We recently put our home on the market. How often will we hear from our agent? We got a website hit report over a week ago, but haven't heard

Asked by K.P, Puyallup, WA Sun Jul 10, 2011

from her House has been on the market for 3 weeks.

Answers

7
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Jul 10, 2011
That's something you and your agent should have dicussed already.

There's no absolute answer to this. Certainly once a week, just for a status update. Perhaps twice a week.

Early on, you should be getting more frequent reports, since the first few weeks are going to be critical in generating interest and activity. You should be getting feedback from showings, from broker opens, from regular open houses (if you've had any), from your agent's marketing efforts, and more.

A website hit report is meaningless. Even for web-based businesses, such reports are notoriously unreliable. Besides, whose website is this? Your listing should be on many, many sites--from your local MLS to Realtor.com to Trulia and so on.

Call your agent up today and request twice-weekly reports.

Also, your agent should have presented you with a marketing plan. Make sure that your regular reports go through the list of the different marketing efforts (postcards, direct mail, newspapers, fliers, signage, open houses, etc.) to confirm that the promised activity is actually being done.

Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sun Jul 10, 2011
K.P.
That really depends on you and your agent. Some agents will report, "nothing to report" and check in every other day. This can get annoying. Others may dissappear and only show up when they want a price drop or have an offer. Personally, I like to give news as it arrives, update my clients with new competition as it comes on the market and pass along useful feedback when I rececive it after a showing.
Talk to your agent and find out how often they expect to be in contact and discuss what your expectations are so you can arrive at the right balance.
K.P, Both Buyer And Seller, Puyallup, WA
Sun Jul 10, 2011
Thank you for your help. Our agent did have a marketing plan of the MLS listing. Since we are rural she said she wont do an open house as agents and buyers typically won't come to them. She did say there would be postcards, but we haven't see them.
I did email her today and I hope to get a response on Monday
Aaron Gerry, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Sun Jul 10, 2011
I generally give some sort of update once a week. I try to get written feedback from every agent that shows my clients home. I also do an open house 2 times while fresh on the market and have every visitor give written feedback regarding price, condition and location. You should be comfortable enough with your listing agent to call and ask what they have been doing to sell your home. If the home loses its energy in the market and there are no plans to rejuvenate its energy then it may be your agent is losing optimism of a sale and putting efforts elsewhere. A homeowner should feel like the agent is going above and beyond to get your house sold. That is how we get paid.
Katy Crofts, Agent, Olympia, WA
Sun Jul 10, 2011
Dear K.P.,
As others had previously indicated, how your agent will communicate with you on activity should have been discussed at the beginning of the listing. I let my clients know that typically, I'll send a weekly report on my marketing activities as well as showings, feedback, etc. Granted this activity may slow down after the first 2-3 weeks, but there should be something to report. You two may agree on how you communicate or if you would like more often or less often. I believe it's the agent's responsibility to bring this up and make sure the Seller is comfortable and accepting of that communication. If my client felt like they were not getting enough information, I would hope they would pick up the phone and call me.
Web Reference:  http://www.KatyCrofts.com
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Sun Jul 10, 2011
Everyone is saying exactly what most good agents are thinking. I email or call my clients as soon as I get feedback from a showing, so sometimes I do not call for a week, but at the beginning, I may contact them more then once a day. This initial feedback is critical to determining our price is & about changes in presentation if possible. Talk to your agent. If you do not get what you want, call one of us. You should not even have to ask for anything from them. It should come as part of their marketing plan.
HLR, , Oregon
Sun Jul 10, 2011
As Stated by Mr. Tepper, the agent you hired should explained their process, and then you keep their feet to the fire. Many listing agents, sorry to say, use the MLS as their only way to sell. List the property and never do another thing until there is an offer. So it's up to you to get them to do what they should be earning, and if not, cancel the listing and hire someone else. It's that simple.

Best to you, make them earn that commission for all of us in the industry, trying to earn a living in these hard time, that have to fight around the ones just going thru the motions, and making us all look bad.

HLR