What are some effective ways to increase the value of your home before selling?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 2, 2012

Answers

7
Peter Mohyls…, Agent, Destin, FL
Mon Sep 24, 2012
Are we missing the question here? We seem to have moved from increasing the value to improving the curb appeal. Two different topics. I am guilty of jumping on the wrong path. Value is hard to improve short term. You won't, in almost ever case, get your money back for most every situation.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Mon Sep 24, 2012
There is one thing that you should do before investing any money:
Make sure that it's a good idea;
Have a Realtor do a CMA on the House and look at the Value of the other homes in the neighborhood.
If your house is on the bottom end, Okay.
But if your house is near the top, Value-wise, then you may not see any increase in Value by adding more features/updating to the house.
Nicole Marks…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Here is a list of things to do to your home before you want to put it on the market:

1) Make your curb appeal more appealing. Pull weeds, re-mulch, trim bushes and trees so that don't hide or cover your home, fertilize if your grass is dull, plant some bright flowers to make your landscaping pop.
2) Powerwash and paint the outside of your home and powerwash your patio and pavered driveway if necessary.
3) Remove wallpaper and paint on the inside. Neutralize your color scheme throughout your home.
4) De-clutter as much as possible. Pack away your personal belongings and collections in boxes and put them in a storage unit or your garage.
5) Repair what is broken.
6) Have carpets cleaned or if they are bad shape replace them with an inexpensive floor.

First impressions are very important so do what you can to make your home attractive to buyers.
Web Reference:  http://www.BuySellBoca.com
Maria C Esqu…, Agent, Pompano Beach, FL
Mon Sep 24, 2012
I totally agree with you Ron. There are many ways to increase the value of the property, but does it make sense? Will I get my money back + something else?
Barbara Gran…, Agent, Anaheim, CA
Mon Sep 24, 2012
Yes, Nicole's list is a good one. The only thing I might add would be to have a pre-listing inspection of the home to make sure everything is in good working order so there are no surprises that might come up later and warrant a reduction in the sales price.
Maria C Esqu…, Agent, Pompano Beach, FL
Mon Sep 24, 2012
and something else, THE HOUSE HAS TO SMELL GOOD.
Peter Mohyls…, Agent, Destin, FL
Sun Sep 23, 2012
Nicole is right on with her comments.