We're getting ready to sell our house and wanted to know if replacing the carpet and vinyl flooring in the house first is a good idea?

Asked by alibob17, Woodland, WA Tue Jul 3, 2012

The house is on a corner of a busy street with a low income housing unit next to it. The flooring is about 20 years old with holes in the vinyl, burn marks in some of the carpet and cleans up to low to moderate condition. We have a small amount of equity in it, but don't expect to get much out of it as it is. Do we let that be someone else's problem or will it hinder selling it?

Answers

9
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
alibob,
If you elect to replace the flooring you'll have two benefits, selling for more and selling faster. You don't need top of the line materials to accomplish this, basic and contemporary colors/patterns will do. Leaving a home in a questionable location in the shape you describe will only generate low, investor options at best. Since you can't do anything about the location, you should do what you can about the condition, within reason. Clean, fresh and new where possible will result in the best outcome.
Deanna Melton, Agent, Battle Ground, WA
Thu Oct 17, 2013
My experience is better to replace the carpet prior to listing it with a very budget friendly neutral carpet. Sounds like the house has other obstacles to overcome and the carpet may be a deal breaker for a potential buyer. Good luck!
Kevin and Ju…, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Wed May 15, 2013
Buyers tend to find well maintained, "fresh and clean" homes more desirable - you will have to weigh the benefits to each... Good luck!
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
I agree, it there are holes & stains that will not come out, you should replace it. Get with your broker to get a more specific recommendation as it is hard to do so without seeing the property.
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Tue Jul 3, 2012
If really bad, replacing with however inexpensive to make it nice and clean and bright, is better than
dirty carpeting and vinyl tiles with holes.....

It is always better clean and neat than dirty and worn out.....It turns buyers away.

But do not replace it with top of the line carpeting since you do not seem to have a lot of equity in
it anyway....

hope this helps...
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Laura Birtar , Agent, Vancouver, WA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
It all depends who is your buyer. If is an investor/cash buyer or someone with a large down payment, you can sell it as is condition. If your buyer is an FHA /first time buyer, VA or other gov. subsidized programs, their bank will require your house to pass an inspection in order for the buyer to get a loan. There might be issues with the condition, depending on the findings.
Ron Fowler, , Vancouver, WA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
I would recommend replacing it if it is in really bad condition. Replacing carpet with something like a wood laminate is not expensive and can definitely help the price of the home. Another option would be to give a concession to the buyer for the amount it would cost to do the floors themselves, therefore allowing them to replace the flooring with what they want. Good luck in your sale and if you have questions, please don't hesitate to call me. I am in the Vancouver area.
Janet Bleth, Agent, Vancouver, WA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
If you are in a position to replace the floor coverings then I would suggest doing it since it could effect the market time and would help you get top $ for your property. Often sellers are surprised to find out that replacing the floor covering is not as expensive as they thought it would be. By the way, I live in Ridgefield :)
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Tue Jul 3, 2012
Based on what you are saying I would replace it. Buyers look at stuff like that and make a mental note that it needs to be replaced and they will estimate in their head a cost. Normally you can replace it for half of what a buyer estimates it will cost and they will base the offered price on their over estimated figure. Be careful and be sure to pick a nice carpet with a nice color - not red shag or putting green outdoor carpet. It is often better to remove objections before buyers see them.
Sounds like I would replace it as well. Have you met with an agent to discuss a price point for your home. You never know, you may have a whole lot more equity in your home than you believe. Get a good idea from a trusted agent in your area and then your decision to replace the carpet and vinyl will be a lot easier. Disclaimer: In general I agree w/ everyone else. Newer feeling, well maintained homes always sell faster and for more. Hope this helps
Flag Wed Feb 26, 2014