We have a 3 bd home in a 4 bd neighborhood. We tried to sell last fall, but had few showings.

Asked by Mary, 66047 Sun Feb 22, 2009

At the same time, the larger houses in our neighborhood sold. We are preparing to go back on the market with a lower price. What else can we do to increase the number of showings? How can we market to people who want only 3 bedrooms?

Answers

6
Todd’s answer
Todd, , Parkville, MO
Mon Mar 9, 2009
Is there any way to convert a room to a 4th? It is possible to list a 3 BR home as a 4 Bedroom... but ONLY IF you advertise that you are willing to convert it for the buyer (and it meets the guidelines for a bedroom). This will give 4 BR buyers visitility to your property and they may or may not ask for the conversion.
Web Reference:  http://www.parkville.info
Diana Hathaw…, , 98335
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Hello Mary,

Looks as though you've gotten some wonderful advice here already! I have a few thoughts about your questions. Of course, I'm sure that your Realtor has discussed pricing the home competitively, presenting it in excellent condition, and making sure it's got the best photographs and video tour possible; That's the minimum in a buyer's market.

I work with homeowners and Realtors to present homes in their best light, and increase buyer appeal. In my experience, the smaller houses in a neighborhood usually sell to down-sizers or small families who want to be in a neighborhood of larger homes, but don't want a large home for themselves. I have helped many clients maximize their smaller home, to appeal to a larger pool of buyers (all the while keeping in mind who will be looking for a home that size.) Appealing to the down-sizers and families on the way up is very similar. Your goal is to make your home seem larger by eliminating any extraneous furnishings or decor, as well as simplify your decor to make the home seem easy-care for a young family or retirees.

I'm sure that I can offer more suggestions and ideas if you'd like. Feel free to contact me directly, or respond here. I love what I do and am always happy to help out.

-Diana
Krisan Mitch…, Agent, Raymore, MO
Wed Mar 4, 2009
Remember, a lot of "wow" goes a long way. You obviously can't add a bedroom, so you have to help people think how easy it is to live in your house, how pleasant it feels inside and out. You do have an advantage over some of the houses in your area...affordability. Personally, I'd rather have one of the smaller homes in the area, instead of one of the largest homes.

Hope this helps!
Krisan Mitchell
Coldwell Banker All American
816-388-7555
Your Kansas City Real Estate Referrals are Appreciated!
Maria Morton, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Sat Feb 28, 2009
The average 3 bedroom home, in your zip code, sold for 149,600 during the last 6 months. That is a very general number. If you want to price your home to sell fast, you need to price it just under what the last home most comparable to yours sold for. You also need to make it appealing to buyers. Like Ron, I would stage your home to show. Also do as much as possible to increase the home's curb appeal. For marketing, ask your realtor to hold it open for Agents Tour; this will get your home the maximum exposure. If you are selling by owner, without a realtor, try advertising on every internet site, the newspaper, and word of mouth. Make flyers and distribute them to the 50 nearest houses to yours. Hold the house open every Sunday. There's a whole list of websites for FSBO's and tips on staging and other information on my website under For Sale By Owner about halfway down the homepage. Good luck in your venture!
Web Reference:  http://www.MariaTMorton.com
Joel, Home Buyer, 57748
Sat Feb 28, 2009
My wife and I are looking for a 3bd home - I know I am not a real estate agent but if it is ok with you I would like to look at the house for purchase we have been looking non stop for 2 months - if we dont want to buy then you could ask what deterred us from the sale afterward through email - if you are interested here is my email jomime@usa.com
Ron Henderson, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Sun Feb 22, 2009
Mary - I have to admit that this is a tough one. I currently have a few listings myself like this and I always tell the seller it's going to be challenging. I typically have the seller fix, replace or repair everything that could be an additional issue, then stage the home and bring in a professional photographer. Beyond that you just need to have a marketing plan that will cast the widest net to catch to most potential buyers. There are people out there that are only need 3 bedrooms and hopefully you have someone unique with your home that will attract their attention. Of course having a competitive price is very important too.

Ron Henderson
Kansas City