To home sellers; Do you feel it is important for your agent to advertise your home in the local newspaper?

Asked by Duffy Smock, Coeur d'Alene, ID Tue Feb 7, 2012

National Association of Realtors studies have found that over 40% of homebuyers found the home they purchased on the internet and only 1% in print media. Knowing this, do you feel the newspaper is still important?

Answers

9
Jim Paulson, Agent, Boise, ID
Tue Feb 7, 2012
I also just realized that the actual number of buyer's that found their home online is even higher than you noted since most MLS systems are internet based. I know the survey's that NAR did were based on finding homes on agent or company websites and sites like Trulia though.

As Realtors, we don't get paid typically to just list homes. We get paid when they sell and close. Therefore, if print media still was effective, we would still be using it so we could get paid sooner.
Jim Paulson, Agent, Boise, ID
Tue Feb 7, 2012
Even though you addressed this to "home sellers", as a licensed Real Estate Broker in Boise, Idaho; I concur with NAR's findings and quit advertising in local newspapers before I quit advertising in "home magazines". I pay a lot of attention to what generates results for my listings with all my tracking ability and found print advertising was a waste of time and money in today's internet based and social media world.

Case in point . . . you are reading this online, since Trulia also doesn't have a "print version".
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri May 24, 2013
Hi Duffy,

Sellers shouldn't expect agents to "reinvent" their marketing plan for the sake of getting their listing. In my opinion, agents would be best served by presenting their written comprehensive marketing plan for the sale of the home.

We all know there are much better means to spend your marketing dollar than patronizing the usually over priced local town crier. Being able to demonstrate what you do to promote the sale of a property should go a long way in fending off any additional unnecessary expenses.

In my opinion, newspaper advertising's effectiveness has decreased significantly....to the point that all agents should be weary of this once dominating marketing tool.

Respectfully,

Rose Loftus, Home Seller, 83814
Thu May 23, 2013
Yes! Any kind of exposure helps!
Memom, Home Seller, Coeur D Alene, ID
Tue Feb 28, 2012
Mr Paulson,
Even having the option is nice. I would pay out of pocket for items not included in the marketing plan. Unfortunately, when we sold our last house we were not given the option to do that. Giving your clients the freedom to choose whether they want more than what is included would be highly appreciated by someone like me.
Jim Paulson, Agent, Boise, ID
Tue Feb 28, 2012
I just read Memom's response and even though it would be nice to us "all" advertising mediums, Realtor's must focus on the ones that provide proven results. If a seller thinks I need to do additional advertising outside of what I include in my marketing plan, I ask them to pay for it and I will credit them the entire cost if in fact it results in a buyer. When they see the costs, they generally back down. When it is my money, they want it all! ;)
Memom, Home Seller, Coeur D Alene, ID
Mon Feb 27, 2012
When buying a home, I check all advertising mediums. Even when we weren't buying I'd take a gander at the real estate section of the paper. So, yes I would like my agent to use any and all advertising mediums.
Frank Dolski, Agent, Lahaska, PA
Thu Feb 9, 2012
Duffy,

I have found that you have to use all mediums to advertise. Print media is deciling but people still read it! At a minimum, advertising open houses in the newspaper is still a must! Most companies have limited their advertising in the newspaper to just that. As far as magazines, I still get a lot of business from Homes and Land Magazine and they have web syndication as well. As far as the Internet, you ,must be everywhere! I measure my success from what works best as well as the ROI!
Web Reference:  http://www.FrankDolski.com
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Thu Feb 9, 2012
Jim's point is well taken ---- do what works! Print is costly and ineffective and generally only makes the seller feel good.

Jeannne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results