We just sold our house and now I discover that I didn't get any money back for termite inspection. I paid the renewal that was due 8/1/09 ( they

Asked by Pleasehelp, 22046 Wed Sep 9, 2009

came out and inspected) and then they charged an additional fee to do a wood infestation report 2 weeks later and sent someone else out! I thought that I already paid them to inspect the 1st time! What can I do? The termite company says talk to the realtor and vise-versa.

Answers

2
Lori Jeltema, Agent, Suffolk, VA
Wed Sep 9, 2009
The report is different than the inspection and charged differently. The initial inspection with your renewal may have been on your behalf and the reinspect may have been done on the buyer's behalf per the contract. the company is correct, check with the agents involved and the contract requirements.
Saab Realtors, , Vienna, VA
Wed Sep 9, 2009
Normally termite inspection is paid by the purchaser.
Check the reports from both the inspections.
Sometimes termite inspection is done by a home inspector who can only inspect for possible problems.
They may have sugested to the agent that there is a possible serious problem and that they are not expert at it.
Are the inspections ordered by buyer agent or listing agent?
Were the two agents in communication?
Did the listing agent made you aware of ur obligations?

I guess the starting points are examination of the clause in the contract, the reports and communication with the listing agent.
Good Luck.
Ramesh Chandra
703 635 8209