We suspect that some realtors in the area are purposely guiding buyers away from other realtors' listings and focusing on their own. Is this?

Asked by Tyomad, 46580 Thu Oct 20, 2011

ethical?

Answers

6
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Thu Oct 20, 2011
I've seen the same thing in my state. I have a buyer ready to make an offer and you can't even get the agent to provide the information for the listing. "Too much trouble for me," the agent said.

An ethical agent does his/her best to move the property as quickly as possible. A bank was selling the property. The agent may feel justified. But it makes a bad impression on the buyer. And, of course, without the requested information, the buyer goes onto the next property.
Oscar Rigamo…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Thu Oct 20, 2011
I believe it all boils down to the ethics one practices! I myself will work hard to please my client. Giving him/her all the avenues in order to make our relationship a productive one!
Tyomad, Home Seller, 46580
Thu Oct 20, 2011
Oh, believe me, it DOES happen. If a realtor shows a home they have listed, and avoided showing houses listed by other realtors that may also fit the requirements, they are likely trying to keep the whole commision for themselves. So I believe the motivation is there. My question is, based on the code of ethics for the designation of "realtor", is that ethical?

In our area, one realtor, whose buyer wanted a second showing/utility costs (evidence of interest), called my realtor and chewed her out over the price, even though it was right-priced with the market (was lower in price several years ago). So not sure they were working together. If the buyer wants the house, it is priced right for the market (less however much they negotiate down), is it the realtors helping each other out when one realtor pulls a punk card, acts like a jerk, and blows the whole deal? The buyer loved the house.
Sharon Lewis, Agent, Cary, NC
Thu Oct 20, 2011
I really doubt whether anyone would be doing that. As someone who works with a LOT of buyers, my only desire for my buyers is to find the right house for them to live in. There is no reason for a realtor or a real estate agent to not show a house.
We may not show a 'for sale by owner' because its difficult getting their timing to match our clients needs and we generally don't know they exist unless we drive by.
Maybe your home doesnt fit the criteria, are you overpriced? Does the exterior and interior match the other homes for sale in the neighborhood, are you difficult to book an appointment to see? Is there a big power line behind your house or other easements? Are you in a flood plain? Could be a number of reasons you are not getting showings.
Ask your agent why you aren't getting the showings
James Gordon, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Thu Oct 20, 2011
Realtors should always show properties that fall into their buyer’s needs, and requirements.
Also Realtors help each other (just went to two Realtor Broker Preview meetings this morning) to sell each other’s listing and match their Buyers’ needs with the Listing Agents / Seller’s needs, if they fit, and priced right.

Jim Gordon
JBMMA@AOL.com
FSBOsuccess, Home Seller, 28590
Thu Oct 20, 2011
Why would they do it? They get both sides of the deal. Don't 'cha love it!