Home Selling in Northglenn>Question Details

Katherine, Home Seller in Northglenn, CO

We just found out we are relocating for my husband's job so we need to sell our home quickly but we owe about

Asked by Katherine, Northglenn, CO Mon Jun 30, 2008

what the home is worth, so we don't think it will sell if it is priced to cover realtor commissions. We can take a hit, but we want to minimize the damage to our already tight financial situation. What are our options?

Answers

10
Katherine
You should know that your situation is not unusual. You have some excellent posts in response
1. Does your husband's new company have a relocation dept? Part of the negotiation of a new employee's compensation usually involves relocating the employee to their new job site. Even if the company does not have a formal policy, after analyzing your situation your husband should let them know how much this move is going to cost his family.
2. I suggest interviewing two or three Realtors and discussing your options. Ask them for an Estimate of Seller's Net Proceeds. in some companies, if they have a relocation department, they actually advise you to use a Realtor and may even assist with moving expenses.
3. Once you know the potential loss I would opt for discussing the tax consequences with a CPA. In cases like yours the answers may not be crystal clear. My wife and I went through a situation like this. We had purchased a home, the market shifted, and after examining our options decided to keep it as a rental. We became accidental real estate investors, and initally it was very stressful. In the long term (18 years) it was a great investment.

The most important thing is to gather all the facts, which should include discussing long term and short term effects on your family's finances. Most employers want to help their employees feel a part of the team, so I would urge your husband to see what they might be able to do to help him.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hi Katherine,

I have recently seen a couple of situations where employers share the burden when they relocate employees in order to expedite the home sale. Depending on your husband's situation, he may want to discuss the situation and find out if the employer is willing to cover or split any costs related to the sale of your home that exceed the sales price. It may or may not be appropriate in your situation; however, I thought I'd throw it out there because it surprised me when it was done in two recent transactions.
Hello Katherine,
One option you may have would be to try leasing out your property. If you would like to discuss possible management of your home please let me know. We have competitive management rates. I hope to hear from you soon!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 30, 2008
Locate a listing agent that is a flat fee agent that could only take less than $1000 to list your home, however the buyers agent would still need to be paid 3% for bring a buyer. This could save you $1000's you have it listed in MLS JUST AS LONG as your state allows this to be offered we have it here in Texas. http://www.lynn911.com and the sellers are still legally represented and etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 30, 2008
You can use a discount broker however they do not market your home to its fullest potential in my opinion. This could leave your home on the market longer than you like.
I dont reccomend FSBO especially if you are in a time crunch, perhaps it would be a good ideah for you to interview a few agents, explain your situation in greater detail with them and allow them the opportunity to come up with a plan.
Look for an agent that intends on counseling you on your home, they may be more helpfull than you think, and who knows your home may be worth more than your thought...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 30, 2008
Thank you to everyone who is answering my question. Here is some more information. My husband is taking a new job at a VA Hospital (he's a clinical psychologist) --it's not a transfer. They have told him that relocation assistance is not included with the position, but it may be negotiable. We understand that we owe what we owe on the house and do not have any desire to hurt our credit or "cheat the system." Leasing the house is a possible option, but I have a lot of concerns about it. I've talked with a broker who is able to set up a "short sale" WITH a low-interest loan for the difference (we will not ask the bank to assume the difference). I'm not sure we can afford this, but if we could, how does this type of short sale affect our ability to get a loan on another home in our new location?

We prefer to sell the home conventionally and we have a child who will be starting school in early August, so we would LOVE to close by the end of July. If anyone out there has a qualified buyer who might be interested, here are the basic stats: It's a split-level built in 1965 with 1868 sq feet, 3-4 bedrooms, 1 full bath, a 3/4 bath and a powder room, eat in kitchen, LR, DR w/ french doors, and office/playroom. Wood floors, tile floors in entry and in the eat-in kitchen. The lot is appx 8000 sq ft. The asking price is $205,000, assuming there will be negotiations. In Oct 2007, the home appraised for $210,000. Northglenn is a nice, well-established community, and has the benefit of being one of the closer commutes to Denver, but also with quiet suburban streets. We are in Adams 12 school district. I'll be glad to provide more information if desired. Thank you for all your objective advice and best wishes.....this is a great resource!
Hi Katherine,
Why don't you call a couple of agents and ask for a market analysis on your home. If you can manage to break even after your costs, consider it a good thing and don't forget you lived in the house, so you did get value out of it. Things aren't selling instantly, but there are more people out there looking this month than earlier in the spring.
Even though I am a Realtor, I got caught in the same situation when we left the Sacramento California area a while ago. Three military bases closed at once (virtually) and we had to leave for Colorado. We received a whopping $58 at closing. It didn't help us buy a house here, but at least we lived in for a while.
Talk to a few agents and get a better idea of the market value, then make a more informed decision.
Good luck to you!
Valerie Kleinman
RE/MAX Infinity
Centennial, Colorado
Katherine, the answers you received have pretty much covered your options.

However, if by chance your house falls into the following requirements, let me know because I have a pre apporved buyer looking to close in July.

The house has to be at least 1600sqft with a basement. 3 to 4 bedroom, Have a 5pc bath, does not back to a busy street or powerlines, Priced no higher than $240,000, and rather new. about 3 or 4 years old. If it fits at least these characteristics, then it is worthwhile for us to talk further. Feel free to email me at my website or call. All contact information is on the site.

Wishing you the best,

Web Reference: http://www.homesellteam.com
Does his job offer relocation ?

It depends what your local market is like.

If it's a down market you may consider hiring
a property management company and renting it
out; many Realtors specialize in that service.

If it's a seller's market you can consider
selling it yourself if you have the time.

Best of Luck !
Web Reference: http://asknancyg.com/
Let me ask you a question. Do you have to sell your house to move? Sometimes looking at the opportunity of leasing your house will allow you to move and be able to buy a home where you settle. There are management firms in all communities that can help you take care of your property after you move. As the market improves, you can look at the opportunity of selling without possible losses. Good luck to you.