LOL. I applaud the effort. There are high quality candles that will last for hours and hours. If you really want to have something in the oven and are fixated on apples then you need to add fat to your recipe. Apples are pretty much just good carbs and fiber. I'd recommend a small crock pot with apple slices, a stick or two of butter, or 1 stick of butter and an equal amount of olive oil, . I'd also probably add some cinnamon and/or vanilla. Set to 250-275.

Pulled pork is a good one. Just take a pork shoulder, put it into a roasting pan, protected with aluminum foil, set to 225 and let sit there for 10-12 hours ... trust me - you don't need to give it a dry rub or marinade. it will come out just FINE. Low and slow ... that's the way. And the smell ...OMG.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Jul 24, 2011
Barbecue?

How's the weather? If it's a nice day, you're going to want to have the windows and doors open, so food scents aren't going to last long. Maybe something oil-based, such as a pitcher of lemonade, heavily zested. If it's a nesting-type day, then, sure - warming, oven-baked foods will give a sense of comfort.

I'd like to come over about 3:30 or so; please save a plate for me! (Joke!)