We are planning to put our house in Moorhead on the market soon...would like to know if waiting until Spring is a good idea or jump in now?

Asked by Suzyq, Moorhead, MN Wed Feb 9, 2011

Answers

7
Janeen, Home Buyer, Moorhead, MN
Tue Feb 26, 2013
We are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath single story home NOW! We need a home by the end of April.
I work and live in Moorhead MN. Now is the best time to list. There will be quite a few listing there home in the next several months. The inventory is a bit low now so it would help you to jump ahead of the competition. Everyone is thinking the same thing around here and that is to wait until it is a bit warmer. I would be proactive and try to beat the rush... I can certainly let you know what your house is worth in todays market if you would like.

Troy 701 866 5607
Flag Tue Mar 18, 2014
Teri Eckholm, Agent, St Paul, MN
Thu Feb 24, 2011
Hi Suzyq!

I don't sell in Moorhead but I know the area well! Working as a REALTOR in Minnesota for several years I have watched the trends. It seems that more and more people are starting to look earlier. I tell my clients in the Mpls/St Paul north metro to start getting their house ready to list by the end of March or early April. While spring is the best time, you will have more homes to compete with at that time too. Buyers tend to start getting the "buying- bug" around the time that the Spring Parade of Homes starts in early March. While this event promotes new constructiion, existing homesellers do get a boost in showings during this time of year....especially when we get a nice stretch of warm weather.

If you need more ideas to get your home ready for sale, visit the link below to see a list of my top 10 tips for a fast sale.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Most families place home on market from April - August months focused on home sells.

However you can start stage the home, pack and etc. therefore when time is ready ... home is ready to go
Michael Emery, , Minneapolis, MN
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Start immediately to get your home ready for sale. While I am a 'few' miles from the Fargo/Moorhead market, locally we're seeing buyers returning to the market and activity picking up.

What we're also seeing is a lot of relists from last fall. So if you're house is new to the market, you will have a huge advantage over the retreads that are out there today. But make sure the house is 'move in ready' before listing, or you will just be another not so pretty face in the crowd.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Suzyq,
Have you found your listing agent yet? If so, what do they think? Like Sally, I'm not an expert in Moorhead MN, but a couple of factors to consider. As spring rolls on and more people decide to list their home, you'll have more competition than you might if you listed now.
Rates are starting to show signs of increasing. This will often cause an increase in buyers activities, wanting to get a good rate before they go up. If they do go up, it will reduce the number of people who can afford your home and may cause some downward pressure on pricing.
Discuss these considerations with your agent and together decide what sounds best for your situation.
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Hey, Suzyq! Well, I don't work the market in Moorhead, but over all, it's a much better market in the spring than any other time of year. There are many factors that go in to that decision making.

But, look, we're already in the middle of February. So, chances are, by the time you get a few projects done and make your property the best it can be for showing, it will be the perfect timing to hit the buyers just right!!!!

Web Reference:  http://www.homestosellmn.com
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Hopefully you'll get some good answers from agents in your area to give you an idea of market conditions there. But here in CO, we are seeing a lot of buying activity right now. I have a seller wanting to wait til March to list her home, and I'm telling her she needs to list NOW. There are buyers out there, and not a lot of inventory. Why wait til more sellers list their homes, and you have more competition? Good luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.sallygrenier.com