We need to sell our house in 4 months, we listed Flat Fee and have had very few showings....

Asked by Katie, Madison, WI Mon Jun 17, 2013

Is the market slowing down? Or do Madison area realtors avoid these listings? My husband firmly believes that if we offer 3% to the sellers agent we should get every possible buyer. We're well priced and staged, so it should sell once we get people in the door. Any advice?

Answers

6
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Jul 11, 2013
Well, you've blown one of those months, without anything to show for it.
I also believe that you are NOT well priced, or you would have multiple offers.
No, the Market is not slowing down, just at your address.
Eric Reusch, Agent, Fitchburg, WI
Thu Jul 11, 2013
I assume you've already had all the neighbors over for a "House Selling" party where you gave them flyers to share. Posted a YouTube video tour or two. Running ads on Craigslist, backpages facebook, twitter and every other site you can find and refreshing them daily, sent links to your videos to every email address you can find, and reduced your price every week until it sells. Or consult your agent for more ideas on getting the right niche market to see the opportunity you are offering. Have you thought about a billboard or maybe spotlights or a dirigble or bus signs? there are unlimited opportunities to market a home - maybe radio or tv? Good Luck
Lori Morriss…, Agent, Waunakee, WI
Thu Jul 11, 2013
Hi Katie, the market is doing very well at the moment so that's not a factor. From my experience, realtors will show any homes as long as there is a reasonable commission (2.5%-3%). I've never decided to not show a client a home because of who was selling it.
Some suggestions would be to take better pictures (if it doesn't look great in the photo, rarely will my buyer want me to set up a showing). You could also drop the price slightly ($2K) to get it some attention on the MLS. Each time the price changes, new email alerts go out to those buyers who are looking in your neighborhood and price range (if their agent has set up the email notifications). Additional marketing could help too. Email blasts to friends and co-workers, asking friends to share your Facebook posting and a nice sign to hang on your company break room bulletin should also help find you a buyer. Good luck!
Eric Reusch, Agent, Fitchburg, WI
Mon Jun 17, 2013
You control Price, Terms, and Condition You don't control Location or the Market. So if you are priced competitively and show better than the competition you should sell unless you have too many roadblocks to working with you. Every house will sell eventually as the Market corrects any problems w/ selling. Best of luck to you.
Wayne Stockw…, Agent, Black River Falls, WI
Mon Jun 17, 2013
Sometimes when you think you have everyone working for you actually you have no one working for you. Pick an agent so someone is accountable. If your husband would like to talk to someone who has no dog in the hunt I would be glad to talk to him. 608-343-2729. Good Luck!
Dave Mies, Agent, Middleton, WI
Mon Jun 17, 2013
Katie,
I can only offer that full service Realtors at times can create more exposure due to the time we spend
marketing outside of just the MLS listing and through the connections we have made in the industry.
There is nothing wrong with Flat Fee but our marketing efforts can be the difference, it is a value equation for you, spend more to get more and possibly the time saved has additional value to you.
Typically the shorter the listed home is on the market the greater the net return to the seller.
I do hope all goes well for you, ask your broker what else they can do to help you get showings.
Also consider some guerilla marketing in your neighborhood and sphere of influence. I've seen some beautiful marketing pieces created by home sellers and now you can broadcast email them to your network . Again, good luck.
Dave Mies