WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST REALTOR TO HELP ME SELL MY HOUSE AS SOON AS POSIBLE?

Asked by Juan, Chicago, IL Wed Sep 5, 2007

Answers

25
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Wed Sep 5, 2007
The best Realtor is one who has time, skill, knowledge, commitment and a willingness to work hard for you. Talent and knowledge without a willingness to work hard will not produce your best results. Gather referrals from friends and neighbors of prospective agents. Do not simply go w/ a Realtor based only on a referral. Find out what they are willing to do for you to sell your property now. Evaluate their marketing plans. Find out if their methods of communication and reporting are in synergy to your expectations. Online marketing supersedes print. Question extensively about any prospective agents capabilities and understanding of web marketing. The agent needs to be able intelligently discuss the comps in your neighborhood, and have strong negotiating skills to be your advocate.

Do not choose an agent based upon the price they recommend for your property. Choose your agent based on the value that agent will bring to the table.

In addition to choosing the best agent, you will also play a role in the successful marketing of your property. You need to make your property show ready, be ready to show on short notice, provide easy access to showing, and make every effort to step back and be objective about your property in comparison to the competition.

It is imperative that you price right. All of the marketing this side of the moon cannot sell an overpriced property.
J R, , New York, NY
Wed Sep 5, 2007
I don't know about listing with a realtor who has "lists" of buyers. I'm a great marketer, and that's what I focus on. I don't have lists of buyers. I do have lists of realtors who are effective at selling houses, who know me, know my listings, and know I make them as accessible as possible and price them right. List with a realtor who has a great marketing plan. By that I mean a marketing plan that will market the house to as many realtors as possible. In this market, the best realtors in essence 'subcontract' the listing to as many brokers as possible. If you sell the house to the realtors, they bring their customers.
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Wed Sep 5, 2007
I want to make it clear what Patrick, Jennifer, and Deborah mean by price the house correctly. They mean choose the Realtor who clearly explains her or his price estimate to you. The highest price is usually NOT the correct price. The highest price may be the one that will destroy your chance to sell quickly. The correct price is the one that gets it sold quicker so it is usually a price much lower than you wish it would be. But maybe not as low as an opportunity seeking investor wants.

My objection to Perry's suggestion about the 30 -40 investors. Investors always seek to buy properties cheaply. Most of the investors that I work with want discounts of 10%-20% or more from value.

While I reccommend pricing your property at the low end of market value, there is rarely a need to discount more than 5% below its own value to get a quick sale, unless your home is in poor condition, has other problems, or your metro area and neighborhood are economically depressed.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Respectfully, I disagree with Perry. When you hire someone to represent you as sellers agent, you are looking for the person who wants to find you the best buyer for your property anywhere. One who is mostly concerned with finding a buyer in their personal database is less interested in marketing to co-brokers, and the public at large. The highest and best price is achieved by reaching the largest possbile pool of buyers. Hire the marketing pro that can achieve that outreach to the vast buyer pool at large, and has the first and foremost concern of your best contract regardless of where it originates.

I know several listing agents who work minimally with buyers, but they are excellent marketers and networkers. Some of th best listing agents only work with a few select buyers that come to them via referral. I know several buyer agents who know their comps and every single property out there, but don't understand internet marketing. And, of course, there are agents who both list and sell. When looking for seller representation, you need marketing skill and an advocate.
Ruthless, , 60558
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Someone who is known and respected by the other Realtors.
Ruth
Web Reference:  http://www.oak-park-il.com
Cristina Vat…, , Chicago, IL
Wed Sep 5, 2007
hmm , the best realtor? The one that looks after your interests and doesn't care about his/her commission only. A realtor that puts your interests before theirs, and guides through the process. A realtor that has good marketing skills and comes from a respectable company that has a good record and a good marketing team. And the most important thing, a realtor that you feel comfortable working with
Jennifer Fer…, , Kingwood, TX
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Hi Juan,

The one who can price it correctly, do an awesome job of the MLS representation and keep the brochure box full!!!

Jennifer :)
Gary Geer, Agent, Antioch, IL
Fri Aug 2, 2013
Juan,
Interview some agents in your area to find a professional to help you.
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Immedaitely question any realtor who would reject accepting offers at any level. If you have 2 or three offers in your hand that are less than what you expected, a good agent will find a way to bridge the gaps. And after the property has sat on the market for more than a month, one of those offers may look good to you as a seller. Always look for 3-4 "low ball" offers from investors. At least you have them as a plan "b" and can always ask for more.

My thoughts are look at every offer, accept as many as you can. If you have one, you can negotiate. If you have none, where do you go? As long as you have offers coming into the home, your mind is focused on the positive energy you need to complete the transaction.
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Hey guys, this is tough market with lots of avialable inventory and good deals out there.... Anyone can sell in a sellers market. Hard work, planning and yes, even marketing skill is not enough in todays buyers market. This person wants to know how to sell now. That means tapping into people you know who are looking to buy.... You have to tap into the pool of qualified buyers in the non-moving, my kids are already in school time. Those buyers are investors....

Another good way to sell now and at a fair price is interview a property management company and ask them for references from three of the top clients, people who own 10 or more properties. When you call them, ask the "reference" if they are open to making an offer on your property.

The best realtor is one that gets results. And results have a plan.
Mr.P, , Arizona
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Sell your House as soon as possible?
That will have to be a Realtor that prices it correctly.
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Ask you realtor how many people they have looking to buy fairly priced properties as an investment. You make the "good" category with 30-40. That realtor should at least earn the right to present an marketing proposal. Try finding 3 of those and then pick the best.
Bob Brandt, Agent, Schaumburg, IL
Mon Aug 5, 2013
Hopefully they sold it about six years ago when they posted the question..
Steve Easton, Agent, chicago, IL
Sun Aug 4, 2013
Short answer ME! Contact me and I can tell you how I am helping people close quick sales and not shorting the price. It's worth the message
Santiago Ken…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Aug 2, 2013
Hola juan alguien que es buena persona y experto en el area de Chicago en venta de casas
http://Www.illinoisbienesraices.com
Javier Varon, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Thu Sep 27, 2007
Juan,
Let's sell your house... right now... for free.

Make sure your house is in good condition and shows great. Often times you can just rent a public storage to make things look better. Make sure the house is available to show anytime by anyone.

Look at comps. Figure out by seeing CLOSED sales what fair market value is. Then price your house at 10% below market level. If you get a ton of showings and no offers then lower the price after 2-3 weeks by 5%. If you have no interest in the property after 2-3 weeks lower the price by 10%. Before each price reduction write a FULL offer to the buyers who showed any kind of interest on the property for the price you will be lowering to. Do that until the house sells.

Make sure you offer a minimum of 3% to buyers agent. And be sure follow up with everyone who's seen the property and get their feedback.

This is what you need to do to sell in this market. Find an agent that has the courage to tell you what you need to do. Any agent relying on Open Houses or Newspaper ads you should stay away from. No amount of advertising works if you are overpriced.

Will, , Chicago, IL
Thu Sep 27, 2007
Juan:

My advice is to find a few realtors that have well known reputations, then interview them. Ask them about their approach, their support teams, their recommendations that they would make to your house to improve the potential. My expereince is that you will hear a lot of the same answers, and then someone will provide a few suggestions that you will realize are important distinctions...They work for you, are paid by you, are employees of yours...spend the time to find the very best possible...good luck
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Humm....Best Realtor could be the one who get's your home sold at the highest and best price in the briefest period of time and keeps you out of court.

So how do you know this? Maybe a proven track record. A Realtor who can price property. One with good negotiating and listening skills. One who can market property.
Mr.P, , Arizona
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Interesting Follow up I just found on Inman, I am only telling you this, because it supports my " Fear of Loss" theory

From Inman News 09/05/07
Price Reduced ... Daily
A home for sale in Edmonton, Canada, will be $1,000 cheaper tomorrow if it doesn't sell today.

Steve Sedgwick, a Realtor for Royal LePage Noralta in Edmonton, Canada, is knocking $1,000 off of the home price per day until the property sells, he announced on Aug. 31. The pricing strategy is intended to call more attention to the property in an environment of swelling for-sale inventory.

The 1,002-square-foot bi-level home had a list price of $375,000 in Canadian dollars ($357,109 in U.S. dollars at the current exchange rate) when the countdown auction began Sept. 1, and as of today is priced at $372,000. The home was reportedly appraised at $385,000 in May 2007.

If the home sells before Sept. 10 the seller will include a "$10,000 home theater package," according to an announcement by Sedgwick. The real estate countdown auction may be the first of its kind in Alberta.

See ya
J R, , New York, NY
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Gee thanks, Deborah! I just explained it that way when got a new listing yesterday. :) Glad you liked it!
Zoraida Matos, , 60106
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Hi Juan , you have obviously recieved alot of good answers, aside from the obvious level of service that should be given to every seller, like your concern for wanting to sell quick an accurate CMA and someone who has the time to invest in you, negotiating skills and like I said the obvious......

i think that many will agree ( maybe not ) that the more open minded you are about really looking at all the data & statistics maybe even an absortion rate and really considering all the advise that a realtor can bring you without having your guards up and thinking that we just want you to give your house away.....

if you would like a CMA on your property and would like me to go over our marketing plan with you, I'd be happy to assit you in the selling of your home.

another thing that people should know and alot do, but many dont ..... is that every brokerage office offers different marketing plans even within franchises.

Itotally agree with christina when she says, work with someone you feel comfortable with.
That always makes the process less stressful......
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Hey JR,
I like your analogy about subcontracting to other Brokers. I would like to incoroprate that in my dialog when talking with sellers. I will note you with the credit for that tag line. Tx
Paul B. Perez, , Austin, TX
Wed Sep 5, 2007
All of these answers have valid points, but it still seems confusing.

I imagine this: I have one REALTOR in each hand.

My left hand holds the agent reciting the REALTOR code of ethics.

My right hand holds the agent who can bring me an ACCEPTABLE offer today.

Which do you choose?

Answer: See definition of ASAP.
Mr.P, , Arizona
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Thanks for clarifying that Jim. Being priced correctly will also create " Fear of loss" and a larger pool of buyers
Mr.P, , Arizona
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Thanks for clarify that Jim. Being priced correctly will also create " Fear of loss" and a larger pool of buyers.