What are some effective ways to increase the value of your home before selling?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 2, 2012

Answers

5
Pam Meadows, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Curb appeal is important. Pull the weeds, plant some flowers, keep bushes trimmed, paint the front door if needed, etc. First impressions are important and if your home looks nice outside, you'll have more showings and more showings can mean selling at a higher price. Good luck!
Mike Malina, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Just need to make sure that the home looks crisp and clean in photos for your online and brochure presentations. It does not need to be perfect but bright and lively.

Once visitors come to see the home, the first couple of weeks is when the best offers generally arrive. This is when clean and clutter free. I get amused when I go into folks homes and I see garbage cans, fly swatters, dirty dishes, and clothes on the floor. I always think...hmmm do they really want to sell...
Deanna Moran,…, Agent, Carolina Beach, NC
Mon Mar 5, 2012
Besides the curb appeal and neutralizing of the property, you definitely want to know what price the home is going to sell for. You will decrease the value of the home if you want too much for it than what it's worth because it will sit on the market for a longer period of time. Once it sits for a long time, buyer's will come in and low ball you thinking that you will accept the offer because of the length of time on the market therefore lowering its value.
Web Reference:  http://www.deannamoran.com
Jessica Schr…, , Wilmington, NC
Sat Mar 3, 2012
Your neighborhood and the comps are going to dictate most of what your asking price will be, however, you can do many things to make sure that your home is at the top of the curve.

*Make sure that your home looks wonderful and welcoming on the outside. Sellers often forget about the 'curb appeal'. This is going to be the buyers first impression and, as you know, first impressions are lasting.
*De-clutter, de-personalize and organize. Walk into your home as if you are a buyer. Are things in place and put away? Rule of thumb is that less is better. Bring some friends and neighbors by that you know will give you an honest opinion and ask them!
*Neutralize. If you have hardwoods, don't cover them up! Too many area rugs can scare buyers that there are problems underneath.
*Bring in fresh flowers and make sure that your home smells good for visitors
*Have a fabulous realtor in your corner that will market your home effectively by writing a catching description, taking great pictures and again, being honest on what could be done to make your home look it's best.

Let me know if and when you decide to sell. I would be happy to share with you what my company and I will do once we list your home to get it sold!

Jessica Schreiber
Century 21 Sweyer & Associates
910.777.1425
jessica@makewilmingtonhome.com
Tammy Sanders, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Call me and I would be glad to give you a no obligation, no pressure run down. There are some very inexpensive things you can do that make a powerful impact. I'm free now! 910-793-2776
Tammy Sanders