L. D., Both Buyer and Seller in 83714

Way to get second opinions on listing price?

Asked by L. D., 83714 Mon May 4, 2009

We are about to list our house and have a agent that we plan on working with. However, we were hoping to find a way to get a second option on our asking price. Are there agents that charge like a flat rate to review details/comp/etc. and give a second opinion. (after all this is our biggest asset!)

Answers

6
sharonyuz, Home Buyer, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tue Jul 30, 2013
Very good article. I would suggest everyone to get a second opinion just to be safe. I have used a second opinion service https://secondopinions.com a few times and will continue to do so. For the time and price its well worth it. Very professional and saved me a bunch of money.
Please watch this recently aired ABC News segment which addresses medical errors and emphasizes the importance of obtaining second opinions:
https://secondopinions.com/mediaroom/television-interviews.html
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Tue May 5, 2009
LD
I am puzzled. If you have enough trust in your Realtor to list your home, why are you unsure about the price?

In most cases it sounds like you want to list it for a higher price, is that your case? Remember that the List Price is a MARKETING TOOL. It is designed, along with the other marketing efforts, to attract buyers AND OFFERS. I would be very leary of a Realtor that would "tell you what you want to hear". We have a term for that and it's called "buying a listing".

If you really have a concern you might want to try this. I take my sellers to look at some other homes with which they will be competing. We compare these homes to the sellers and objectively decide what list price it will take to get the home sold. Ask your Realtor to show you your competition. The average buyer looks at 10-12 homes before they make an offer.

Brian Brump…, Agent, Boise, ID
Tue May 5, 2009
L.D.

I don't think you should pay someone to give you a second opinion. If you are already planning to work with a particular agent be up front about your intentions and ask them to take it back to other agents in their office to get their opinion of value.

If they are offended by your request it should raise a red flag about the agent. Just make sure to let them know you expect them to seek objective opinions and let them know you plan to work with them regardless but you want to be sure.

You're right it's your biggest asset and you should ask.
Web Reference:  http://www.brianbrumpton.com
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Mon May 4, 2009
THIS IS A GREAT QUESTION!!! I commend you. I see a lot of silly questions, and it is nice to see a good one.

You can interview another agent and get a free CMA. But, if you do that you always run the risk of another agent trying to "buy" your listing by giving you the false impression they can sell your property for more than the last agent told you.

If you are pretty sure that you will use the one agent you have a relationship with, that is a great loyalty.... you can your preferred agent to hold a brokers open BEFORE the listing goes public and get feedback on the price from other agents-in her office or others. Or, you can just ask her if there is another agent in her office that would give her a second opinion before it's listed.

I would just explain to her that you know pricing in this market is key, and difficult even for the best, most experienced agent, since the market is fluid... and you are highly motivated and want to sell quickly without leaving any money on the table. I think she'd respect that a great deal. I know I would.

Or, you can ask any agent to provide a CMA for a fee - completely negotiable. It;s totally your call... whatever makes you feel more comfortable.
Kristin Laur…, , Meridian, ID
Mon May 4, 2009
Its in your best opinion to get opinions from different agents, interview as many as you need to until you feel comfortable with an agent to work with..also look at the different ways they will market your home..I noticed from your zip code that you are in the Garden City/Boise area...make sure your agent markets your home to stand out from the competition. You also had another question about using an agent for new construction..you can use the same agent to sell your home and help you buy your new home.
And to note agents will do comps. of your area for suggested listing prices for free as part of their presentation to you (I do) so you shouldn't have to worrk about paying someone to give you a general overview of the market in your area. Good luck! If you'd like for me to do a second opinion, I would be more than happy to- Kristin Laurandeau-409-8892 or kristin@marketrealestate.net
Lori Jeltema, Agent, Newport News, VA
Mon May 4, 2009
You should be able to call a few more agents and have them come over for a free market anaysis - the fact that you want to double check and have a second opinion tells me that you should take the opportunity to talke with someone. Don't tell them what you think the house is worth or what the other agent said, just get their opinion. Be honest with them, if you have no intention of listing with anyone else, it would be appropriate to tell them. They may charge you a flat fee for the opinion, or just welcome the opportunity to have a chance at hyour business.