Nini, Home Buyer in Florida

Want your opinion on staging!

Asked by Nini, Florida Fri May 4, 2012

We are currently selling our home which we bought a year ago as a shortsale. We knew we weren't planing on stayin in FL long term so we decided not to buy new furniture. We have roughly 2900sqft home and everything is furnished besides the formal living room and dining room which are the combined into one room and its the room you see right when you walk in the door. We are having an open house tomorrow and I was wondering, would you furnish those room or leave it as is? I hear different things from people. Our home is very "neutral" in our colors and decoration so everyone can "see" themselves in our home. If you want to view pictures I can provide MLS#.

Answers

7
Hi Nini,

The popular belief is that a house that is empty is very difficult to sell. My recommendation would be to rent a table from the party store and put a very nice table cloth with your nice set of dishes and set up the table ready for your guess. Put a nice big flower base in the middle of the table and perhaps bring a few accessories from your other rooms.

I hope this tip helps and good luck with your Opn House tomorrow.

Marie Cruz,
Keller Williams Jacksonville Realty
Hope your open house went well, Nini! I see that most of the replies to your request regarding staging are very positive toward home staging, and I agree. That first moment when a potential buyer walks into your home will have an impact on his/her ultimate decision about whether YOUR home has the potential to become THEIR home. Staging doesn't need to be expensive or overdone; less is more. But if you are still living in your home, make sure that the staged areas blend well with other rooms in your home. The staging should make potential buyers feel welcome and should elicit a feeling of warmth and comfort - and try to make sure that the rest of your home does the same. Bring in something green - a couple of plants in attractive planters really add life to a space and they don't have to be expensive to make an impact. When marketing your home, try to see it from the perspective of the ultimate buyer. It's not going to be your house anymore, so take a hard look at anything that might turn someone off (even if its a flaw or a quirk that you've lived with for years!) and imagine how a stranger is going to feel as they walk through, trying to visualize themselves in the space. Hope everything goes well - and please let me know if we can be of assistance.
If the vacant room was a secondary bedroom back in a remote corner of the house I would say not to worry about staging it. However since it is the first thing buyers will see when entering the home I would suggest hiring a staging company that will provide and arrange the furnishings. While they are there they may offer some suggestions with regard to your existing furnishings and decor.
Since you only have one day, I'd say just see how the first open house goes.
Staging is a key to selling your home. It is the reason that builders furnish/stage models and inventory homes. It makes it easier for people to see themselves in the home and where to put their furniture. Believe it or not it also gives scale to your rooms and makes them feel larger (assuming you do not put to much in the room. Charlie makes a good point about the Vanilla, scent is also a part that many overlook. Here is an article about just that topic: http://www.voginteam.com/blogs/vogin_team/archive/2012/04/20…

Here are some other tips about getting your home ready to sell:
http://www.voginteam.com/Sellers_Resources/page_2509826.html

Howard Vogin
Hi Nini,
As noted staging is very important. You have to create the WOW factor from the moment the buyer walks in the front door. It should be part of your marketing. You should be able to rent some furniture and it should pay for itself. A tip is to smear some vanilla on the oven door and put it on low. It gives the impression of baking cookies.
Wishing you much success.
Charlie
See my comment on the first post. Hire a stager. Worth every penny!!