We are renovating our attic into a bedroom and 1/2 bath. Have applied for the plumbing and electrical permits, do we need a Certificate of Occupancy?

Asked by Joannefra, 07003 Fri Mar 30, 2012

We are in Bloomfield, NJ

Answers

5
Gerri levent…, Agent, Upper Monclair, NJ
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Be careful when renovating attics and basement. Especially if you are adding a bedroom.Usually appraisers do not consider rooms in the attic bedrooms for many reasons, so I would say to be financially cautious and make sure you can get your money back when it is time to sell. Anotherwords you usually can't add another bedroom to your appraisal, if the bedroom is in the attic or basement. In this current market I would get the home evaluated by a trusted realtor or a quick appraisal and make sure your renovations make good financial sense. I can't tell you how many times I walked into a home and the seller has put a huge amount of money into a renovation which adds little or no value. Sometimes it makes more sense to get another home, if you can't get your money back. I good rule of thumb is the 10% rule. If you buy a $500,000 home and it needs more than $50,000 in renovations , then you seek professional advice before continuing. Best of luck.
Web Reference:  http://FindNJHouse.Com
Mary Petti, Agent, Edison, NJ
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Joannefra

Nope, no CO but you will need to make sure your contractors (or you if you are doing the work) get the final (closed) permits for all work after the final inspection by the code officials is done.

Keep those final permits in a safe place (like a folder for home paperwork) so when you do do to sell the home, you have them ready to show your buyer.
Stephen Robe…, Other Pro, Martinsville, NJ
Sat Mar 31, 2012
No. Only when property is sold.
Yolanda Esco…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Fri Mar 30, 2012
Hi Joannefra,

Great question! You do not need the Certificate of Occupancy. If you want to sell your home then you will require to get a C of O.

Joannefra, for now you need to make sure that your plumber and electrician get the final inspection and close the permits of your attic renovation.

Kenneth Verb…, Agent, PRINCETON, NJ
Fri Mar 30, 2012
your permits may address this. If you are planning to make this living space you may have to put in second means of egress like large windows and fire escape.