To stage your vacant home or not?

Asked by Jimish S Desai, Wheaton, IL Wed Jun 5, 2013

I always recommend to my sellers to stage their homes if it is going to be vacant. I have found that it leads to more showings, higher offers, and shorter DOM. I do this for my fix & flips as well. Has anyone else experienced this?

Answers

15
Hilda Miller, Agent, colorado springs, CO
Sat Aug 27, 2016
Yes, I do. I've been doing this for 3 years now and I found to be suucessful and more than asking price because I staged the property even my own flip. Yes, you update your house such granite countertops, cabinets. I found that granite countertops is selling point to n uyers lists and plus staging it, is so beautiful and feel good knowing that if you like it, how much more buyers.
Tamara Schus…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Sat Nov 22, 2014
I recommend STAGING and CLEAN house. Staging is the key ingredient along with Price, MARKETING and choosing the right agent to sell for more money and quicker. Even brand new rehabbed homes look better when lightly staged.
Staging is very important and I have so many examples to prove that it makes a huge difference. There are many factors beside STAGING however all are key to a successful transaction.
Anita Saggar, Agent, Naperville, IL
Fri Jan 24, 2014
I don't think it is important to stage. If you want top dollar, it's more important to rehab or finish the property properly. Granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors etc. make a big difference. We just helped a client rehab a property that was previously a foreclosure. We got offers over the asking price.
John Wesolow…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Sat Jan 18, 2014
Jimish.. staging a vacant home almost always improves the chances of selling it quicker and for more money. However, price range is an important factor here.. the higher the price point, the more important it will become to properly stage before showing.
Martha Dorfl…, Agent, Geneva, IL
Thu Jan 2, 2014
It's true that staging really does help to sell the home. Many buyers have a hard time seeing where furniture would go, so it's helpful to see a room staged for the purpose. With flips it's important since most of the time the color scheme is neutral. Staging the home will add a bit of color and make it more attractive.
Veronica Luj…, Agent, Brookline, MA
Wed Nov 27, 2013
I agree with you. It is very important to attract buyers by making it homey and welcome when they walk into the house. Hiring an staging company is a good option too, they can help with all your needs. thanks
Patty Gustin, Agent, Naperville, IL
Wed Nov 27, 2013
Staging is a valuable service however some can be very expensive so depending on your vacant homes price point you will need to determine the investment and expected sale outcome.
Kevin Hudoba, Agent, Carmel, IN
Fri Jun 14, 2013
Jimish,

I have had the same experience as you have described. I have an amazing home stager who does a great job with staging my listings. I've found many home buyers have difficulty imagining a home's full potential by themselves, and staging the home not only makes it have a sharp, clean look, but it also helps buyers form a vision for the space. Definitely never wasted effort in my experience!

Kevin Hudoba
Exit Realty Redefined
(630)677-5559
Kevin.Hudoba1@gmail.com
Jackie Beard…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Sun Jun 9, 2013
When I received my CSC (Certified Staging Certificate) I wondered how much good it would do. Well it has come in very handy. Staging creates a positive emotional picture for the prospective buyer. If a seller can not afford to rent furniture the kitchen and baths can be staged using some nice assecories. However even homes that are not vacant should be staged. A seller does not have to have all of the bells and whistles to generate a quick sale or achieve their desired price. A home that is not cluttered and is spotless will also have a positive effect with buyers.
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Thu Jun 6, 2013
Yes. Staging is critical.

I have items I keep specifically for this purpose. Nothing fancy. But some staging allows for scale. The concept of staging draws from the need of buyers to place themselves in a home. If the owner is already out, the buyer still needs to see a few items that will let them picture their dining room table in your space.

When you go to place your home on the market, you should give attention to these steps:

1) Staging. You can stage your home yourself. You know the concept of reduction. Follow the rule of threes: Three items on a countertop. Three shelves with books, three empty and so on. Remove all personal photos. Rent a storage unit, if you have to, but your home needs to look immaculate.

2) Clean. And clean some more.

3) Do repairs. Everything right down to oiling the hinges on doors should be taken care of. Any torn screens should be replaced. Replace the furnace filter.

These are the basics. There is more that can be done. For instance, the yard should be as immaculate as the kitchen and baths. That means the lawn mowed and paint touched up or painted over.

If you invest in anything it should be paint. Paint for the interior and exterior adds value and is, of course, a key feature of your home.
Tamara Schus…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Great question. Staging is great however it depends on the house. Some require light staging and ither heavier if the house needs it.

A great agent will be you guide.

Tamara Schuster
Broker, Naperville
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Staging correctly is always a good answer. But if there is a limited budget and the money can be spent on an upgrade that means more to the customer - like a new counter or better light fixtures, appliances, etc. I vote for that.

Foreclosure homes and so many vacant homes have changed buyers attitudes about vacant homes. Certain homes must be staged if the layout is awkward or the rooms are smaller.

But I would rather have a home be vacant than staged with outdated furniture, etc.
Kate Shields, Agent, Naperville, IL
Wed Jun 5, 2013
I haven't had to stage listings lately as it seems like they go under contract immediately if they're in good condition and priced right. When I have done staging it was only for oddly shaped areas of the home that would be hard for the buyer to visualize their furniture. Are you doing complete home staging or select rooms?

Kate Shields, Broker
Ryan Hill Realty
Kate, your are right. When a buyer becomes confused regarding what to do with a space...it blocks them COMPLETELY!
Flag Fri Jan 24, 2014
George Mered…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Staging a home is well worth the money. Call me if or email me if you would like more in depth answers like this one. Thank you.
Travis Jacks…, Agent, Campbell, CA
Wed Jun 5, 2013
I just staged a flip which will go on the market this week. The company provided before and after pictures and it seems to be well worth the money. Its easier to convince sellers to stage if you have before/after pictures.

Travis Jackson
Century 21 M & M Associates
DRE#01879566
http://www.408RealEstate.com