What are the 3 most important factors you would take into consideration when selecting a real estate professional to help you sell your home?

Asked by Robert H. Ashburner, Jr., Virginia Beach, VA Sun Mar 31, 2013

Answers

6
thinz, Agent, Allenhurst, NJ
Wed May 6, 2015
Credibility, honesty, and results. If they have credibility and get results, you know they have the experience and knowledge to make it happen. You will also have confidence in them being the right person for the job and pricing your home to get you the result you need. Good luck...
Tom Hinz thinz@apexgroupus.com http://www.shortsaletosell.com
Rodney Fentr…, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Fri Aug 1, 2014
I think one factor is how active the professional is. What are his or her sales ytd and how does that compare to the rest. A lot of veteran agents talk about how many sales they have in their lifetime but, what point of their career are they currently in? I believe that a currently active up and coming agent can sometimes be more effective than a veteran who maybe is not as aggressive any more.
Robert H. As…, , Virginia Beach, VA
Thu Sep 19, 2013
Ann, I completely agree with you. It is very important to be able to actually shake hands with the person or persons a home seller or buyer will be working with from the real estate professionals all the way to the licensed contractor making any necessary repairs.

You bring up an excellent point with respect to working with a professional. Please explain to our readers the difference between a Realtor and a Real Estate Agent.

Please help our readers with some examples of what questions you feel are important for a perspective client to ask if they are:

Selling their home
Or
Purchasing their first home

I also agree with you about open and clear communication - Good, Bad or Ugly.

Time is of the essence especially if that news is ugly.

The more time everyone has to work on an issue the better.

No need to panic or stress – just act accordingly.

As my stepfather & Fighter Weapons Instructing a.k.a. “Top Gun” - Fighter Pilot used to say, “Don’t waste time fretting about it – take action and do the best you can with what you are presented.”

In essence “Speed is Life!”

Robert H. Ashburner, Jr. NMLSR 607856
Monarch Mortgage
300 32nd Street, Suite 300
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23451
757-390-2235 Office
757-625-5851 Cell
757-390-2335 Fax
Ann Markley, Agent, Chesapeake, VA
Thu Sep 19, 2013
Definitely Must "Like your Realtor", Personality conflicts upfront will not make the process any easier. Do you know the difference between hiring an Agent or a Realtor?? Do your homework.. Communication is the Key, Ask for references of past and current clients. Don't always base your final decision on the Agent or Realtor who says that they are able to get you the highest price and then come back to you within 30-45 days to ask for a price reduction.. My #1 key is Communication, Good, Bad or Ugly and Hard Facts..
Web Reference:  http://www.AnnMarkley.com

Selling their home
Or
Purchasing their first home

As my stepfather & Fighter Weapons Instructing a.k.a. “Top Gun” - Fighter Pilot used to say, “Don’t waste
Flag Thu Sep 19, 2013
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Mon Apr 1, 2013
Depends on what buttons the home seller has.
-
If 'retained equity' is the most valuable and emotional factor, you want an agent with advanced negotion techniques who can turn an inquiry into a purchase offer. An objection into an incentive.
A counteroffer into a compromise. Lack of funds into a profit center.
-
If the seller is anxiety prone, the agent needs to lay out a very, very clear road map regarding the sequence of events, what obstacles lay ahead and how these obstacles will be overcome. No surpises it the most important factor for this seller.
-
Then there's the 'don't bother me' seller. Bring me an offer above $$$ and I'll sign it. I don't care how you do it. I'm too busy to be distracted. You need to make your meeting time count.
-
DIY. This seller feels they know more about real estate than you do. They have lived under a roof their entire lives (their sole qualification) and resent the realization the sign in the yard proved ineffectve and they just flushed $2,500 down the drain. And, in their heart, they know its your fault. ('cause you didn't bring your buyer to their door.) The most important factor in this situaion is understanding who is piloting the craft, and what the decision parameters of the seller will be. A foggy idea gets foggy results and that will be your fault also.
-
This last home seller, has sold homes before and understands there exsits an entire insdustry based on the efficent and professional purchase and sale of real estate. For this home seller, the most importtant factors must be the demonstration by the agent that they can hear the questions that are not being asked. This buyer has seven questions. They do not know they have these seven questions. However, when presented with this crucial list, they always concur. Two of these questions are (not in priority order) :
1. How long will it take?
2. How much will it cost?
3. --
4. --
5. --
6.--
7--
When these seven questions are fully answered without the seller asking any of them, the seller can be confident this agent has their best interests at heart. This is the perfect "Don't listen to what I say, but observe what I do." By their actions you will know them. By their words they disquise who they are. As a seller, this is the right time to observe. In the end, the agent will present, "These are the seven questions I know you have, Have they ALL been answered fully?" The seller will respond affirmative and understand there is no reason to postpone.

Aside from the above, the three important factors are"
1. Do you buy lunch?
2. Will you watch my doggie?
3. If I don't pick up the underwear, you'll take care of that, right?
-
And my favorite, "If I say, You didn't tell me that!" you, the agent, will appoligize and accept all the blame and not refer to the piles and piles of reference material I ignored."

This is a highly stressful, invasive, unpredictable and often chaotic process with seven disparate parties involved, each with veto power. Who one wants in the Captains chair, is critical to the outcome and the process. Communication will be the most valued attribute. Real time, not text time, not email time, but ACTUAL voice communications is the best assurance everyone is still on the same plan, headed for the same destination, at the same speed, in possession of all that will be needed when they arrive.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, Fl
727.420.4041
Http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
"if you are serious, it is worth picking up the phone."
Cindy Caskey, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Mon Apr 1, 2013
I think it is important that you LIKE your Realtor. You will have to have many discussions with him or her and will be spending time on very important decisions so having a good connection works well in your favor to come to a good, fair and win/win outcome.

If you are selling, find a Realtor who can sell a house in a short period of time. If they do it on line, at open houses, marketing to other Realtors....no matter how they do it, just so they do. They should have proof of past listings sold. If you are buying you need a Realtor who is tenacious, jumps hoops and knows the area.

Full time and experienced.