We will be putting our home on the market within the next 30 days. We live in a gated lake community in a 3 story (full basement) 3028 sq. ft. home.

Asked by Rochelle Sweat, Peoria, AZ Thu Apr 18, 2013

We have remodeled the kitchen & bath rooms. There are 5 bedrooms & 3.5 bathrooms. all new flooring, newly painted. the comps in the area aren't even close to what we would like to put it up for. should we get an appraisal or will it make that much difference? Comps say nothing about this home in which case we do not want to overcharge someone however we don't want to go too low either. There are only a handful of homes in this zip (area) that have full basements. Ours is similar to an 1100 sq. ft. apt. thanks

Answers

16
vicky Raney, Agent, Peoria, AZ
Tue May 14, 2013

I just wanted to touch base with you to find out how the selling of your home is going? Hope all is going well!

Thank you!
Century 21 Northwest
Vicky Raney-Sweeney
520-483-2533 (Pinal county cell)
480-586-1721 (Maricopa county cell)
Office: 6630 W. Cactus Rd. Suite B-113
Glendale, AZ 85304
Rebecca Kall…, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Hey Rochelle!

I'd love to meet with you and give you a proper estimation for the value of your home. An appraisal, right now, would probably not help in the way that you want it to.

Most of the time the homes that I list, if priced correctly, sell within 3% of the original asking price!

The price that we would list your home for should be a price that you are comfortable with and a price that is in accommodation the market conditions.

My goal is to always get you the most money in the sale of your home!

Please feel to contact me at a convenient time for you and we can discuss a time to evaluate the value of your home and get it listed for you!

480-275-9566

PS. NOBODY SELLS MORE REAL ESTATE THAN RE/MAX!!!
Lucinda Tkach, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Apr 20, 2013
Rochelle,

Sounds like a nice home. Let me know if you have any questions or need assistance. I have a buyer looking in the area too.

I could provide a complete property analysis upon request.

Lucinda Tkach
602-799-6846
phoenixrealtorservice@gmail.com
Grace Adewumi, Agent, SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Fri Apr 19, 2013
Hi Rochelle,
I would like to first Congratulate you on your decision to want to put your home on the market. Inventories of homes for sale are low in the entire Maricopa County. Buyers are in the market looking for homes like yours. An updated beautiful 5bed/3.5bath with 3028sqft home like yours definitely deserve the right market value. Don't undersold your property. Call or e mail me today and I will prepare you a free, no obligation market value of your home.
Grace Adewumi
Realty One Group
602-769-0890
gracea@realtyoneaz.com
http://www.house2buyorsell.com
Michelle Spa…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Hi Rochelle,

Comps are tricky in many areas of Peoria where like for like homes have not sold in the last 12 months since we've experienced the large upward swing. Keep in mind one thing you really have going for you as a seller- inventory is extremely low and it is an extreme sellers market, with properties that have been remodeled and show well being the cream of the crop.

If you are working with an agent, ask them to also pull active listings in your subdivision and see how other homes are faring. How are they priced compared to what you would like to put it up for? Are they sitting there with little to no showings? How do they compare to the homes that have recently closed for days on market? Rather than looking at exact comps, look at nearby properties with similar upgrades and see what they are selling for in terms of price per square foot.

And here is the bottom line. It's difficult to "overcharge" someone unless they are paying cash with no appraisal. If you're bottom line is too "pie in the sky" the market will quickly tell you that. Either by no activity or offers, or by an appraisal coming in low, in which case the buyer probably want to renegotiate price. However, while the market is exciting right now, and it's a great time to be a seller, it's also important to be realistic. If your bottom line isn't within a range that an agent can give you, then perhaps you need to wait until prices recover a bit more. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with pitching a little high to test the market and then lower accordingly. Much of it depends on your personal reasons for selling and how much you need or want to sell.

On a closing note, remodeled kitchen and basement models are hot selling items and are getting top dollar assuming they have been done well. I wouldn't be too scared off by a lack of recent comps for your model. Assuming your starting price is within range, get it listed and the market and negotiations will take care of the rest.

Good luck and we are happy to help, Peoria is our home and we love it and know it well!

Michelle Spalding
Realty ONE Group
(602) 740-3869
Jennie Miller…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
I would be happy to send you a cost market analysis on your home and that will help in determining the best price to list your home at.
Derek Ostrov…, Agent, Sun City, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Rochelle,

You mentioned Peoria and basement :) you are likely in 85383 area code. I agree that pricing your home will not be an easy task however, it will be crucial. It is a great time to list as we have a shortage of homes on the market on one hand and on the other, we have very good rates on home loans. Underpricing may result in quicker sale but it will short change you. Overpricing may result in no offers in the first 2-4 weeks which is the most valuable time as far as selling is concerned and risk the fact that it may not apprise for the sale price. One must be very careful when using comps from outside your community but it will likely be necessary in your case.

I do offer my assistance is pricing and selling your home.

Derek Ostrovski
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
602-309-2344
Sherry Wong, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
If there are not enough comps in the area, we have to expand the area to pull comps outside of your subdivision. There are different ways to account for the value of the remodel. Was it remodeled just recently or was it completed a year ago or longer? I would not recommend to have an appraisal done prior to selling. It may give you a peace of mind on the price but it will not make a difference because the buyer, if financing, will have to get an appraisal. The appraisal is an opinion of value by that appraiser. Even if you have 3 appraisal done on the same property at the same time, you will get 3 different value. I hope this will help.

Sherry Wong
Jana Haren, Agent, Goodyear, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Hello Rochelle!

Right now is a fantastic time to put your home on the market. You'll want an experienced real estate agent on your side who can help you price your home appropriately. This is where I can help you.

If you would like a Broker Price Opinion, please call me at (602) 882-JANA (5262) or check my website to schedule a mutually convenient time for us to meet and view your property.
Jeffrey Masi…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Rochelle Sweat

Dear Rochelle:

Your Realtor will complete a comparable market analysis which should be very accurate when you list your home. If you wish to get an appraisal that will cost you additional dollars. However, if you wish to have a second opinion from an appraiser because your home is so unique you may want to go this route.

Let me know if you have any questions. Would be pleased to help you.

Jeffrey Masich, Realtor, GRI, MBA
HomeSmart
Arizona homes and land for purchase or sale
http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
JeffMasich@ArizonaHomesLand.com
480-556-0940
CAgent007, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
In today’s market you do not have to list at appraised value. It does help but as you mentioned if it far exceeds anything in that area, no homes compare, and has unique features then you are allowed to look at other similar properties/locations for a more accurate value. It always helps to get an appraisal done but appraisers do not know what is happening in our market and do not take into consideration emotions and uniqueness on properties.

I would love to take a look at the property or feel free to fill out this form - http://www.tempehomescondos.com/1499687.html . Send pics to my email below and a list of features. I will give you my estimate on list price Vs. Sale Price. In today’s market it’s ok to list high!

Juan Pesqueira
American Associates Real Estate
Homes | Condos | Investments
Spanish and English speaking Realtor
Realtor, Appraiser
8930 E. Raintree Drive Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Office 480-458-8007 | Fax 480.767.7200

Websites:LAVISH PAD BOUTIQUE | http://AZLuxuryHomeBlog.Com

It’s Not a Privilege, It’s a Necessity!
Web Reference:  http://AZLuxuryHomeBlog.Com
James Riley &…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Hi Rochelle,

We have a listing in Desert Harbor pending at $149,000 which doesn't have much for upgrades. It all depends on whether you back up to a main street or not, lot size etc so you need an agent that is familiar with your area to provide you with an accurate list price..

It ultimately depends on the appraisal but you can provide a list of upgrades to the appraiser which he may or may not tatke into consideration..

Property Solutions Real Estate is a little brokerage with big ideas and growing very fast.. Please call us a t 602-290-0806 or 602-390-3670.. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain..

Thank you for your time
Donald Keys, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Although an appraisal will help in pricing your home, it is only an "Opinion of Value" and is not a 100% guarantee of what a Buyer is willing to pay for your home. I just had a Buyer cancel on a "Former Model Home" with $110,000+ in upgrades because the appraisal came in $22,000 lower than the agreed upon purchase price. We had the appraiser reconsider the value and submitted the upgrades and he gave ZERO value to them.

"A home is worth what a Buyer is willing to pay and what a Seller is willing to accept in today's market".

A more important number to look at when selling your home is your Home Market Score(â„¢). This score tells you how you would perform in today's market. If you would like to know what your home is worth, that is an easy number to find out. If you would find out your Home's Exclusive Market Score (â„¢) based on 25 different factors you can contact me at (602) 750-1744 or the web reference below:
Web Reference:  http://www.DonaldKeys.com
Paulette & D…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Hi Rochelle,

An appraisal may help you however, the market will ultimately drive the purchase price, unless there is a buyer that wants everything your home provides and they are willing and able to pay the price. When I list a home for sale, I provide the current facts of the community and provide you a recommended list price. Ultimately, it is your decision and I'm okay with listing the home where the seller wants to start. Please give me a call and I would be happy to provide you a listing presentation. My phone number is 602-989-8990 and my email is PauletteDavis@cox.net.

Paulette Davis
Realty ONE Group
Mark Parris, Agent, Peoria, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
A full blown appraisal will absolutely give you the best range to price your house. The next best option is to have a professional Realtor come over, see the house and give their professional opinion of value. I would be more than happy to do that for you. You can reach me on my cell phone at 602-672-7527 if you would like a market analysis at no charge to you. Thanks-Mark
Deborah Powe…, Agent, Peoria, AZ
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Sounds like you have made valuable upgrades to your home! I would like to pull comparable's on your property. Please email me at deb@affinityrealestate.net or feel free to contact me at 480-297-6959. I look forward to speaking with you. http://www.AffinityRealEstate.net